[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little reminiscing...

DMD

It only lasted one season for 2001, but it was pretty funny at the time. It started Rod "He Hate Me" Smart's career (such as it is). All players earned $4k per week except QBs got $5k per week!

Remember the rules?

· THE MOST EXCITING FOURTH DOWN IN FOOTBALL:

No fair catches are permitted, but the returning player is granted a 5-yard protected area or “halo” where a member of the kicking team may not encroach until the ball is touched, and the kicking team may not cross the line of scrimmage until the ball is punted. At the same time, any punt traveling more than 25 yards past the line of scrimmage is a live ball and can be recovered by either team.

· POINT AFTER TOUCHDOWN:

There will be no kicking of extra points. Teams will run a play from the two-yard line, and will receive one point if the conversion is successful. During the conversion the clock will be running, therefore the defensive team can earn one point by returning a fumble or interception into the opponent’s end zone.

· ONE FOOT INBOUNDS:

As per the current collegiate rule, a receiver/defender needs only one foot inbounds on a reception/interception.

· SHORTER PLAY CLOCK:

Teams have 35 seconds to get a play off after previous play is ruled dead and 25 seconds following any clock stoppage.

One man on offense may be in forward motion outside of the tackles.

Defensive players may use bump-and-run tactics on offensive players down the field.

Returning teams must run kickoffs back out of the end zone, unless the kick carries through the end zone.

Head slaps are illegal.

I remember NBC using a camera angle that allowed you to follow the offense from behind the running backs. It looked like a PS2 game perspective. It was interesting at first, but it got old fast.

Did a little research - the opening day rosters in 2001 only had these guys that were likely ever drafted in a FF draft for the NFL:

QB Druckenmiller, Jim

QB Milanovich, Scott

QB Maddox, Tommy

RB Black, Michael

RB Dunbar, Vaughn

TE Crumpler, Carlester

WR Furrey, Mike

Not exactly a sterling crew other than Furrey! And this was the best I could find...

I was actually in a Fantasy XFL league..... The draft was freakin hilarious. We were all like, who are these guys

And I actually won my XFL Fantasy League - I had Tommy Maddox; Jermaine Copeland and Quincy Jackson at WR; and a LeShon Johnson at RB.

Boy, those were the days :D

http://www.all-xfl.com/xfl/stats/statleaders/statleaders.htm

Edited the link for a better page....

Top 3 QBs were Tommy Maddox, Mike Pawlawski & Jim Drukenmiller.

Top 3 RBs were John Avery, Rod Smart & Rashaan Salaam.

Top 3 WRs were Stepfret Williams, Charles Jordan & Jermaine Copeland

Jose Cortez & Jeff Hall were two of the top kickers

In looking over the entire stats page here the only player that I saw that is even recognizable as a current player in the NFL is newly acquired New Orleans Saints DB Kevin Kaesviharn. :D

Upon editing I noticed that Corey Ivy was the league leader in INTs

Edited by rajncajn

If I remember correctly, didn't their Week 1 not have the highest TV ratings ever recorded for a week of professional football? At least, that's the way it was touted. I know they sank like a stone thereafter (they gave away free advertising from Week 4 on).

Edited by The Wolf

I remember my XFL fantasy draft. I think it was on Yahoo and I let it draft itself, which it promptly did...............but in alphabetical order!

As soon as I read about my team, I knew I was in trouble as all of our players names started with A's and B's.

After a major overhaul, we rode "he hate me's" back to the championship. Good times.

If I remember correctly, didn't their Week 1 not have the highest TV ratings ever recorded for a week of professional football? At least, that's the way it was touted. I know they sank like a stone thereafter (they gave away free advertising from Week 4 on).

I don't think that they were that high, but the first week's ratings were very good.

Had the quality of play been better and the camera work not been done by the same crew that did my JV football games, the XFL could have been quite successful.

I was actually in a Fantasy XFL league..... The draft was freakin hilarious. We were all like, who are these guys

Uh.....so was I and I won it too :D

• 2 weeks later...