[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What was your favorite concert attended?

Randall

Cinco de Mayo Fest at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley around 88 or 89. Since we were a bunch of white kids, we'd really never heard of anyone but Santana and were essentially just there to see him. However, the entire show was amazing and I remember being totally blown away by Poncho Sanchez and Charlie Palmieri. Before Santana came on, I remember thinking that it was already about the best show I'd ever seen. Then he freaking rocked crazy and I practically forgot everything that had happened prior.

Interesting collection of people. Latinos all dressed up salsa dancing right next to a bunch of dirty hippies doing the stupid hippie twirly dance.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lollapalooza 1992 - Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Ministry, Lush, Jesus and Mary Chain, Ice Cube and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

1990 - Pearl Jam played at KU. Small venue before anyone ever heard of them.

Edited by twiley

They were very good. Duane Allman and Berry both died on the same day at almost the same spot 1 year apart as I remember.

Very good but with Duane Great.

Went to the warehouse in '71 to see a band I can't even remember. The Allman Bros were the opening act and had never heard of them before. so they're setting the stage and they set up 2 drum sets and we are thinking one is for the main group. well about 15 min or so the announcer comes out and says so and so can't make it tonite they had bus trouble. if you ant your money back go to the ticket window etc.

Anyway Greg walks out on stage grabs the mike and says for those who want to hear some good blues and southern R&R stick around we are Tha Allmans Brothers Band and we will bw right out. S o we figure what the hell we there, stoned, and ready. so we stayed.This band comes out with 2 drummers and the sweetest slide guitar player I ever heard in my life. They played for 3 hrs, did like Filmore, 25 min jam sessions, just totally unbelievable since they were unknown at the time and this was their first tour.

Three favorites:

1. Live Aid, 1985 = music was great, but the experience itslef was amazing. Arrived at 11:00PM the night before, partied all night, then unexpectedly was allowed to enter JFK at 8:00AM (instead of the 10:00 time on the ticket), so we got to be about 6 rows from the stage on the field. They showed the UK performances live on the big screens. After Joan Baez, Philly's own Hooters rocked the house.

2. Grateful Dead, 1989(?) = not sure the year, but it was the last concert ever played at JFK. About 110,00 packed in for a 4-hour show, mid-July, in about 95 degree heat. I barely remember how much fun I had.

3. Madonna, 1983 = oddly, a fantastic show. Perhaps it was because I went with a hot cheerleader from our rival high school who thanked me kindly on our way home? :D All kidding aside, I wasn't expecting much, but it was a phenomenal dance party, hot chicks everywhere. BTW, it is ghey week, isn't it?

Got a few more to add:

Rush on the Test for Echos tour at what used to be USAir Arena. I forget the year. While they're great outside, I love the light show that goes along with Dreamline, that opened the show.

Billy Joel last year.

Also last year, Queen with Paul Rogers.

Oz Fest '98 Nissan Pavillion. Ozzy, TooL, Coal Chamber, Syatem of a Down on the 2nd stage, Limp Bizkit. Tool was the highlight of the show for sure. I dont like Limp Bizkit but it was fun cause we had like 3rd row seats and I suppose all of thier fans were sitting on the grass cause the pavilion was empty when they came on. So the singer tells everyone in the grass to storm the seats and they do. Imagine 5000 hillbilly L.B. fans jumping over the railing, rushing the stage and sitting down next to you trying to blend in. I mean I looked back to the grass and it was literally a wall of people those poor security guards were trying to hold back. Good times.

Four way tie for second:

Helmet, Clutch and Jawbox at the original 9:30 club in Georgetown.

Nine Inch Nails and A Perfect Circle at Merriweather Post Pavilion, Pit Tix.

TooL, the opening show at the new 9:30 club near Howard University, Undertow Tour.

The Dismsmberment Plan (VERY underrated band, IMO), free show at some open air park near American University.

I saw Queens of the Stone Age at the new 9:30 for thier "Rated R" tour. There were literally like 20 people there. The next day in the paper they had a write up on them in the Washington Post about the show. Apparently some poeple were upset that it was an all ages show and they had a song on that album "Feel Good Hit of the Summer" where the only lyrics were "Nicotene, valium, vicoden, marajuana, ecstacy and alcohol...c c c cocaine" So me and my got the back of our heads in the pic watchin the show in the article. She still has the clipping.

