[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So, what's your favorite Rush song?

PantherDave

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would posit that Rush is the best collection of individual musicians ever to come together in a trio.

Best songs? Hard to pick...how about this for a 5-song album side?

YYZ

La Villa Strangiato

Red Barchetta

Working Man

Tom Sawyer

Also, as the info say's, the style totally switches from "Rush" to "Fly by Night" all due to the influence and talent of Peart.

A negative influence, possibly, since the first album contains Here Again and Working Man, two of their best songs.

A negative influence, possibly, since the first album contains Here Again and Working Man, two of their best songs.

Wow! Someone else that likes the same relatively unknown song Here Again. Awesome bluesy rock song and Alex Lifeson really turns up the heat on the lead breaks. My faves are all off the wall or relatively unknown songs.

1) Here Again (1st album)

2) Lessons (2112) They never played this song live and I don't know why

3) The Fountain of Lamneth(Caress of Steel) Song was a whole side long one year before the release of 2112.

4) Working Man (1st) Not unknown but when they stopped playing this live is when I lost touch. Don't like the newer music at all.

5) The Camera Eye( Moving Pictures) Another lengthy 10min+ masterpiece

6) 2112 (2112) Probably should be at the top of my list. I have the MFSL CD and it kicks

7) Bytor and the Snow Dog(Fly By Night) A sign of things to come with Neil Peart on board

8) Before and After(1st) Anither hard rocker. I used this song once to get pumped up for a fight in Jr. High. It worked.

9) A Passage To Bangkok(2112) The only thing missing is the Kona bud :D

10) The Necromancer(Caress of Steel) Another lengthy song in 3 parts. Don't like the goofy voice dubs though. Never understood how Bytor went from villain to hero in one year.

I am a hugh fan of the early stuff. I lost interest after Moving Pictures. I have tried to listen to the newer stuff and it's very rare that I find a song that I like. Would have loved to have seen the RD 30 tour as they do a long instrumental at the beginning encompassing all of the early albums up through Permanent Waves. I do have a bootleg of this show though. My favorite Rush albums:

1) Caress of Steel - Rush almost called it quits after this tour. Very unknown album but I love it.

2) 2112

Rush - Tie I love them both. If you like hard driving rock and roll ala Working Man, you'll love the first

4) Moving Pictures- Probably their most popular album and I agree that it kicks(I have the MFSL CD of this one also)

Great thread. I've been a Rush fan since '75. Their DVD's are simply fabulous. Anyone here read Neil Pearts book, 'Roadshow, Landscape with Drums'? It's a pretty good book.

My favorites:

YYZ

La Villa Strangiato

Red Barchetta

Tom Sawyer

The Big Money

Edited by Hipster Doofus

To me Geddy Lee is the best Bassist ever with Chris Squire from Yes in 2nd place.

Ever listen to Max Webster a Lee side project. My ex was best friends with the wife of the drummer from Max Webster. Met Lee and got backstage for a Rush concert. we're talking '82-83

Tom Sawyer

Edited by SLAYER

Exit Stage Left was the last album they did worth anything, but the stuff before then was transcendent.

2112 Suite - What can I say?

Lakeside Park - Neil Peart is a better lyracist than he is a drummer

Working Man - An incredible amount of energy in a very simple tune. I also find it ironic that John Rutsey was the drummer with the band when this song came out, but Neil Peart used it for his drum solos. Why not one of his own?

Wow, a three page Rush threat? I'm impressed!

I don't think I can pick A favorite song. I can name a few favorite albums and a favorite or two of each of those, though!

Hold Your Fire - Force Ten and Time Stands Still

Moving Pictures - YYZ and The Camera Eye

Permanent Waves - The Spirit of Radio

2112 - 2112

And from their two newest ones, Half the World gets my vote.

They're putting out a new one pretty soon, I think. My poor husband is getting drug along to see them again when they tour. He sits firmly in the "Hate them" camp. Poor guy. :D

Like Zep, there are many I like/love, but my two fav's are "The Limelight" and "The Tree's". I'd have to give the nod to the "The Tree's". Rush is a band that most either love or hate. While I have said my admiration for Thin Lizzy is deep and they are one of my fav's-my "Big 3" if you will are, Zep, VH, and Rush. So, once again-name yours.................

Wow, it's been soooo long since I've even heard a Rush song it's hard to remember which one's were my favorites. Have to say Limelight & Tree's were right up there.

YYZ. :D

Edit:

Beat me to that one. Awesome tune!

Fly By Night

ties

Closer To The Heart

Two good one's as well. :tup: Closer to the Heart live is great.

I have some Neil Peart drumsticks with his stamped on sig on them. Anyone interested in them? Pm me. I won them on a local radio call in contest.