[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How much should I give for a HS graduation "open-house"

wiegie

Apparently when kids graduate from high-school in west Michigan their parents throw an "open-house" for them and invite basically the equivalent of the people that would be invited to the kids wedding (assuming it was a reasonably large wedding). To me it seems like these things are basically set up as a money-grab for kids... so my question is, how much should I give?

(Are these sort of things common in other parts of the country? Where I grew up, the parents might throw a small party for close relatives (or perhaps friends of the kids themselves), but the parents' friends didn't get invited to the best of my knowledge.)

That is common around here. Not 200 people but family, friends of the kid, & friends of the parents.

To answer your question assuming you a good friends with the parents I would give $50. If you are best friends or if the party is at a banquet hall like a wedding I'd up to $100.

I never heard of the "open house" type party. We were invited to a graduation party for tomorrow for one of our neighbors. I am not sure about how many people they will have but it sounds like it will be a lot. We figured we would give her $40 or $50.

Ive never even heard of such a thing. I certainly wouldnt be buying anybody a gift for graduating hs unless they were in my family. Nor would I expect one to be given to my kids by friends. I am unsure how or where that tradition got started, but I wouldnt participate.

(Are these sort of things common in other parts of the country? Where I grew up, the parents might throw a small party for close relatives (or perhaps friends of the kids themselves), but the parents' friends didn't get invited to the best of my knowledge.)

Around here we seem to stick to mostly family or close friends that are also friends of the kid. I have a party coming up in July for my boy. I have not invited anyone that is not family or a friend of his. I give $50.00 to anyone that I feel like I should have been invited to and $100.00 to family. I don't think that I would give more than $20.00 to some sort of "open house" party like you are talking about.

However, everyone at the huddle is invited to my boys party, but I understand if you can't come all the way to Pittsburgh. Just PM me and I will tell you where to send his envelope with the $50.00 that you kindly stuffed in there for him. Thank you in advance.

However, everyone at the huddle is invited to my boys party, but I understand if you can't come all the way to Pittsburgh. Just PM me and I will tell you where to send his envelope with the $50.00 that you kindly stuffed in there for him. Thank you in advance.

OK, hit me up with the PM--I've already made out the check to Skippy Johnson Jr.

:D

I was at my daughters graduation party today in Chicago and it was only close friends and family! What you give depends on how close you are not how many people are there. I would also take into account what the student may have achieved as well!

:insert Jack Trudeau joke here:

This country has gone party/gift giving crazy.

Where have you been? Discipline is out, spoiling/coddling in the extreme is in.

I can see throwing a party but someone other than relatives giving $ or treating this in any way "wedding-like" flat-out bizarre. Oh well to each their own

I don't see anything wrong w/ the party, as long as the list is, as Skippy said, close friends and family. Money Grab???? Not for the parents! At least not in my case. RR juniorette's cost us a bundle....~100 people, tents, tables, chairs, w/ good Italian (veal, chicken...) catered food for the buffet. She didn't want one when she graduated college. :D

Oh.....$50 bucks for a close friend or family. $100 for God children.

Edited by rocknrobn26

Apparently when kids graduate from high-school in west Michigan their parents throw an "open-house" for them and invite basically the equivalent of the people that would be invited to the kids wedding (assuming it was a reasonably large wedding). To me it seems like these things are basically set up as a money-grab for kids... so my question is, how much should I give?

Tell Scott Stiffler I said "hi".

I'd say depending on your relationship, the $25-50 range should be fine.

$50

The way I see it, you need a "round" number for a cash gift. $20 is round, but its pretty paltry. That leaves fitty bucks as the minimum, with other cash gifts being multiples of 50.

Uh, just don't go? :D

If you must, though, I suppose $35 was enough. Personally, I would have grabbed them a $20 gift card from Staples or Target or something like that. Assuming they're headed off to college in the fall.