[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm F'in PO'ed

darin3

I am truely amazed at your adamament defense of drinking and driving ... and of the support you are getting from other Huddlers.

I also truely hope that me and my loved ones are never on the same roads with all of you guys that think it is okay to drink all day and then drive after a couple hours of sobering up time.

I don't disagree with your POV, I just disagree with the way you kept poking at the point rather than making it, disagreeing with that part of his issue and moving on.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

But yeah, I probably had not driven after taking a shot within 20 minutes +/- but in all honesty, after the pumping of adrenaline and the 6-7 block walk to the car, I'm pretty certain it was all but burnt off.

I had a kicked-out, vomiting and crying loved one, sitting on the curb of a bar we had just unjustifiably been kicked out from.

I sprinted, purse and hugh cup of water (that they tried to take from me at the door) in hand, for 25 minutes to rescue my beau.

http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm

Exercise won't sober you up any faster, but feel free to run around the block as many times as you like. The deputies at the jail ask us to remind you to shower after your long run and before you drive a car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content

Alcohol is removed from the bloodstream by a combination of metabolism, excretion, and evaporation. The relative proportion disposed of in each way varies from person to person, but typically about 90 to 98% is metabolised, 1 to 3% is excreted in urine, and 1 to 5% evaporates through the breath. A very small proportion (less than 0.5%) is also excreted in the sweat, tears, etc. Excretion into urine typically begins after about 40 minutes, whereas metabolisation commences as soon as the alcohol is absorbed, and even before alcohol levels have risen in the brain. (In fact, in some males, alcohol dehydrogenase levels in the stomach are high enough that some metabolization occurs even before the alcohol is absorbed.)

Metabolism is mainly by the group of six enzymes collectively called alcohol dehydrogenase. These convert the ethanol into acetaldehyde (an intermediate that is actually more toxic than ethanol). The enzyme acetaldehyde dehydrogenase then converts the acetaldehyde into non-toxic acetyl-CoA.

Many physiologically active materials are removed from the bloodstream (whether by metabolism or excretion) at a rate proportional to the current concentration, so that they exhibit exponential decay with a characteristic halflife (see pharmacokinetics). This is not true for alcohol, however. Typical doses of alcohol actually saturate the enzymes' capacity, so that alcohol is removed from the bloodstream at an approximately constant rate. This rate varies considerably between individuals; experienced male drinkers with a high body mass may process up to 30 grams (38 mL) per hour, but a more typical figure is 10 grams (12.7 mL) per hour. Persons below the age of 25, women, persons of certain ethnicities, and persons with liver disease may process alcohol more slowly. Many east Asians (e.g. about half of Japanese) have impaired acetaldehyde dehydrogenase; this causes acetaldehyde levels to peak higher, producing more severe hangovers and other effects such as flushing and tachycardia. Conversely, members of certain ethnicities that traditionally did not brew alcoholic beverages have lower levels of alcohol dehydrogenases and thus "sober up" very slowly, but reach lower aldehyde concentrations and have milder hangovers. Rate of detoxification of alcohol can also be slowed by certain drugs which interfere with the action of alcohol dehydrogenases, notably aspirin, furfural (which may be found in fusel oil), fumes of certain solvents, many heavy metals, and some pyrazole compounds. Also suspected of having this effect are cimetidine (Tagamet), ranitidine (Zantac) and acetaminophen (Tylenol).

There are currently no known drugs or other ingestible agents which will accelerate alcohol metabolism. Alcohol ingestion can be slowed by ingesting alcohol on a full stomach. Alcohol in non-carbonated beverages is absorbed more slowly than alcohol in carbonated drinks.

Edited by Grits and Shins

I don't disagree with your POV, I just disagree with the way you kept poking at the point rather than making it, disagreeing with that part of his issue and moving on.

Well I've had a couple of drinks myself tonight ... first in awhile ... at a buddy's birthday celebration.

And before you ask ... my wife drives whenever we go any where. I got tired of listening to her bitch about my driving so now she drives and she does not drink.

Edited by Grits and Shins

Well I've had a couple of drinks myself tonight ... first in awhile ... at a buddy's birthday celebration.

And before you ask ... my wife drives whenever we go any where. I got tired of listening to her bitch about my driving so now she drives.

I went out to eat at a local BBQ joint that serves some good grub, owned by the irish and the place is always decked out with their heritage so we went there to give them some business on there day. I had two green beers and drove home....but I had them after my meal on a full stomach :D

Edited by Hat Trick

I'm guessing that this bar has A LOT of experience with patrons leaving their DL's and CC's behind for the night. I wouldn't worry too much about false charges or identity theft ,etc. I would just wait until tomorrow morning and drive down first thing to pick up your stuff.

