[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chiefs put Larry Johnson on trading block for picks

Sgt. Ryan

Chiefs | L. Johnson on trading block?

Sun, 22 Apr 2007 12:54:43 -0700

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs have offered RB Larry Johnson to teams in order to acquire more draft picks.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#386994

Anyone else think this is a ploy o try and cock block SD moving M Turner. Seems unlikely to me LJ would be traded.

No, I think it is them wanting to get something for him while they can. I think they feel that they will not be able to re-sign him next year and will use the picks they get to draft his replacement.

No, I think it is them wanting to get something for him while they can. I think they feel that they will not be able to re-sign him next year and will use the picks they get to draft his replacement.

couldn't they just franchise-tag him?

IMO, we're going to really struggle the next couple of years ... and, frankly, if we trade LJ it'll force Herm Edwards to have a more balanced. If we don't trade LJ, his career will be over and the Chiefs will be no closer to the Super Bowl.

LJ will be Herm Edwards' crutch and we'll end up no better than 9-7.

However, I really have NO idea what we could get for him given what Edge, Portis and Marshall Faulk (the last three really high profile RBs to be traded) went for ... and what SEA was unable to get when trying to trade Alexander.

When its all said and done, imo, Peterson won't let him go for less than a first and a second rounder (with one pick possibly being next year) ... and I don't think he'll get it...making this a bit of a mute point.

After the workload he got last year I wouldn't touch him fantasywise. If the Chiefs could get ONE first round pick for him I would do it. His days are numbered, IMHO.

Why is that? If it's your opinion, that's cool, but what are you basing this on? Simply having a HUGH workload last season doesn't end his career.

OK guess I'm the only one going WT F O - most consider this a relatively weak draft class and they're going to trade him for picks - ie ditch their star player, the cornerstone of the O - because he had lots of carries last year and/or they don't want to pay him? To draft who, Johnson? Peterson (who already comes in with injury concerns)? Granted he's 28, but he has not even 900 carries in his career and only 2 as a starter. This is not a ton of mileage we're talking.

Edited by BeeR

He is the only marketable "star" they have? They aren't paying anyone else on that team hugh money are they? I can't imagine them doing this . . .

I really don't blame them.I believe Shields has now retired too.if I am the Chiefs I would trade him before his stock plummets.if he stays he in K.C. he is in for a very down year IMO.

IMO, we're going to really struggle the next couple of years ... and, frankly, if we trade LJ it'll force Herm Edwards to have a more balanced. If we don't trade LJ, his career will be over and the Chiefs will be no closer to the Super Bowl.

LJ will be Herm Edwards' crutch and we'll end up no better than 9-7.

However, I really have NO idea what we could get for him given what Edge, Portis and Marshall Faulk (the last three really high profile RBs to be traded) went for ... and what SEA was unable to get when trying to trade Alexander.

When its all said and done, imo, Peterson won't let him go for less than a first and a second rounder (with one pick possibly being next year) ... and I don't think he'll get it...making this a bit of a mute point.

I agree.

yeah, everyone is desperate for a RB nowadays. RBs are so scarce. They'll definitely land 2 first rounders

I would be very suprised to see this happen.

heck - the Cheifs are holding out for a second and seventh (at least) for Green - I can't imagine that they would be any more reasonable with LJ

:D

I cannot believe they want so much for Green.

After the workload he got last year I wouldn't touch him fantasywise. If the Chiefs could get ONE first round pick for him I would do it. His days are numbered, IMHO.

I am not so worried about his workload as I am worried about the line he will run behind.

Why is that? If it's your opinion, that's cool, but what are you basing this on? Simply having a HUGH workload last season doesn't end his career.

My belief is based on the history of backs who had a large amount of carries. Almost invariably they fall far short of expectations the following season. This has been discussed and verified with stats in other threads. I think he is finished being that productive a back in KC.

My belief is based on the history of backs who had a large amount of carries. Almost invariably they fall far short of expectations the following season. This has been discussed and verified with stats in other threads. I think he is finished being that productive a back in KC.

Didn't all those backs have a lot of work before the hugh workload season? I think it's pretty telling that you're the only one who thinks LJ is going to just go from a very good RB to crap all the sudden. Theres a lot of miles left on the tires.

I personally like what Carl is trying to do this off season. He's doing pretty much what Herm said the organization would do once he was hired. Get younger and better in the draft, not keep filling the team with peaked veterans who are above average when we sign them. They're looking to fill the roster with young kids in hopes of filling out the roster with better players and playmakers.

I wouldn't be too worried about LJ's heavy workload just yet. There have been several other backs (Earl Campbell - Eddie George...etc) with high carries that ended up producing for several years, before tailing off.

In fact, the only RB I can think of who had a high number of carries then immediately crashed & burned, is Jamal Anderson. And his career ended because of knee injuries caused by him planting & cutting. On both those knee injuries, he was untouched by anybody from the opposing team.

Of far greater concern to me in regards to LJ's production is...

#1 The KC O'line (as Doc Holliday pointed out).

#2 the KC WR's...

I think the KC ground attack has been making the KC WR's job easier. If the KC ground attack falters (IE defenses pay less attention to it & more to the WR's) then I'm not sure the current KC WR's are going to be as effective, which in turn will put the O in less favorable down & distance positions for the run game.

I wouldn't be too worried about LJ's heavy workload just yet. There have been several other backs (Earl Campbell - Eddie George...etc) with high carries that ended up producing for several years, before tailing off.

In fact, the only RB I can think of who had a high number of carries then immediately crashed & burned, is Jamal Anderson. And his career ended because of knee injuries caused by him planting & cutting. On both those knee injuries, he was untouched by anybody from the opposing team.

Of far greater concern to me in regards to LJ's production is...

#1 The KC O'line (as Doc Holliday pointed out).

#2 the KC WR's...

I think the KC ground attack has been making the KC WR's job easier. If the KC ground attack falters (IE defenses pay less attention to it & more to the WR's) then I'm not sure the current KC WR's are going to be as effective, which in turn will put the O in less favorable down & distance positions for the run game.

You make a good point about their WR's. they have been ineffective even though they are in single coverage all the time because teams were stacking against Johnson. what happens if they start seeing a double team here and there?

Based on a clause in his contract, LJ can void the final two years of his contract after this season and test free agency. This was reported by the NFL Network. Maybe this clarifies things a little. He may have informed the team he intends to do just that.