[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mountain Bikes

alexgaddis

So the Wife and I decided we need to get some mountain bikes...where's the best place to find good used bikes for a reasonable price? What are some good brands or bad ones to stay away from...I know nothing about biking, just want some to go riding with our daughter...

So the Wife and I decided we need to get some mountain bikes...where's the best place to find good used bikes for a reasonable price? What are some good brands or bad ones to stay away from...I know nothing about biking, just want some to go riding with our daughter...

If you're not really planning on going "mountain" biking why not just go up to the dreaded Walmart & get a couple o ftheir nicer bikes?

If you're not really planning on going "mountain" biking why not just go up to the dreaded Walmart & get a couple o ftheir nicer bikes?

Are they decent? Could be a good option, I just have no idea whats out there so I thought I would start here...

afterall, Emma's bike is from Walmart...

eric the bike man has good deals

What kind of riding? Just on the street or some light trail action? Do you plan on doing more "heavy" riding?

I have a Trek; for the money you really can't do better. You local bike shop will start having sales as summer draws nearer.

Depending on your answers to the above questions, I don't think you need to spend more than $350. You can probably find decent used bikes on Craigslist, too.

Make sure your bikes are the correct size. Make sure the moving parts were well-cared for (if buying used). Get a very comfortable seat. Avoid full-suspension (my opinion).

More notes to follow after you tell us a little more about what you're looking for.

The "best place" to get a bike is at a bike shop. Generally the people that are there are into biking and can advise you as to what you need for what you are going to be doing.

The downside is that you will not get the best price and you have to be carful of them over selling you. But, at Walmart, you are going to talk to someone that knows that bikes have wheels and pedals....and not much more.

JMO, it's worth the extra money to buy it from the little guy that will take care of you as needed. It's also worth the time to go to a couple of shops to price differences.

If you want used bikes, try the want advertiser. Be warned that you might be buying a bike that doesn't fit you and won't be comfortable to ride. If this is something you plan on using often, that might be a bad route. If you think you will go riding 3 times and be done with it...the it doesn;t matter what you buy.

The "best place" to get a bike is at a bike shop. Generally the people that are there are into biking and can advise you as to what you need for what you are going to be doing.

The downside is that you will not get the best price and you have to be carful of them over selling you. But, at Walmart, you are going to talk to someone that knows that bikes have wheels and pedals....and not much more.

JMO, it's worth the extra money to buy it from the little guy that will take care of you as needed. It's also worth the time to go to a couple of shops to price differences.

If you want used bikes, try the want advertiser. Be warned that you might be buying a bike that doesn't fit you and won't be comfortable to ride. If this is something you plan on using often, that might be a bad route. If you think you will go riding 3 times and be done with it...the it doesn;t matter what you buy.

Solid info here. The "bike shop" may be more expensive, but catching them on the right weekend could net terrific results.

I wouldn't get a bike from WalMart if they paid ME.

Definitely make sure the bike is sized correctly (as I noted in my first post) if you buy used. Like purchasing a used car from a private party, you may be able to take the bike (by leaving the seller with a deposit) to your local bike shop to have them check it out. Make sure the frame has no small cracks. Make sure the moving parts are in good condition.

Solid info here. The "bike shop" may be more expensive, but catching them on the right weekend could net terrific results.

I wouldn't get a bike from WalMart if they paid ME.

Definitely make sure the bike is sized correctly (as I noted in my first post) if you buy used. Like purchasing a used car from a private party, you may be able to take the bike (by leaving the seller with a deposit) to your local bike shop to have them check it out. Make sure the frame has no small cracks. Make sure the moving parts are in good condition.

Won't be taking it for any rough riding at all, just neighborhood riding for exercise and with the daughter...

well thats about the price range I am looking at...I really can't justify going up to $300 or $400 for a bike...

I ride a Kona, and my wife rides a Giant, both are good brands and have served us well.

Won't be taking it for any rough riding at all, just neighborhood riding for exercise and with the daughter...

I would just go to a local sports store and buy a low level bike. You can find them for around $125. A guy here at work spent $4500 for a mountain bike. Of course he does 100 miile mountain races. I could not believe the bike did not come with a motor. He is 6 feet 4, but the bike only weighs like 15 pounds.

You can buy a cheap car for that price.

I would just go to a local sports store and buy a low level bike. You can find them for around $125. A guy here at work spent $4500 for a mountain bike. Of course he does 100 miile mountain races. I could not believe the bike did not come with a motor. He is 6 feet 4, but the bike only weighs like 15 pounds.

Thats exactly what I have been wondering...I mean can a $125 bike be that bad? It does WORK, doesn't it? Obviously anyone into biking would laugh at the idea but for what I would use it for I just need it to not fall apart...

I've got a Trek 8000 that is a good bike for the small amount I ride but still solid enough for NW singletracks. I still would like to do the 10th Mountain Division Hut ride at some point in my life but I'm definitely not in riding shape for that.

