[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saint Patrick

10g_DBA

Celebrating A Man of God

Saint Patrick was named Maewyn Succat at his birth, somewhere near the end of the fourth century. He took on the name Patrick or Patricus, after he became a priest, much later in his life. At the age of sixteen Maewyn Succat was kidnapped from his native land of Britain by a band pirates and sold into slavery in Ireland. Maewyn worked as a shepherd and turned to religion for solace. After six long years of slavery he escaped to the northern coast of Gaul.

In Gaul, Maewyn became Patrick (a more christian name) and studied in the monastery under St. Germain, bishop of Auxerre for twelve years. He came to believe that it was his calling to convert the pagans of Ireland to Christianity.

Patrick was about sixty years old when he arrived in Ireland and it is said that he had a winning personality that helped him win converts. He used the shamrock, which resembles a three-leafed clover, to help explain the concept of the Trinity (father, son, holy spirit).

Patrick was arrested several times, but escaped each time. He traveled throughout Ireland, establishing monasteries and setting up schools and churches to aid in converting the Irish country to Christianity. Legend has it that Saint Patrick drove all the snakes out of Ireland. The snake is a pagan symbol and perhaps this is a figurative tale explaining that he drove paganism out of Ireland.

Patrick's mission in Ireland lasted for thirty years. He then retired to County Down and died on March 17 in 461 AD. That day has been commemorated as St. Patrick's Day ever since. The first year St. Patrick's Day was celebrated in this country was 1737 in Boston, Massachusetts. As the saying goes, on this day "everybody is Irish!" Over 100 U.S. cities now hold Saint Patrick's Day parades.

Anyone who is in the Chicago area, and went to the Chicago Parade or the South Side Irish Parade from the late early 70's to early 90's no doubt saw my grandfather, as he was the official Leprechaun who walked alongside the Queen in both parades. If he couldn't make both (sometimes I think they're on the same day), the Chicago one he didn't miss for like 23 years.

I honor my dad, God rest his soul, every St. Patty's Day by doing a shot of Bushmill's. I usually have a bottle of it in the house to keep me from going to the bar and getting started if you know what I mean. This year I have no bottle of Bushmill's so I may have to hit the bar on the way home from work. :D

Maybe I should bring my woman with me to keep me under control. :D It is Saturday night afterall.

Or maybe just head to the liquor store and buy a bottle then honor my dad a bunch of times. :tup:

I'm English, but I suppose that being Catholic makes me "Irish enough" to partake. :D

I once heard a comedian call himself Irish-Catholic. And then he said, "Actually, that's the only type of Irish there is... if your Irish-Protestant then you're not Irish at all... you're English."

So I guess this could work in reverse for you. :D

I once heard a comedian call himself Irish-Catholic. And then he said, "Actually, that's the only type of Irish there is... if your Irish-Protestant then you're not Irish at all... you're English."

So I guess this could work in reverse for you. :D

Did you know that Irish Protestants wear orange on st patty day. Irish Catholics wear green.

Anyone who is in the Chicago area, and went to the Chicago Parade or the South Side Irish Parade from the late early 70's to early 90's no doubt saw my grandfather, as he was the official Leprechaun who walked alongside the Queen in both parades. If he couldn't make both (sometimes I think they're on the same day), the Chicago one he didn't miss for like 23 years.

A "tip'o' the-hat' to him! :D

May your glass be ever full.

May the roof over your head be always strong.

And may you be in heaven

half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Did you know that Irish Protestants wear orange on st patty day. Irish Catholics wear green.

I heard that wearing orange to St Patty's Day celebrations could cause trouble. :D

Celebrating A Man of God

Saint Patrick was named Maewyn Succat at his birth, somewhere near the end of the fourth century. He took on the name Patrick or Patricus, after he became a priest, much later in his life. At the age of sixteen Maewyn Succat was kidnapped from his native land of Britain by a band pirates and sold into slavery in Ireland. Maewyn worked as a shepherd and turned to religion for solace. After six long years of slavery he escaped to the northern coast of Gaul.

In Gaul, Maewyn became Patrick (a more christian name) and studied in the monastery under St. Germain, bishop of Auxerre for twelve years. He came to believe that it was his calling to convert the pagans of Ireland to Christianity.

Patrick was about sixty years old when he arrived in Ireland and it is said that he had a winning personality that helped him win converts. He used the shamrock, which resembles a three-leafed clover, to help explain the concept of the Trinity (father, son, holy spirit).

Patrick was arrested several times, but escaped each time. He traveled throughout Ireland, establishing monasteries and setting up schools and churches to aid in converting the Irish country to Christianity. Legend has it that Saint Patrick drove all the snakes out of Ireland. The snake is a pagan symbol and perhaps this is a figurative tale explaining that he drove paganism out of Ireland.

Patrick's mission in Ireland lasted for thirty years. He then retired to County Down and died on March 17 in 461 AD. That day has been commemorated as St. Patrick's Day ever since. The first year St. Patrick's Day was celebrated in this country was 1737 in Boston, Massachusetts. As the saying goes, on this day "everybody is Irish!" Over 100 U.S. cities now hold Saint Patrick's Day parades.

Where you gonna be tomorrow? Heading down to Fado block party. PM me your # if you're interested in meeting up for a :D ... or I'll catch ya soon.

I wear green nipple tassles