[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Office vulturing

rajncajn

Around our office I'm well known to be a bit of a scavenger. Anytime I need something instead of asking my boss to buy it I'll go hunt the office & see if what I want is going unused elsewhere in the office. The most recent thing I picked up was a small corner table from our telecon room that was just sitting in the corner. I've gotten pretty much everything from phones, keyboards, mice, monitors, speakers, desks, partitions, chairs, cabinets...you name it, if it's an upgrade to what I already have I've scavenged it. But I don't just get things for myself, I'll pick things up for my coworkers as well. Recently I finally got tired of seeing Hitman struggling with his semi-working phone and after repeatedly telling him to just go get one I finally went and exchanged his for one in one of the exec offices that hardly gets used.

Now to the item at hand...Just recently my office pc kicked the bucket. I'd been waiting patiently for it to finally go since one of my coworkers just recently got a new desktop, my boss just got a new IBM Thinkpad & after Hitman's pc died 3 weeks ago they put a new laptop on order for him. Well, just my luck the company happened to acquire 4 old PC's from another office that we bought. So I'm feeling a bit slighted as I am yet again getting stuck with a hand-me-down. Granted it's slightly better than my old one that's still not saying much. One plus is that I finally can get rid of the hugh monitor on my desk & replace it with an LCD. Unfortunately the CRT was a 21" & the LCD is a 17". However, I've recently found out that one of the programmers is going to be leaving the company on the 5th. He seemed a little miffed when I went up and asked him what size monitor he had & when I told him I was going to steal it after he left. :D He kinda jokingly called me a vulture. :D

So, my question is are you an office vulture & if so what are some of the better items you've confiscated? If not how do you feel about people rummaging through your leftovers after you've gone?

Edited by rajncajn

I'm not so much a vulture as I am a pack rat. My desk is a filthy mess... and I don't care! The cleaning people come by and ask to clean off my desk and I just tell them to take a hike.

Only thing I've really scavenged was my old boss's 21 inch crt monitor after he left the company. If I did take any thing else it's probably buried under a mound of papers. :D

I've used the same calculator for almost 20 years. You touch it and you pull back a nub, Hall & Oates. However, I am a neat freak.

I do have a nice dual monitor set-up with 21" Dell LCD's. I scavenged one off the spare office and gave them the old crappy hugh monitor I was using when we ordered all new ones. My printer is also a hand-me-down when we bought a new one. I got tired of getting up to head over to the network printer so am using it now.

Edited by TimC

, I've recently found out that one of the programmers is going to be leaving the company on the 5th. He seemed a little miffed when I went up and asked him what size monitor he had & when I told him I was going to steal it after he left. :D He kinda jokingly called me a vulture. :D

By the way you should went for his eyes in true vulture style after he said that to you :tup:

I borrow little things like scissors , pens , etc ...but if I need something bigger or better than what I have , I put in for it ..no scavenging for me ...sorry

You "put in" for something here & it goes absolutely no where. :D

I've used the same calculator for almost 20 years. You touch it and you pull back a nub, Hall & Oates. However, I am a neat freak.

I do have a nice dual monitor set-up with 21" Dell LCD's. I scavenged one off the spare office and gave them the old crappy hugh monitor I was using when we ordered all new ones. My printer is also a hand-me-down when we bought a new one. I got tired of getting up to head over to the network printer so am using it now.

I'm a neat freak as well. In fact when I got my "new" pc I pulled my desk out & spent the better part of yesterday morning re-routing & tie wrapping all the cables. :D

I don't allow vulturing of computer equipment or phone equipment. It goes where I tell it to go.

...and do you honestly think none of it happens behind your back?

This new monitor I'm after is a 19" LCD, the one I have is a 17". Other than that they are pretty much identical, I seriously doubt anyone will even notice that I've switched them and even if they do notice they won't know who got it.

Food, that's it. Chips, Pretzels, Fries, Pizza, Lean Cuisines (:D) etc....

I have stolen a sharpener and some smaller items for my home.

I don't ever bring stuff home. If I want something for my personal use I just buy it. Small stuff like that just isn't worth me getting in trouble for.

I totally scavanged my chair... there are two nice black leather chairs in the office, and they were both sitting at unused desks... so, I exchanged my old crappy one for one of the unused leather ones.

I've also scavanged a nice coat hook and a business card holder as well.

I don't really do it too often though, so I don't have a vulture reputation or anything like that. :D

My sister works at the Clinic. She says that somebody takes food out of the break room that belongs to the other employees. One employee has had enough of that and she left a note for the villain...

"Could you please give me your social security number so I can claim you on my tax return."

For myself, I work at a place where we don't throw things away. I've taken an old table to put into our breakroom for a second microwave and larger coffee maker that I got. I've found older typewriter stands to use.

And I've been just reminded that I may have found a use for an LCD that an employee didn't get along with. It will work great on the PC that I'm on now since I'm always looking to increase space in the office.

Oh, two things I forgot...before giving back my old dead PC I'm stealing the video card & DVD rom out of it to put in my "new" pc...I'm hoping they don't notice. :D

It doesn't surprise me that they don't expect you to have a new puter when the others got one.

...and do you honestly think none of it happens behind your back?

After I was through with the last person I cought vulturing equipment....yep. I made it pretty clear that taking company resources without authorization would result in an immediate firing :D

This new monitor I'm after is a 19" LCD, the one I have is a 17". Other than that they are pretty much identical, I seriously doubt anyone will even notice that I've switched them and even if they do notice they won't know who got it.

So the IT department at your company doesn;t pay attention to or catalog it's resources? :D

I take when I can, bribe if I must and vulture when necessary. I ALWAYS have the best collection of stuff in the office.

My sister works at the Clinic. She says that somebody takes food out of the break room that belongs to the other employees. One employee has had enough of that and she left a note for the villain...

"Could you please give me your social security number so I can claim you on my tax return."

We had a food thief at work as well a few years ago.He would only take the better tasting stuff,pizza,cookies,deserts,etc.

We used the tried but true chocolate ex-lax brownie trap. :D

We had a food thief at work as well a few years ago.He would only take the better tasting stuff,pizza,cookies,deserts,etc.

We used the tried but true chocolate ex-lax brownie trap. :D

I just licked the bottom of my stuff and smiled when it was missing. :D