You can get frames and and components on Ebay. That might be the best way to go.

Thats exactly what I have been wondering...I mean can a $125 bike be that bad? It does WORK, doesn't it? Obviously anyone into biking would laugh at the idea but for what I would use it for I just need it to not fall apart...

Your just riding around with your family. Dont let anyone talk you into spending more.

I just bought a nice bike from Target, the one my wife liked was at Wal-Mart. As long as you inspect the bike good theres nothing wrong with them. I went to a local bike shop first and about fell on the floor laughing so hard when I found out there was nothing cheaper than $350 in that place. Let me go look mine up, I believe it is a Trek. One sec

Oops It was a Schwinn. Here's the web address.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-...asin=B0000BXHPC

I also sent you a PM.

Edited by Hat Trick

i just looked at Dicks Sporting Goods and they have some that look decent...are they better than the $80 ones at Walmart?

I have owned a lot of Mountain bikes. Depends on what the price difference is between the two. Usually your paying for a lighter bike with better gears.

But, for your purposes it wont make that much of a difference.

The most important thing is to get a good set of components. Shimano and SRAM make good shifters in the $400 range. If the gears are always slipping or need adjustment, it's a pain in the butt. If you are paying that kind of money, I'd avoid disc brakes, they are s**ty and nothing but trouble unless you buy good ones, which start in the $800 range of bikes, maybe a little less now.

IMO, you don't want a mtn bike for riding around town. You want an urban bike or also called cruisers, which is a mtn bike, sans the shock(s). Shocks hurt you, not help you when you are riding on hard pavement. These no suspension bikes are still fine for dirt/fire roads as well. Plus they're cheaper. Shocks add about $100 to the price and again you might as well have no shocks than s**ty shocks. I think you need to spend at least $600 for a good hardtail.

Seats are cheap, and if the bike doesn't come with a comfortable seat you can easily upgrade.

What kind of riding? Just on the street or some light trail action? Do you plan on doing more "heavy" riding?

I have a Trek; for the money you really can't do better. You local bike shop will start having sales as summer draws nearer.

Depending on your answers to the above questions, I don't think you need to spend more than $350. You can probably find decent used bikes on Craigslist, too.

Make sure your bikes are the correct size. Make sure the moving parts were well-cared for (if buying used). Get a very comfortable seat. Avoid full-suspension (my opinion).

More notes to follow after you tell us a little more about what you're looking for.

Good info D3. Craigs list is a good option. I know I sold one on there too cheap when I lived in Austin...lol.

When I worked in a sporting goods store we had some major deals in the spring. Practically giving some of them away. Watch the ads.

Also, you can look on some major Sporting Goods stores websites because they will be trying to move the models that are a year or two old. Go to a shop or even Walmart to size yourself up first if you go that route. The bar should be about an inch from your stuff when straddling it.

I wouldn't buy a bike from Walmart or target unless you are only looking to ride once a year.

Bike shops are expensive but you will get your questions answered better there. Some shops will throw in a tuneup as well. Many offer extended service plans. read into it. Some people may shy away but it could be a good deal. At The Sports Authority we sold them for something like $20 for a year. It covered tuneups, and all the moving parts (except tires). It was a kickass deal. Don't know if they still offer it.

Like D3 said, avoid the full suspension. Unless your going to be doing some serious downhill you don't need it. Alot of the cheaper bikes that have it is just for looks anyway and it will take away from your other componants.

The most important thing is to get a good set of components. Shimano and SRAM make good shifters in the $400 range. If the gears are always slipping or need adjustment, it's a pain in the butt. If you are paying that kind of money, I'd avoid disc brakes, they are s**ty and nothing but trouble unless you buy good ones, which start in the $800 range of bikes, maybe a little less now.

IMO, you don't want a mtn bike for riding around town. You want an urban bike or also called cruisers, which is a mtn bike, sans the shock(s). Shocks hurt you, not help you when you are riding on hard pavement. These no suspension bikes are still fine for dirt/fire roads as well. Plus they're cheaper. Shocks add about $100 to the price and again you might as well have no shocks than s**ty shocks. I think you need to spend at least $600 for a good hardtail.

Seats are cheap, and if the bike doesn't come with a comfortable seat you can easily upgrade.

This plethora of information and other information like it is why I recommend visiting a bike shop. They will help you get a product that fits your needs.

Although I do not think you need to spend $600 on a bike to ride around with your kid. At the very least I think it would be worth your time to go fact finding, and then make a decision. If you chose to reward the bike shop with your business once they have helped you figure out what you need....well.....that will help them be there next time you need to know something. But, there's no rule that says you need to buy from them.

then you dont want a MOUNTAIN BIKE....trust me on that...get a hybrid or crossover or whatever they call them but you do not need a mountain bike