[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can my landlord charge me?

BigMikeinNY

I woke up this morning and 12 inches of snow had been removed from my driveway. Looks like my landlord did it. When I saw him at my mailbox I said "thank you". He said dont worry about it, "you owe me 10 bucks"

Can my landlord charge me for shoveling my driveway - A shoveling that I did not ask for.

BM

I woke up this morning and 12 inches of snow had been removed from my driveway. Looks like my landlord did it. When I saw him at my mailbox I said "thank you". He said dont worry about it, "you owe me 10 bucks"

Can my landlord charge me for shoveling my driveway - A shoveling that I did not ask for.

BM

Is it in the lease?

fwiw... $10 is a bargain. Give it to him and ask him to keep it up.

BM

If there is a provision for snow removal in your lease, then yes.

If I woke up on a Sat. and found that 12 inches of snow was removed from my drive-way and all it cost me was 10 bucks, I would smile, pull the covers back over and hit the snooze button. I mean 10 bucks!?

Heck, I would probably thrown in an extra 10 for the effort.

$10 is a steal. You oughta buy him some beer too or something. Especially since this was that really heavy, wet snow. Widowmaker snow. I bet he was kidding though.

Now, if he were trying to charge you $50, that would be different.

If I woke up on a Sat. and found that 12 inches of snow was removed from my drive-way and all it cost me was 10 bucks, I would smile, pull the covers back over and hit the snooze button. I mean 10 bucks!?

Heck, I would probably thrown in an extra 10 for the effort.

agreed. When we were kids we'd shovel people's driveways for whatever they thought it was worth, for a little spending money. Do kids do this sort of thing anymore? I have'nt seen any around here.

agreed. When we were kids we'd shovel people's driveways for whatever they thought it was worth, for a little spending money. Do kids do this sort of thing anymore? I have'nt seen any around here.

I think child labor laws are in there somewhere now days. Probably taxes and workmans comp too.

Unless its in the lease he shouldnt charge you anything. Its his house therefore his responsibility to remove the snow..I agree 10 bucks is not a lot for what he did but he is the homeowner not you.

are you saying I'm breaking the law with my team of 7 and 8 year olds that I force to shovel snow for 50 cents an hour? :D

:D

I've been looking for a business model that makes sense for me to invest in, and this is fantastic. Is this scalable if we want to expand nationwide?

Unless its in the lease he shouldnt charge you anything. Its his house therefore his responsibility to remove the snow..I agree 10 bucks is not a lot for what he did but he is the homeowner not you.

:D I would think that unless it's in the lease he's not responsible to remove the snow at all...

:D I would think that unless it's in the lease he's not responsible to remove the snow at all...

Im assuming the landlord lives in the home otherwise you may be right

Since I had my knee replacement surygery at the end of January, I have had 2 of my neighbors taking care of our Driveway, 4 snow/ice storms they have taken care of for us. We bought each family a $50 gift card at our local Martins grocery store, 1 of the neighbors even broke our snow blower and offered to replace it, we told him not to worry about it.

Take the $10 snow shoveling and not worry about it, you just got a HUGH bargin dude.

Pay him the $10. Then the next time something very minor breaks in your home, fix it yourself and present him with a nice bill for services rendered.

:D:D man you crack me up a lot

Pay him the $10. Then the next time something very minor breaks in your home, fix it yourself and present him with a nice bill for services rendered.

Agreed.

Funnily enough, I think the daily news had a column that answered your very question. The landlord is in fact responsible for the driveway in NY.

Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure that's what it said.

Also start calling your landlord at all hours to ask that he fix things.

Like burned out lightbulbs