[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Am I insane?

untateve

So here's the family vacation this year:

My wife and boys fly to Waterbury, CT on 7/15 to visit with her family. On 7/20, the family drives to Cape Cod (Chatham). I fly into Providence on 7/22 and drive to the Cape.

On 7/27, we have a cabin rented in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. We'll do hiking, white water rafting, fishing, etc.

Here's my dilemma--Getting to Gatlinburg via air will take about 10 hours as we'll likely fly into Charlotte, NC and drive from there. Can't get good airfare into Knoxville, which is closest to Gatlinburg and certainly can't get good flights.

If we drive from Cape Cod to Gatlinburg, I'm estimating it will take about 13 hours or so, but save me $800, including factoring in the costs of gas. My boys (7, 10) are road trip warriors. Last year, we drove to Asheville, NC and we only stopped twice for bathroom breaks--this took about 10.5 hours. I figure that even if we get tired and have to stop, how much can a hotel cost? I'm still saving money and seeing the country with my family (or is this just a rationalization because I'm cheap?)

So, am I crazy for seriously considering the drive from Cape Cod to Gatlinburg?

--as an aside, my wife has to fly back for work on 8/5 but me and the boys will be spending a week outside of charlotte (waxhaw) at my brother's home. any huddlers that want to get together and experience all that is untateve, let me know.

It certainly seems that the drive is the way to go. Personally, I love to experienec the U S of A via vehicle.

If you fly instead of driving, it means that you have got more money than you have brains.

(of course, I'm guessing in your case that would apply even if you only had a five-spot in your pocket)

You're really trying to earn your sigline aren't you? :D

Halfway between Chatham and Tennessee is Westminster, CO. You guys can all stay at my house for the night. I'll take you guys scuba diving in the great Colorado reef.

Reading more ABearWithFurniture's geography books again? :D

Halfway between Chatham and Tennessee is Westminster, CO. You guys can all stay at my house for the night. I'll take you guys scuba diving in the great Colorado reef.

the thing is, I knew you'd be there for me :wipes tear:

My wife and boys fly to Waterbury, CT on 7/15 to visit with her family. On 7/20, the family drives to Cape Cod (Chatham). I fly into Providence on 7/22 and drive to the Cape.

On 7/27, we have a cabin rented in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. We'll do hiking, white water rafting, fishing, etc.

Here's my dilemma--Getting to Gatlinburg via air will take about 10 hours as we'll likely fly into Charlotte, NC and drive from there. Can't get good airfare into Knoxville, which is closest to Gatlinburg and certainly can't get good flights.

If we drive from Cape Cod to Gatlinburg, I'm estimating it will take about 13 hours or so, but save me $800, including factoring in the costs of gas. My boys (7, 10) are road trip warriors. Last year, we drove to Asheville, NC and we only stopped twice for bathroom breaks--this took about 10.5 hours. I figure that even if we get tired and have to stop, how much can a hotel cost? I'm still saving money and seeing the country with my family (or is this just a rationalization because I'm cheap?)

--as an aside, my wife has to fly back for work on 8/5 but me and the boys will be spending a week outside of charlotte (waxhaw) at my brother's home. any huddlers that want to get together and experience all that is untateve, let me know.

Drive straight through. In August, I will be driving from northwest Montana to

north central Minnesota. Estimated driving time is 18 hours. I will leave around 8pm so the family can sleep through the first stage of the drive. My wife will take over for a few hours in the morning, and then I will be back driving for the duration. I have kids at similar ages as yours.

So are you doing a one way rental and dropping the car in Florida when you get back?