Go find your drunk fiancee... slip her a little St. Patty's Day Pot O'Gold, have a good night's sleep, and then roll on some Irish SPring deodorant and get your stuff back. I dare anyone to come up with a better plan!

I just want to point out two statements from Darin in this thread...

1. I have been drinking all day, but since I am a f'in fish, I am nowhere near wasted

2. I was completely sober

:D

me and Mrs. Cliaz went up to an Applebees in Gambrills to meet up with my Aunt Cathy and her crew. The wife and I have a rule. We both have one beer. Then after that beer we decided who is driving and who is drinking. No fighting about it at the time. Tonight it was her that got to get wasted.

My wife is funny when she gets drunk. one year (funny enough on a St. Patty's day) she got wasted and jumped up on the bar at the Green Turtle and started dancing. Because I was really tight with the owner and the manager we didn't get kicked out.

We did, however get a lot of $1 bills thrown our way :D

But when she drinks, the wife can be out of control (in a good/funny way) and I always sit back and enjoy her cutting loose.

Edited by cliaz

I just want to point out two statements from Darin in this thread...

1. I have been drinking all day, but since I am a f'in fish, I am nowhere near wasted

2. I was completely sober

OK perhaps I mis-spoke. I had put down several beers/shots in the DAYtime hours. Once we met up with our friend, I decided to stop drinking, as I was the best candidate to be the "sober driver" at that point. After 3+ hours of no drinks (minus one shot), I felt 100% comfortable to drive.

I'm guessing that this bar has A LOT of experience with patrons leaving their DL's and CC's behind for the night. I wouldn't worry too much about false charges or identity theft ,etc. I would just wait until tomorrow morning and drive down first thing to pick up your stuff.

Go find your drunk fiancee... slip her a little St. Patty's Day Pot O'Gold, have a good night's sleep, and then roll on some Irish SPring deodorant and get your stuff back. I dare anyone to come up with a better plan!

I'm not too worried about any bogus charges. I will work them to no end if there are bogus charges.

Fiancee' is in a heap on our bed... I'll sleep on my Lazy-Boy or couch. :D

-----

And thanks to all of you with heady responses. You're certainly echoing the thoughts I have but was hoping maybe one of you had an experience like this with positive results. Thanks again.

Is it the fact of being thrown out of the bar that's a big deal? If so, I don't get it. I've been thrown out of more bars than I could count. Not sure why this is not just being chalked up as another one. :D

:D I guess some look at it as a badge of glory. If I woulda been trashed and making a complete ass out of myself, that's one thing.... but I was seriously sober, had probably spent 150-200 bucks on drinks for my fiancee, a friend of ours and a few deserving Army boys, and have been a pretty loyal and well-tipping customer of theirs in the past.

Good info here. :D

Bummer that you got thrown out of the bar. I'm thinkin' it was a case of St. Patrick's Day hypersensitivity on the owner's part.

Damn, I wish I would have thought about calling the BBB when Bier, Soup, his girl, and I were booted out of a bar.

that was ridiculous... i don't care if you were dancing on the table, you put your top back on.

Good info here. :D

Bummer that you got thrown out of the bar. I'm thinkin' it was a case of St. Patrick's Day hypersensitivity on the owner's part.

Guess so.... oh well.

Damn, I wish I would have thought about calling the BBB when Bier, Soup, his girl, and I were booted out of a bar.

:tup: Just heard about that. The BBB will probably toss it out and/or I'll dismiss it but heck, it's worth a try. That's what they're around for.

I bet if you chose to go back there again they would let you in and not even remember the incident..It seems you are bummed because you like this place . Im not sure if you do want to go back though..Id chalk it up as a bummer..Get your CC and liscense and let it go..I agree with the short leash on St Paddy day theory..It sucks that its a happening bar that you enjoy .

I can see why you're pissed but I think contacting the better business bureau is a lost cause. It's the bars discretion to decide whether or not to continue to serve someone and unfortunately I think your gal got to be that lucky drunk last night. Chalk it up as a bad experience.

FWIW, I've been literally thrown out of numerous bars but not because I was drunk... apparently I can be a wiseass. :D

PS - Killer hangover today and for some reason I think I was at a party with lesbos and monkeys yesterday. :D

Honestly that sounds about right around here. We never get any warning.

In fact all of my neighborhood friends here plus the Mrs. Cliaz and myself went out on the town in DC one night. We got kicked out of a bar because my neighbor smacked his own wife's a$$. How lame is that?

I'd just get the owner/manager and get your card back, pay for the drinks with no tip and chalk it up to a$$holes being over zealous on St. Patty's day and just looking for drunk a$$holes.

yup