[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goodbye Mortgage Interest Tax Credit

Savage Beatings

My wife has pretty much been a lifelong Democrat. After reading this article she has vowed to never again vote Democrat. Now that doesn't mean she will vote Republican or conservative, but this meaningless unpassable rhetoric just cost the Dems one fairly liberal vote. So what's the point of ticking people off like this (especially your own base)? Is Dingell just trying to become the new Al Gore... anything for the envrionment politician?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And as a renter how many of your kids flood the schools without paying a dime in Property taxes.

Free lunches/breakfast and so forth. Many renters dont even have to buy school supplies.

Dont even give me the sob story that is included in your rent.

Hey genius, a portion of my rent obviously goes to paying the lessor's property tax on the home. It's not like he's going to just eat that cost.

And I don't have any kids in school yet.

So there. :D

Well, in all fairness, its a deduction: not a credit. And strong earners don't even get a dollar for dollar deduction for their interest, as those deductions become phased out once you start making "too much" money. Plus, there are already caps on the size of mortgages upon which interest can be deducted in the first place. I guess my point is that limiting the deductibility of mortgage interest isn't a new idea.

No one gets a dollar per dollar deduction on interest paid on mortgages. They get a deduction of their highest tax bracket that they are in for the year as a percentage of that bracket. The highest acquisition indebtness level is $1,000,000 for mortage interest deductions and that is not subject to AMT. The highest amount of a HELOC is a $100,000 but cannot be deducted if you are in a AMT situation.

This is another fine example of our elected officials being hard at work!

And as a renter how many of your kids flood the schools without paying a dime in Property taxes.

Free lunches/breakfast and so forth. Many renters dont even have to buy school supplies.

Dont even give me the sob story that is included in your rent.

In 4 years, this is the first sign of intelligence I've ever seen from moneymakers.

No one gets a dollar per dollar deduction on interest paid on mortgages. They get a deduction of their highest tax bracket that they are in for the year as a percentage of that bracket. The highest acquisition indebtness level is $1,000,000 for mortage interest deductions and that is not subject to AMT. The highest amount of a HELOC is a $100,000 but cannot be deducted if you are in a AMT situation.

?? I see no formula for reducing the Mortgage deduction on my Schedule A. What are you talking about? Some sort of lifetime cap?

Why should I as a renter subsidize you as an owner by paying for a quarter of your mortage interest when I don't get any benefit and am stuck with the lower standard deduction? :D

(Of course I'll switch sides when I finally do buy a home.) :D

Well if your getting the standard deduction, your getting more than you deserve unless your Itemized deductions would be the exact same. :wacko:

In 4 years, this is the first sign of intelligence I've ever seen from moneymakers.

Um, no actually. Do you really think the owner of the rental property would be able to stay in business if their aggregate rent didn't cover their property taxes as well? You think they just pay them from the goodness of their heart? This is like the deal where your employer "contributes" 7.5% of your pay to social security. It's a cost of your employment, therefore it reduces your pay. The taxes are a cost of the building, therefore it raises your rent.

Yes, most people get a dollar for dollar *deduction.* (You pay $100 in interest, you get a $100 deduction: that's dollar for dollar) However, unlike a tax *credit* it doesn't create a dollar for dollar economic benefit, because the economic benefit of a deduction is tied to your individual effective tax rate (which is a function of your tax bracket(s)). But that's not what I was talking about. What I was talking about is that if you're married, and your adjustable gross income is over $150,500, then you can no longer deduction 100% of your Schedule A deductions (which includes mortgage interest). Like I said before, once you start making "too much" money, the benefit of your total itemized deductions begins to phase out somewhat. Check out the itemized deduction worksheet on Page A-7 of the instructions to Schedule A&B.

Yes, most people get a dollar for dollar *deduction.* (You pay $100 in interest, you get a $100 deduction: that's dollar for dollar) However, unlike a tax *credit* it doesn't create a dollar for dollar economic benefit, because the economic benefit of a deduction is tied to your individual effective tax rate (which is a function of your tax bracket(s)). But that's not what I was talking about. What I was talking about is that if you're married, and your adjustable gross income is over $150,500, then you can no longer deduction 100% of your Schedule A deductions (which includes mortgage interest). Like I said before, once you start making "too much" money, the benefit of your total itemized deductions begins to phase out somewhat. Check out the itemized deduction worksheet on Page A-7 of the instructions to Schedule A&B.

Well, if that is the case, then go away the deduction. Screw the middle class.

Well, if that is the case, then go away the deduction. Screw the middle class.

I like the interest deduction: its one of the few "tax welfare" programs that I can get support 100%. My only point initially was that placing limits on the mortgage interest deduction isn't a new idea. But I didn't express any qualitative opinion on whether the current proposal was bad or good. I just chimed in to clarify a few facts.

Edited by yo mama

I like the interest deduction: its one of the few "tax welfare" programs that I can get support 100%. My only point initially was that placing limits on the mortgage interest deduction isn't a new idea. But I didn't express any qualitative opinion on whether the current proposal was bad or good. I just chimed in to clarify a few facts.

I was being serious, get rid of it. I'm sick of this country taxing some but not all. Either every homeowner should get the deduction, or none should. I'm for equality.

I was being serious, get rid of it. I'm sick of this country taxing some but not all. Either every homeowner should get the deduction, or none should. I'm for equality.

The phase out doesn't target just interest deductions, though. It targets all Schedule A deductions. But I don't mind. I'm willing to pay what my country requires of me. No more, no less. If/when they require more than I'm willing to pay, I'll move.

Just curious what is it for a single person? married is $150,500 threshold

Easy for you to say. You get an extra dependent deduction this year.

Breeding has its advantages, it's true.

I don't make the tax laws, I just attempt to milk them for all they're worth.

Who's to judge what is the appropriate amount of living space for a family? This is just more of the typical class warfare the left continues to try ignite. More than likely those of us who have a house larger than 3k sq ft are already paying a greater percentage in taxes on our income anyway. So now the libs are wanting to pile on more?

Less a liberal objection than a question about what your conspicuous consumption is really gaining you - if you and your wife need a full-size basketball court to play one-on-one, then your 3000+ sq feet is probably justified.

Just a few of the several scenarios under which a family could pretty easily justify having more than 3000sft for their primary residence:

1) More than 2.4 kids

2) Home based business

3) Home school

4) Extended family living under the same roof

5) Investments housed in the property (i.e., wine, art, antiques, collectables, etc)

6) Inherited the house

7) Unusual medical needs

...etc...

Just one question for you guys that think that that having a limit on tax breaks is unfair....

So if spending too much money on a house means that you should recieve no special considerations (positive or negative) tax-wise, does that mean that earning too much money should have no special considerations (postive or negative) tax-wise? Meaning should we not therefore eliminate the cap that is paid into Social Security? Fair is fair after all.