[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tournament rules

Grits and Shins

This weekend I helped judge our local karate tournament. We have a rule that states that contestants that draw blood are disqualified. It is fairly straightforward ... you draw blood you are DQ'd. We allow no contact to the face. Head judge has some latitude.

So I'm in a ring with a 4 man bracket going, 13 year old male red/brown belt division. At least one fight has already occurred. 6 seconds into round 1 of a fight both fighters punch each other in the face and both draw blood. Clearly one fighter took a harder hit and suffered more than the other.

What is your ruling?

who hit first? if it's too close to call, it has to be a draw. they both committed a disqualifying foul, i don't see how one can be more disqualifying than the other unless the rules somehow specify that. although if the one guy just had like a little papercut or something i would probably be inclined to view it a little differently.

You DQ'd the one that wasn't hurt as bad didn't you?

So I'm in a ring with a 4 man bracket going, 13 year old male red/brown belt division. At least one fight has already occurred. 6 seconds into round 1 of a fight both fighters punch each other in the face and both draw blood. Clearly one fighter took a harder hit and suffered more than the other.

What is your ruling?

Frank Dux would be proud.

They both struck at the same time or close enough to be indistinquishable as to which was first.

both disqualified

As I understand it a big part of Martial arts is discipline. The guy that did not control his punch to the point that he injured the fighter the most showed the least discipline (although the guy that took the bigger shot showed poor D) but bottom line I still feel the rules as you stated both get DQd because they both drew blood.

So I'm in a ring with a 4 man bracket going, 13 year old male red/brown belt division.

All I can think of here is the seinfeld episode with cramer doing ka-rate against small children. :D

It took me a while to figure out that you were "in the ring" as a ref, not as a contestant. :D