Four way tie for second:

Helmet, Clutch and Jawbox at the original 9:30 club in Georgetown.

Nine Inch Nails and A Perfect Circle at Merriweather Post Pavilion, Pit Tix.

TooL, the opening show at the new 9:30 club near Howard University, Undertow Tour.

The Dismsmberment Plan (VERY underrated band, IMO), free show at some open air park near American University.

funny, Zach Barocas married one of my best friends and we are pals...

We attended a dinner concert in Tahoe that had Merle Haggard, Conway Twitty and George Jones. Our table was right up against the stage.

My 2nd favorite was Night Ranger where that girl made the flash light disappear.

Trying to make plans to go to The Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival. Three day event held in Manchester, TN in mid June.

2007 Line Up

The Police • Tool • Widespread Panic • The White Stripes • Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals • Wilco • The Flaming Lips • MANU CHAO Radio Bemba Sound System • The String Cheese Incident • Franz Ferdinand • Bob Weir & Ratdog • Damien Rice • Ween • Gov't Mule • Ziggy Marley • The Decemberists • The Roots • Kings of Leon • Michael Franti and Spearhead • Wolfmother • Regina Spektor • The Black Keys • Galactic • DJ Shadow • Gillian Welch • Spoon • Keller Williams (WMD'S) • Sasha & John Digweed • STS9 • Old Crow Medicine Show • The Hold Steady • Lily Allen • North Mississippi Allstars • Fountains Of Wayne • Hot Tuna • Feist • Hot Chip • John Butler Trio • Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys • Aesop Rock • The Richard Thompson Band • Dierks Bentley • James Blood Ulmer • Xavier Rudd • Gogol Bordello • Junior Brown • Tortoise • T-Bone Burnett • Mavis Staples • Clutch • Cold War Kids • Dr. Dog • Paolo Nutini • Brazilian Girls • RX Bandits • The Nightwatchman • The Slip • Girl Talk • Railroad Earth • Martha Wainwright • Rodrigo y Gabriela • Annuals • Tea Leaf Green • Sam Roberts Band • The National • Elvis Perkins in Dearland • Charlie Louvin • Sonya Kitchell • The Wild Magnolia Mardi Gras Indians • Mute Math • Apollo Sunshine • Uncle Earl • The Little Ones • Black Angels • Ryan Shaw

http://www.bonnaroo.com/

Edited by Rockerbraves

funny, Zach Barocas married one of my best friends and we are pals...

No $hit... :D Tell him I said wazzup! Great live show they put on. Tell him his drums made "Savory" such a good song. Crowd went nutz for that one. Mad props. I still love that band.

Trying to make plans to go to The Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival. Three day event held in Manchester, TN in mid June.

2007 Line Up

The Police • Tool • Widespread Panic • The White Stripes • Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals • Wilco • The Flaming Lips • MANU CHAO Radio Bemba Sound System • The String Cheese Incident • Franz Ferdinand • Bob Weir & Ratdog • Damien Rice • Ween • Gov't Mule • Ziggy Marley • The Decemberists • The Roots • Kings of Leon • Michael Franti and Spearhead • Wolfmother • Regina Spektor • The Black Keys • Galactic • DJ Shadow • Gillian Welch • Spoon • Keller Williams (WMD'S) • Sasha & John Digweed • STS9 • Old Crow Medicine Show • The Hold Steady • Lily Allen • North Mississippi Allstars • Fountains Of Wayne • Hot Tuna • Feist • Hot Chip • John Butler Trio • Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys • Aesop Rock • The Richard Thompson Band • Dierks Bentley • James Blood Ulmer • Xavier Rudd • Gogol Bordello • Junior Brown • Tortoise • T-Bone Burnett • Mavis Staples • Clutch • Cold War Kids • Dr. Dog • Paolo Nutini • Brazilian Girls • RX Bandits • The Nightwatchman • The Slip • Girl Talk • Railroad Earth • Martha Wainwright • Rodrigo y Gabriela • Annuals • Tea Leaf Green • Sam Roberts Band • The National • Elvis Perkins in Dearland • Charlie Louvin • Sonya Kitchell • The Wild Magnolia Mardi Gras Indians • Mute Math • Apollo Sunshine • Uncle Earl • The Little Ones • Black Angels • Ryan Shaw

I wanna go soooo bad... Last years line up was better though. Radiohead, Beck and Modest Mouse on one ticket is hard to top.

