[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DeAngelo Williams

Brentastic

Gotta give the zone-blocking scheme some time to come together. Green Bay turned to this style last season. They started out slow but were very productive the 2nd half of the season. I can see the same results for Carolina and DeAngelo. I personally don't see him very appealing in a redraft league but I found him sitting there in the 5th round (that's right!!) in our new keeper league. Could be big in another year!!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sold on Williams either, at least not for FFL purposes. I think if he gets the lion's share of the touches he will be a solid starter, but I'm not sure that he'll ever be a stud. I think he can play, but there were other backs, like Jerious Norwood, that impressed me a lot more than Williams did last year. If you get Williams in the fourth round or later, I think you're ve got a solid value pick, but don't expect this year's Frank Gore.

About 1200 total yds and 5-8 TDs. Who knows how this new offense in Carolina will play out but hey the guy is a high draft pick, seems to be better suited for a zone blocking scheme and seems to be better than Foster. Like the guys said earlier, as long as you get him in the 5th round or later, he's worth the risk. If he's your RB3 then you're probably golden. Just don't let lofty expectations exceed reality.

I'm not sold on Williams either, at least not for FFL purposes. I think if he gets the lion's share of the touches he will be a solid starter, but I'm not sure that he'll ever be a stud. I think he can play, but there were other backs, like Jerious Norwood, that impressed me a lot more than Williams did last year. If you get Williams in the fourth round or later, I think you're ve got a solid value pick, but don't expect this year's Frank Gore.

If both Norwood and Williams got the majority of the carries/touches, I believe you would see very similar numbers. Williams was very good last year when he had his opportunities. He's deceptively strong and is very dangerous on pass receptions. He is definitely worth the risk as a RB3 especially in a keeper league

On another note, it seems like last years RB class was just loaded with talent. Addai, Maroney, MJD, Nortwood, D. Williams.........lots of starting and stud caliber talent.

Easy answer: Let someone else draft him early and suffer with him as the Carolina O-line struggles to learn the zone system. Then trade for him on the cheap -- right before/during the Panthers' Week 7 bye -- and watch him carry your team to the playoffs. His next 5 games are against Indy, Tennessee, Atlanta, Green Bay, and New Orleans. He has tough playoff matchups (Jax, Seattle, Dallas), but he could play a big role in getting you there. :D

The Panthers have shown no inclination to let Williams start or give him goal line work ...

He is working in the return game, which speaks volumes about his chances of being a carry the load starter this year ...

I would not pay the cost to acquire him in a redraft ...

If both Norwood and Williams got the majority of the carries/touches, I believe you would see very similar numbers.

I don't necessarily disagree, but would point out that Carolina seems to have a good shot at a productive year on offense, where Atlanta's could be disastrous.

But there is a new coaching staff.

Jeff Davidson is installing a new offense and one that already is better suited to Williams. John Fox is the head coach and he was a defensive coordinator/coach for his entire career prior to coming to CAR. The old offense that the players no longer bought into is gone now. This will not be same old same old with a new offense and new offensive coaches. Fox does not have all that much impact on the offense and certainly the coordinator is installing HIS offense that he will direct.

I agree with you, David, but we've discussed this at great lengthy before, including crunching the numbers and showing that: 1) Williams has the potential to be a very good RB - maybe even studly - in the NFL when he gets sufficient featured RB-type work, and that 2) CAR was a better team when it gave Williams the bulk of the work. That Fox couldn't see that last year and sat Williams on the bench an excessive amount of time was completely befuddling then, and with Fox still being the HC, despite a new OC, I'm not sure why anyone expects the light bulb to suddenly go on & have him see reason in this. Hell, Foster is already being named the #1 RB this year.

Williams best opportunity will come when Fox gets fired and the pictures that Foster has of him with that underage sheep, or whatever hold he has on Fox, becomes irrelevant.

Funny you should say that. :D Thats exactly where I got him in the Ladder league as my 3rd RB.

Yeah...we're aware of that...snaked him 2 picks before I did. :D

It's a solid move and can pay off big time -- if he is given the chance many of us feel he deserves.

I'm stubbornly holding out hope for this kid, and I think this offense has to improve. After watching what he did against Minnesota - which was saying a heckuva lot against that run defense last season - I know this kid has what it takes to be an excellent numbers guy in FF. Whether he gets the chance or not - I agree with the assessments of some who say this guy could be one of the difference makers in a FF season.

