[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm buying two cars

SuperBalla

This is a spur of the moment thread thinking I could get some feedback from you guys about new cars. My wife has a 2000 Camary good condition and paid for and the other is going to be for me...and I know what I want. :tup:

She hasn't made up her mind between a small SUV 4-runner, Murano, Rav-4, some Jeep. Or, just buying another car. I told her I liked the Volvo S series but it is perhaps expensive with a little back seat. I've been there... :D

So anything you guys like, don't like? I am going to possibly use this thread as my research central. :D I am sure I can work a saleguy off a couple thousand off the msrp so for discussion's sake we'd like to stay around 26,000 or less.

I appreciate yer feedback.

Edited by SuperBalla

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a spur of the moment thread thinking I could get some feedback from you guys about new cars. My wife has a 2000 Camary good condition and paid for and the other is going to be for me...and I know what I want. :tup:

She hasn't made up her mind between a small SUV 4-runner, Murano, Rav-4, some Jeep. Or, just buying another car. I told her I liked the Volvo S series but it is perhaps expensive with a little back seat. I've been there... :D

So anything you guys like don't like? I am going to possibly use this thread as my research central. :D I am sure I can work a saleguy off a couple thousand off the msrp so for discussion's sake we'd like to stay around 26,000 or less.

I appreciate yer feedback.

I see you're not against buying a foreign car; me neither. We bought a Hyundai Santa Fe new in '04. It has 51,000 on it and ran great until I totaled in about 3 weeks ago but that's another story...

You can't beat the warranty, 10 years 100,000 mile powertrain, 50,000 bumper to bumper. All wheel drive; ran good in the snow for what we used it for but not something I'd want to be buried in the mud 4-wheelin' in. After the screwin' we took on the insurance I'm not sure I'd buy a new one again. We're looking used now and have'nt decided on anything yet. I've looked at 4Runners and they're nice but IMO overpriced.

I see you're not against buying a foreign car; me neither. We bought a Hyundai Santa Fe new in '04. It has 51,000 on it and ran great until I totaled in about 3 weeks ago but that's another story...

You can't beat the warranty, 10 years 100,000 mile powertrain, 50,000 bumper to bumper. All wheel drive; ran good in the snow for what we used it for but not something I'd want to be buried in the mud 4-wheelin' in.

Good info...thanks.

I've looked at 4Runners and they're nice but IMO overpriced.

I agree. Looking at the Volvo's they seem to be in the price range of the Toyota line. Would most of you agree that Volvo is nicer than Toyota?

We have a Volvo XC-90 as the family truckster and it is very nice. For the price/performance it was a no-brainer.

I drive a Jeep Wrangler (97 TJ Sport). Bought it new in 96 and wouldn't trade it for anything. Just turned 120k miles. :D

Volvo and Jeep, good choices.

...Murano...

... we'd like to stay around 26,000 or less. ...

If you're going with a new car, you can eliminate this one right now. It starts at 29K msrp for the base model.

In a word ................................HONDA!!!!!!

:D

Good info here. Wife & I just bought the new Pilot for just over 26K out the door. If the Pilot is a bit bigger than you guys wanted the new CR-V is actually very nice. It's much roomier than the older version. You can get one fully loaded for what you'd like to spend.

Since it's still the end of the month, salesmen will be a little disparate to sell some cars before month's end, so you should be able to swing a pretty good deal.

Good luck!

You can't beat the warranty, 10 years 100,000 mile powertrain, 50,000 bumper to bumper. All wheel drive; ran good in the snow for what we used it for but not something I'd want to be buried in the mud 4-wheelin' in. After the screwin' we took on the insurance I'm not sure I'd buy a new one again. We're looking used now and have'nt decided on anything yet. I've looked at 4Runners and they're nice but IMO overpriced.

I agree with this. I have an 03 Sante Fe (bought used) and an 05 Tuscon (bought new). Both have been very reliable (knock on wood). As stated the warranty is great and over all I am pleased with both vehicles.

Why would you sell it and buy a new car then? :D

i'll +1 this.

why go from a well running car that is paid for to another well running car that will likely put you thousands of dollars in debt? cars are the biggest drainers of net wealth. if you have to, just buy one now, get another 4-5 years out of the camry to pay off the new one, then think about another. maximizes your investment and eliminates multiple car payments.

i drive a 98 accord that still runs like a top and is in good shape. no reason to think about switching until it starts to give me some serious trouble.

of course, if you are rolling naked in cash and can buy the two cars with your disposable income, ignore this advice and have some fun!

if i were going to take a wild guess.... i think they are looking for a little more room and ease in getting that car seat in and out. i think the volvos are very solid choices....

if you start looking 2-3 years used you can expand your search to some germans if you are so inclined.

Of the ones you mentioned, the 4runner leads the pack with no close second.

Do yourself a favor dude, get an pre-owned '06 and save $10K+.

+1,000

The 4Runner is the most reliable of the ones mentioned, hands down. I have a 2001 with 90k on it, so it's almost past the breakin period, these things run 200k+ easy. They hold there value well. It's not uncommon for 3 year old 4Runners with 80-90k miles still getting upper teens.

+ whatever on the Camry. The only reason I got rid of mine was because I was hauling too much stuff for the restaurant and got a great deal on a volvo wagon (that rare old lady drove it to the store, very few miles on considering the age, price below blue book 'cause the dealer was a regular at the restaurant, etc.). The car simply suits my needs better. That said, I've already spent more in the last year on it than I had on the previous 3 years on my Camry and the Camry had like 140K on it when I sold it compared to 70K on the Volvo.

The trade in you get on that Camry won't be close to what it is worth to you in terms of a reliable way of getting around. Considering that it is 100% paid for (as our was), you'll miss the fact that you took the $350-$450 per month you're gonna be paying for granted. $5K per year takes you on a decent vacation.

Think of it like this:

Do you want a newish Volvo sedan or a 2000 Camry in good shape plus a pretty nice trip every year?

Why would you sell it and buy a new car then? :D

Good question and it is one I fought with my wife over. She wants to sell it to her uncle for its value and buy something like a small suv. She has considered getting a car if I get an suv. I like the 4-runner personally.

Do yourself a favor dude, get an pre-owned '06 and save $10K+.

For my vehicle this is what I am planning on doing.