No $hit... :D Tell him I said wazzup! Great live show they put on. Tell him his drums made "Savory" such a good song. Crowd went nutz for that one. Mad props. I still love that band.

me too, I loved them growing up...then my friend Kimberley moved to NYC and they met and married...he lives in Minneapolis now...just saw them last week...

2007 Line Up

Hot Tuna now that's a blast from the past. Good to hear they're still kicking and playing. they are like what early 70's now. great bass in his days, not bad guitar either.

Pink Floyd late 80's at Sacramento City College. It was the first and last concert ever held there. It was at an outdoor stadium right by neighborhoods. We were a two blocks away and my husband listened to it in our backyard. Lots of neighbor complaints. It was mostly fuddy duddy politicians living in our neighborhood.

Another surprising fave was a Billy Joel Elton John concert late 90's in Salt Lake City. I have never owned a BJ or EJ album but they were so fun in concert.

Been to lots of Grateful Dead concerts but only went to one when I was straight and actually had more fun. That was at the Greek Theater in Berkeley sometime in the 90's.

I did get back stage to a Dead concert in Stanford but you couldn't hear or see the band. The only good thing was the nice spread of free food, but you had to pay for drinks. Did meet Micky Hart but he was really rude. Jerry Garcia was so stoned they had to wake him up as he was leaning against a tree and guide him to the stage when it was time to go on.

Lollapalooza 1992 - Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Ministry, Lush, Jesus and Mary Chain, Ice Cube and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

1990 - Pearl Jam played at KU. Small venue before anyone ever heard of them.

Very Nice, I am jealous- seeing PJ in '90 must have been awesome. Still the best live band I have ever seen bar none. A couple shows that stand out

- 1992 Pre Versus tour saw em at a small club, unnanounced show- they rocked it for 2.5 hours -

- Free Show w/100k peeps in Seattle with Cypress Hill - unreal

Stones- those aliens can still rock it

1972 - Grand Funk Railroad with Black Oak Arkansas

2004 - Kid Rock Love the on stage strippers

Multiple times - Eric Clapton

I wish I saw a good Clapton concert. Only concert I went to was during his I Shot the Sheriff days and most of his songs he was using these awful female back-up vocals in skimpy outfits-it was a bust. Maybe you guy huddlers would liked the view but it wasn't Clapton.

I saw that show here in Florida, but I don't remember Pearl Jam. I do know Metallica and Soundgarden played. I went to see Soundgarden. My last experience with the shroom tea. :D

My very first concert of Kiss and Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Ban d back in 1976 was awesome.

Eagles and the Little River Band during The Long Run tour I believe

Eric Clapton in Orlando during the Journeyman tour 1989-90

Yes in the round in Orlando with all members new and old. Big Generator tour?

Black Sabbath in 1978(Ozzie's last year). Van Halen opened up with debut album material. Pittsburgh

Many many more and I'm sure I'm leaving quite a few great ones off. The memory sucks these days. I used to save all of my concert stubbs but don't remember what I did with them all.

I saw Queens of the Stone Age at the new 9:30 for thier "Rated R" tour. There were literally like 20 people there. The next day in the paper they had a write up on them in the Washington Post about the show. Apparently some poeple were upset that it was an all ages show and they had a song on that album "Feel Good Hit of the Summer" where the only lyrics were "Nicotene, valium, vicoden, marajuana, ecstacy and alcohol...c c c cocaine" So me and my got the back of our heads in the pic watchin the show in the article. She still has the clipping.

Man I wanted to see that show. Great album and band.

Some favorites: Cracker at Tipitinas. Primus at Tips was amazing too. So were numerous Funky Meters performances there. Wait, I remember my favorite:

Bad Brains at the old 9:30 club with Minor Threat.