Even if he only gets a handful of full time chances this season, I'd guess he would put an owner over the top in some of those games. And as a #3 or #4 back on your team, that could be a big deal. And, considering Foster's injury history, even if he's not the #1 guy starting out, I'll bet he will be sooner or later.

He's an upside pick and like many have said, including me, he is the type of player that could send your team to the championship (or break it if you don't have plan B ). It's still very early in preseason.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I don't necessarily disagree, but would point out that Carolina seems to have a good shot at a productive year on offense, where Atlanta's could be disastrous.

True however if DW is playing backseat to Foster and returning kicks, Norwood would have more value as he is likely to receive > 2/3 of the touches in Atlanta.

In other words, Atlanta's offense may stink but at least Norwood would be seeing more touches vs. DW in a better offense receiving sparse touches.

The post I replied to had the caveat of both Williams and Norwood getting the majority of the carries. :D

Oh :D

The more I hear/read about the situation the more I see DW back into his role last year. And as BB mentioned above, Fox stubbornly sticking with Foster.

The pro for DW is basically that it's early in the preseason however the fact that he's still returning kickoffs after almost a full week at TC is not encouraging IMO. Obviously DW's value increases if Foster is injured however that's highly speculative because Foster was briefly injured last year yet retained the starting spot.

Norwood on the other hand is in a new system (like DW) but the veteran ahead of him is clearly fading and/or does not fit the new system.

Whereas, the word from Panthers camp is that Foster is excelling in the new system.

The pro for DW is basically that it's early in the preseason however the fact that he's still returning kickoffs after almost a full week at TC is not encouraging IMO.

I wasn't aware that Williams was still on special teams. That's an absolutely bad sign for Williams' owners. A NFL team doesn't risk its #1 RB in kick returns.

I wasn't aware that Williams was still on special teams. That's an absolutely bad sign for Williams' owners. A NFL team doesn't risk its #1 RB in kick returns.

yep

NFL.com's Carolina depth chart lists DW as a KR. I know this isn't very reliable/up-to-date info, especially in the offseason, but the fact DW's name was listed anywhere near the special teams in the middle of July is not good IMO.

Edited by kingfish247

Easy answer: Let someone else draft him early and suffer with him as the Carolina O-line struggles to learn the zone system. Then trade for him on the cheap -- right before/during the Panthers' Week 7 bye -- and watch him carry your team to the playoffs. His next 5 games are against Indy, Tennessee, Atlanta, Green Bay, and New Orleans. He has tough playoff matchups (Jax, Seattle, Dallas), but he could play a big role in getting you there. :D

Now THAT is good thinking. :D

From PFW Whispers:

Sources tell us Panthers RB DeShaun Foster is getting most of the first-team reps in training camp -- and will enter the season as the starter for the second straight year -- because the coaching staff is more comfortable with his pass-blocking abilities than those of diminutive second-year RB DeAngelo Williams.

From PFW Whispers:

the coaching staff is more comfortable with his pass-blocking abilities than those of diminutive second-year RB DeAngelo Williams. [/i]

This is exactly how DeAngelo is perceived, a smallish 3rd down type back. But isn't he actually like 215 lbs? Anyway, this type of perception is exactly what holds DW from getting the kind of touches we would all want him to get to reach his full potential. It's surprising to see how Foster is holding onto the starting gig after all this time.

True however if DW is playing backseat to Foster and returning kicks, Norwood would have more value as he is likely to receive > 2/3 of the touches in Atlanta.

In other words, Atlanta's offense may stink but at least Norwood would be seeing more touches vs. DW in a better offense receiving sparse touches.

Gonna disagree. Vick was always a threat to run and the passing game had Crumpler as the leading receiver. Without Vick this is a different team, and how much they stink, or whether it gets better is yet to be tested. If the offense doesn’t click and they have to abandon the running game to toss the hail Mary’s, it doesn’t bode well for RB FF points. The more predictable the offense is, the easier it is to defend against. Carolina is basically the same team and S.Smith is healthy, and I’d guess the plan would go RBBC. DW had 33 receptions last year, so in a PPR scoring system that could tip the scales. Risk/reward on both sides, but the better overall offense should provide the most opportunity to score fantasy points.

From PFW Whispers:

Sources tell us Panthers RB DeShaun Foster is getting most of the first-team reps in training camp -- and will enter the season as the starter for the second straight year -- because the coaching staff is more comfortable with his pass-blocking abilities than those of diminutive second-year RB DeAngelo Williams.

5'-10" & 217 lbs = diminutive???

Some of the best RBs in the history of the NFL fall into that height/weight range.