[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is this a lie?

H8tank

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a lie?

• Yes.
    • No, I am a lawyer.

Greg had about 30 min before he got off work, a co-worker called, and said they needed to talk to greg about something, that they would be there in 40 min. Greg stated: "My father in law is flying into town in about an hour, I won't be here much longer."

Greg may or may not actually be leaving by then, his father in law truely is flying into town in one hour, but someone else is picking him up.

Did Greg lie?

Greg stated: "My father in law is flying into town in about an hour, I won't be here much longer."

It's all about the comma. If he had said two separate sentences, then it wouldn't be a lie... it would be two factual statements. The comma implies a "therefore" which basically means that the first part of the sentence has a causal relationship with the second part of the sentence. So, yes, he lied.

Now if I knew someone like Greg and he later explained the reson he blew me off was that he was duct taped to a box of Saddam's VX and was in Syria all would be forgiven. :D

Greg makes two factual statements. What you do with them is on you, right?

It's all about the comma. If he had said two separate sentences, then it wouldn't be a lie... it would be two factual statements. The

And to think, all this time I thought that was jiz flying outa your mouth when you spoke, now to find they were comma's.

I voted no, and am not a lawyer. There is no lie here. Implying he’d be leaving because his father in law was coming into town doesn’t imply he needs to leave to pick him up. Maybe he needs to cover something for the person that is picking his father in law?

Greg had about 30 min before he got off work, a co-worker called, and said they needed to talk to greg about something, that they would be there in 40 min. Greg stated: "My father in law is flying into town in about an hour, I won't be here much longer."

Greg may or may not actually be leaving by then, his father in law truely is flying into town in one hour, but someone else is picking him up.

Did Greg lie?

Sounds like he's clean.

Edited by SuperBalla

It's all about the comma. If he had said two separate sentences, then it wouldn't be a lie... it would be two factual statements. The comma implies a "therefore" which basically means that the first part of the sentence has a causal relationship with the second part of the sentence. So, yes, he lied.

I disagree.

The comma represents "and". You could assume that that the 2 statements are connected but I don't see how its implied that they are connected.

I don't believe he lied. He may have said something in a manner with the intention of it being misinterpreted but its not a lie. The listener's assumption was incorrect. My wife does that all the time :D

Did Greg lie?

no lie....did someone assume that greg was picking his dad up? well you know what they say about that

I think I saw this episode once. Mike tries to explain to Greg that you can't always live by "exact words" and at the end the frog jumps onto his date's pizza at the drive-in.

:D holy flashbacks Oliver!

QUOTE(H8tank @ 6/16/07 12:08pm)

Greg stated: "My father in law is flying into town in about an hour, I won't be here much longer."

More like a cause/effect relationship.

Because someone assumes these two are related does not make it a lie.

The intent was to mislead regardless of jargon. Lie.

How about Greg having the cajones to say I'm leaving in a half-hour without the phony excuse. Veronica.

I disagree, and agree.

What if he had to go pick something up related to his FIL's arrival? But yeah, dude just needed to provide a better reason... or more specific.