[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I saw somebody die tonight . . .

CaptainHook

Sitting here at my computer, playing poker. I had the window open. I live on a county road, and heard a car absolutely flying down my street, I look out the window and see headlights . . . then they lose control, over-correct and slide head on into a tree across the street, about 100 yards from where I'm sitting. The tree was old, about two feet thick, they completely knocked it down, flipped the car . . . I yelled for my wife to call 911 and ran down there, could hear someone gurgling inside . . . pitch black . . . I run back and get my flash light, 3 teenagers in the car. The one in the backseat was bleeding from head and knee, passenger was unconscious hanging from seat belt, driver was pretty much crushed . . . been out there for 2 hours as they've been cutting these kids out of there, they helicoptered two outta here, driver was dead. so sad. don't speed.

I know what you mean CH. That feeling is like no other I can even begin to explain. My senior year of high school, a friend and I found the body of a man who had just been shot and dumped. As I am sure it was for you, it was a very surreal moment for me. Sorry you had to see that, man. :D

Yuck. :D

I've never witnessed such a thing (thank God), but I did see the results of a suicide. Some guy got out of his car. Walked across an empty lot across from the office where I work, leaned up against a dumpster, and shot himself. Didn't hear it happen but saw an e-mail about an unfortunate incident on our "campus" and realized you could see the results out our 3rd story windows. Creepy, and sad.

I guess the best thing is to be glad that two of them are still alive!

yeah, was thinking that. If that tree hadn't been rotting at the base, it wouldn't have given like it did and all three of 'em would be dead.

Kid in the backseat lives in housing addition down the street from me according to some teenagers that came down later, he is doing ok. Nobody knew who the driver was yet . . .

I'm gonna try to get some sleep. I don't know if I can get the sound of the impact, or the gurgling sounds coming from that car out of my head.

Yeah, that part would creep me out too! :D

I didn't sleep much last night. Still haven't heard who the kid was yet. I think I'll go down and help the neighbor cut up the 75 foot tree laying across his driveway.

Edited by CaptainHook

Holy cow.

At the risk of sounding like an ass here, I think you should just shake it off - you did everything you possibly could, and it is not even approaching your fault the kid was driving like an ass hole. Positive vibes to you and your family.

Tragic - my heart goes out for the family left behind.

When I got out of high school, I worked as a lab tech in a blood bank for a couple of years and one of my duties was pulling call on weekends to take over emergency blood to the ER. Sometimes I would be asked to deliver it straight to the trauma room and I saw more than my share of people busted, broken and bleeding from car wrecks and gun shots. I watched people when they were pronounced dead. That'll stick with you when you drive a car.

Sad that we all learn so little from the mistakes of others. At least you were there to call for help - kudos to you for caring and showing up.