[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1 Player Keeper

12 Team Re-draft (except for 1 player keeper). This coming season I can keep 1 player currently on my roster from last year as long as he was drafted later than rounds 1-4. I can only keep this 1 player for 1 year. And keeping him will cost me my 4th round pick this coming season. I have two strong candidates to choose from.

Drew Brees

Marques Colston

Thos are my best guys that were drafted later than round 4 last year. I could also choose Ladell Betts, but I think both Brees and Colston will be more valuable than Betts. Tough call though... which one would you keep?

Do you have to keep a player? I'm not sure Iwould want to keep either for a 4th rounder. You should be able to get either, or comparable players at the 4th or even later.

No I do not need to keep anyone. I'm not sure I agree with you though. I think both of those players will be potentially 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounders in this league.

IMO then, Colston of the two. QBs of similar caliber can definitely be had much later in most leagues.

I have to agree with the logic here but I rarely draft a QB before th 5th rounds so I don't value them as much as other positions.

Either one of those guys figures to go in the 4th round or earlier, so trading a 4th round pick for either gives you at least equivalent value. As to which one to keep, I'd let the scoring system decide for me. If QBs get 6 pts/all TDs, I'd be sorely tempted to keep Brees. In a 4 pt/passing TD league, QBs are devalued somewhat, so I'd probably keep Colston.

What are the chances of trading one for a draft pick & then keeping the other?

Either one of those guys figures to go in the 4th round or earlier, so trading a 4th round pick for either gives you at least equivalent value. As to which one to keep, I'd let the scoring system decide for me. If QBs get 6 pts/all TDs, I'd be sorely tempted to keep Brees. In a 4 pt/passing TD league, QBs are devalued somewhat, so I'd probably keep Colston.

what do you think adding e johnson to the team is going to do to colstons #'s ?

if healthy they now have a liget TE and with horn gone coston should be used more as a WR

give up receptions (ppr leagues )

Unfortunately zero chance of trading. Either you keep one of your guys or you don't. No other options.

Couple of other points. This is not PPR league. And QB's only get 4 points per TD, but the really good QB's can still be the highest scorers... the question remains however, will Brees be as good this coming season as he was this last season?

Unfortunately zero chance of trading. Either you keep one of your guys or you don't. No other options.

Couple of other points. This is not PPR league. And QB's only get 4 points per TD, but the really good QB's can still be the highest scorers... the question remains however, will Brees be as good this coming season as he was this last season?

Brees ought to have a fine year, but at 4 pts/passing TD, how much separation is there between the #3 & the #10 QB? A top WR in a pass happy O is a good commodity for a 4th round pick, but WRs are devalued also with no ppr.

That said, I'd say flip a coin with a lean to Colston.

If you had to guess, what does it seem like everyone else is doing? If WRs seem to be the flavor of everyone's keeper, I'd do the same and keep Colston given the premium on WRs, more bang for your buck so to speak.

Here is how the two compared to others at their position last season:

QB's scored

Manning - 441

Brees - 376 <-----

Brady - 338

Palmer - 317

Bulger - 314

Kitna - 312

Vick - 304

Grossman - 290

Favre - 277

Rivers - 270

WR's scored

Harrison - 224

Wayne - 221

Owens - 203

CJohnson - 187

Evans - 182

Walker - 181

Driver - 178

Holt - 178

Smith - 177

Burress - 176

RWilliams - 169

Colston - 166 <-----

DJackson - 158

Brees ought to have a fine year, but at 4 pts/passing TD, how much separation is there between the #3 & the #10 QB? A top WR in a pass happy O is a good commodity for a 4th round pick, but WRs are devalued also with no ppr.

Ask and you shall receive. Taking a 3-year average of fantasy points, using a generic system of 4-pt per pass TD, 6 pt all others and, 1 per 25 passing yards and 1 per 10 rush/rec. the #3 QB had a value of 51, the #10 QB a value of 7. (value is taking FF Pts scored and subtracting the lowest scoring starter from that total, in this case the #12 QB, the #36 WR, assuming 3 WRs start)

In comparison, the #14 WR had a value of 50. So, if you perceive Colston to be a top 14 WR, based on historical stats, you should likely keep him over Brees. If you have him below the top 14, then it comes down to where you see Brees performing this season.

(Note that based on the stats pulled from FLM and the generic scoring system I used, Manning scored 322 points, Brees 279, Harrison 201 and Colston 145, so obviously some difference in scoring system need to be considered)

Edited by Big Country

Ask and you shall receive. Taking a 3-year average of fantasy points, using a generic system of 4-pt per pass TD, 6 pt all others and, 1 per 25 passing yards and 1 per 10 rush/rec. the #3 QB had a value of 51, the #10 QB a value of 7. (value is taking FF Pts scored and subtracting the lowest scoring starter from that total, in this case the #12 QB, the #36 WR, assuming 3 WRs start)

In comparison, the #14 WR had a value of 50. So, if you perceive Colston to be a top 14 WR, based on historical stats, you should likely keep him over Brees. If you have him below the top 14, then it comes down to where you see Brees performing this season.

(Note that based on the stats pulled from FLM and the generic scoring system I used, Manning scored 322 points, Brees 279, Harrison 201 and Colston 145, so obviously some difference in scoring system need to be considered)

:D Dude... thanks!

:D Dude... thanks!

:D Have all this stuff pulled for an article I want to work on..... not that i have anywhere for it to go or know exactly what direction I want to go, but, I should be able to clearly show the affect of PPR on value across positions using the 3-year stats and the affect of going from 4 pt to 6 pt passing TDs on the overall value of QBs. (And also modifying the lineup requirements within a scoring system)

Seriously....name another QB that you can get that you would be comfortable drafting. Now name any # of WR's you could take. If you are very lucky you maybe could get Bulger, but even then I'm not comfortable. The bottom line is, a solid receiver is a lot easier to draft than a solid QB.

I take Brees. Good WRs are more plentiful than top 3 QBS

I guess if you consider Brees a top 3 QB then.

But, even so, looking strictly at "value" in a standard scoring system based on the last 3 years of stats, the #3 QB is equivalent to the #14WR. Guess if you are confident that Brees is the #3 (or better) QB and that Colston is below the top 14 in WRs, you may have a good point, otherwise, it is still a coin flip, and I lean Colston as good QBs generally can still be had in the 7th-8th round or later.