[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your town

MojoMan

Football, baseball, basketball town?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What sport "runs" your city?

• NFL
    • College football
    • MLB
    • NBA
    • College basketball
    • NHL
    • Other
    • No one sport dominates
    • Puddy

Interesting Gdawg. I live in MoCo but I don't read the Sun or follow the Baltimore sports talk (I listen to 980 which is basically DC only).

I thought the Orioles had a decent following.

The Sorrioles have fewer and fewer fans each year, Mojoman; ten straight seasons of sub .500 records :D

The club really does rely heavily on the influx of Yankee/Red Sox fans to boost attendance. They've had many a crowd of 12-15 K for a game this season, and that's PAID attendance. I swear sometimes it looks like 5 K are actually there.

STL is all about the Cards, folks. Go crazy!

We can't even fill up the Ed. :D

One time since '95 the Dome doesn't sell out, and it's a preseason game. Clearly we're about the Birds here, but this is a great football town as well. We even supported the Big Dead before they moved to Arizona to start screwing those poor bastages.

I think I agree with this but this is also a Tiger Town. Last Fall was unbelievable in the Detroit area. Tiger mania was and is at an all time high probably in a tie with 1984 and 1968. Yes Lion talk is very passionate but top to bottom, young to old, across all races, men to women I think the Tigers are king especially when they are winning but even when they were losing we still care, granted it's hard to tell but it's there.

Wings and Pistons are right up there but just not at that level.

I would say Lions / Tigers tied for #1, Wings and Pistons probably tied for 3rd. Detroit Shock are probably 5th (Just kidding). Colleges are big but not as big in other parts of the country or in the local area as Egret mentions about State.

The only difference is, when the Tigers stunk the they couldn't sell tickets. The Lions have sold out every game while Matt Millen has been the GM.

STL is all about the Cards, folks. Go crazy!

We can't even fill up the Ed. :D

There is no question that the Cardinals dominate the local sports loyalties. Everyone from toddlers to great-grandmas follow the Redbirds. The Rams fans are much more fair-weather & prone to crtitcizing the players, coaches, whatever.

But, the team did sell out 95 straight games at the dome until the strreak was snapped last year on Christmas Eve.

There is no question that the Cardinals dominate the local sports loyalties. Everyone from toddlers to great-grandmas follow the Redbirds. The Rams fans are much more fair-weather & prone to crtitcizing the players, coaches, whatever.

But, the team did sell out 95 straight games at the dome until the strreak was snapped last year on Christmas Eve.

I'm probably letting my experience during the Chiefs and Bears games color my anger. The Ed was closer to being homefield for the visiting team, than the Rams.

The only difference is, when the Tigers stunk the they couldn't sell tickets. The Lions have sold out every game while Matt Millen has been the GM.

Yup. Two years ago you could still get tickets right before the game AND sit wherever you wanted to sit. Now if you wait, you're lucky to get Standing Room Only.

I'm probably letting my experience during the Chiefs and Bears games color my anger. The Ed was closer to being homefield for the visiting team, than the Rams.

Sadly, this is true. The KC and Chicago fans can't get tickets to their home games and they are willing to pay enough to get Rams fans to cough up their tickets. A friend of mine sold his tickets to the Chiefs game for $1500 and they are not great seats.

If the Rams were contenders, the number of those willing to sell probably goes down, but $1500 is $1500.

I live in Orange County (not LA, BIG difference)

I would say its a baseball town. No NFL team, major college FB teams are in LA, basketball teams are in LA, so its down to hockey and baseball. Yes, the Ducks won the cup, but with what new ownership has done for the Angels (no name change jokes! :D ) they truly rule this place now...never seen it like this, but everytime I go out, I see at least a few people wearing Angels red!

GO HALOS!!!

Madison, WI is a college sports town - especially football for the past 15 years or so.

I dunno, seems like the Wisconsin State Journal covers GB as thoroughly as any of the other major Wisconsin papers.

Milwaukee:

1) NFL - the Packers own just about all Wisconsin; and even where they don't, it's all about the NFL - Vikings are huge in the western part of the state. Even non-Green Bay NFL games telecast in this market draw great ratings.

2) Brewers - wanna see a Milwaukee native get misty-eyed with nostalgia? Just say " '82 Brewers"; yeah, the Brewer fans have been wandering lost in the desert for about 15 years, but this town is STARVED for winning team. When/if the Brew Crew makes a serious playoff push, look out.

3) Badgers/Marquette - I think Badger football is ahead of CBB, but not by too much. The Wisconsin/Marquette rivalry is fodder for sportstalk radio hereabouts as soon as midnight madness begins. The Wisconsin-Milwaukee Panthers have even managed to get some nice buzz, thanks to a few Final Four runs; however, it remains to be seen if they can sustain absent Bruce Pearl (we luv ya Bruce, Go Vols!)

4) NBA - I think that unlike the Brewers, the Bucks don't have that hold. They are slowly sliding into inconsequentiality.

JMHO on Milwaukee.

I think NY is pretty much an all sports town

NFL Football slightly edges MLB (Yanks and Mets will draw close to 8 mill combined this year), and there is a big margin over the NBA which is closely followed by the 3 local Hockey Teams.

College is barely a blip.

What? How long have you lived in NY? I’ve lived here my entire life, born and raised in Queens and now living on LI and this place is a practically run by the Yanks and Mets. New Yorkers are excellent football fans but still, it’s a pretty distant 2nd place to baseball. It goes in this order….

Yanks

Mets

Jets

Giants

Knicks

Rangers

Islanders

Devils

Nets

I’m sure Giant fans may argue the Jet/Giant order but other than that this order is exactly correct. The Devils and Nets are last because they are really NJ teams. College sports get very little attention and NASCAR isn’t even on the radar.

. College sports get very little attention and NASCAR isn’t even on the radar.

Do you think Rutgers can get a toehold in that market, or were they just a flavor-o-the-day?