[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ok huddle brethren , need some job advice

isleseeya

Have been at my job for 15 years ...moved up the ranks and all in all I am in a pretty good place there in terms of salary and title . My company offers very good security as you basically must literally do something criminal to be fired

Its a private owned company with our principals based in geneva , switzerland ..there is a lot of pressure from our overseas office and a lot of emails . Can be political at times as well and it appears as we grow so does the work and responsibility . Lastly in live in nj so my commute is two hours a day each way ( 75 miles away ) which can be brutal

I have been offered a job by a company I do business with ( final salary offer will come next week ) . This company is only 7 miles from my home , the salary should be at least the same but likely higher and their volume and pressure seems to be much less than where I am at , at my current company . Suits are not worn there while at my company suits and ties must always be worn including summer ( no summer dress down) ...major concern is how secure is this company and how secure will my position be ...they are saying the right things about job security but I am not totally sure yet

I would save a great deal of money as well on travelling to work in the new place

Any advice or opinions on this are welcome , as well as any of your personal experiences

I will know more next week when I meet with them on tuesday am but in meantime just wanted to get some input ...let me hear you

Thanks in advance

I made a similar decision in January of this year. Left a job of 8 years with the Horse Racing industry, which is quasi-government with all of the associated benefits and security, for a job with what is basically a start-up chain of 8 grocery stores. So I went from high job security to low job security. The start-up phase was brutal - everything that could go wrong did, and then some.

But it has been worth it. 100% I'd do it again. It may not work out long term, but it won't be for lack of effort. Everyone I work with is 100% committed to making this thing work. The things I've gone through in the process will build my resume significantly. If I had stayed in the "comfortable" position in horse racing, I would just be older and less marketable. Yeah, I'd have that job security but it would have come at the cost of stagnation.

Personally, I would roll the dice (once you are satisfied on all of the important aspects of this decision). I have a lot to lose - breadwinner for a family of 5, with two kids about to go to college in the next 3 years; hugh mortgage payment (Califonia real estate) etc. Having made the move 9 months ago, I am confident that if things don't work out, I will find something else given my strengthened resume.

Hope this helps, Isleseeya.

Controller this helps a lot and I appreciate it ...I have 4 kids ( none in college yet ) and a nice mortgage as well but your story has helped me look at the change in jobs in a more positive light ...I figure as well that if I am going to make a move it may have to be now rather than when I am older...still have to see how this plays out but at least I know I am not alone in a decision like this ...thanks a ton :D:D

Seems like a no brainer to me assuming there is any job security at all with the new position. The $$$ you'll save on gas plus the lower miles on the car will be hugh not to mention the hours of time you'll be home more to spend with those 4 kids.

I realize that you'll no longer be working near Whomp but you'll just have to get over that. :D

My earliest lesson in the job force was that money, title, and security don't mean as much to me as being happy at the job. Now I have somewhat less money, title, a lot less security, but happiness every day being in a situation (well, except for one sales person) similar to that Controller describes.

And I never look back except to think how much happier I am now.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Seems like a no brainer to me assuming there is any job security at all with the new position. The $$$ you'll save on gas plus the lower miles on the car will be hugh not to mention the hours of time you'll be home more to spend with those 4 kids. surfing the Huddle.

:D

It's my firm belief that if you don't change jobs at least once every 4 years, you're limiting your potential.

I never would have moved into management at my first job. I never would have gotten as much say in the business at my second job. The job I have now has another 3 years to make my stock options worth a bunch of money before I go looking for the next opportunity.

My mom worked 2 jobs since I was 3 years old, and she was constantly treated like crap by her employers who completely took her for granted. My dad worked like 30 jobs in the same time frame and retired early.

From what you're story says, it wounds like the pros are out weighing the cons. Higher pay, shorter commute, less stress, more time with the family (most important) versus guaranteed security (which is truly never guaranteed). As everyone else has been saying, this is a no-brainer. I'd take that new job (assuming everything you hear at the next meeting is on the up and up) if I were you.

I just recently took a new job as well. Now I make quite a bit more $$$, my commute has been reduced to 1/2 hour each way 2 days a week (as opposed to over an hour each way 5 days a week), the rest of the time I work from home. I get to see my wife and son during the day and the stress levels have gone down dramatically. Only catch, is that I'm technically still a contractor. But I couldn't pass this job up. It's been a life saver with my family as well as saving about $60/month on gas & maintenance for my car.

Good luck with your decision.

From what you're story says, it wounds like the pros are out weighing the cons. Higher pay, shorter commute, less stress, more time with the family (most important) versus guaranteed security (which is truly never guaranteed). As everyone else has been saying, this is a no-brainer. I'd take that new job (assuming everything you hear at the next meeting is on the up and up) if I were you.

+1

I just to work for a food and vending company when I was in my late 20s and lived in Edison, NJ and took the NE Corridor into Newark and onto downtown via the PATH. The commute was a killer as I would be at work for 10 + hrs. only to be staring at 1+ going home. Did it for nearly 2 years and than kids came into the picture and it just didn't make sense to keep those types of hours as I would miss out on a lot of things with the kids as they grew up. Fortunately, my company moved us to CT where we rented a nice little house and I had a 15 minute commute... The HUGH difference in your commute will give you more valuable time to spend with your kids and that is one thing that you can never get back. More ballgames, plays, recitals, etc. so from that perspective... I think this is a BIG opportunity to really improve your quality of life with your kids. If the pay is around the same or a little better, just the savings on your car will be enough to put you into a better position financially, but the big payoff is the extra time with your wife and your four kids... Gotta make the move!! :D:D

Its amazing how great the huddle is ..I know it is but every once in a while I see its even better than I know it to be

The advice I received so far from you all has been great and very helpful

It would seem to me and I kind of know it already that if all works out with my interview next week , the new job is likely the way to go

Can't put a price on quality of life and spending more time with family

I will let you all know how it goes ..thanks so so much

:D

PS , leaving whomper was considered in my analysis ... Sorry whomp we can meet up in nj if I leave my current job ..lol :D

Long commutes suck balls. Waste of time, which is such a valuable resource. That's time you could be sleeping, making money, doing FF research, playing with your kids, boning the Mrs., watching pron over at cre8tiff's crib, etc. If the compensation and job security are roughly the same or better, and assuming the tasks involved with the new job won't prompt you to slit your wrists, I say go for it. Worst case scenario, your existing job gives you more to stay put when you tell them you're considering leaving.

Edited by yo mama

There's something really exciting about a change in career/lifestyle. I've always lived by the credo "It's better to regret something you did that something you didn't do". And it sounds like there won't be any regrets at all. The shorter commute is the deal maker.

Take the plunge. . .sounds like there's too much upside.

Can the new place offer you a contract ? I like what I hear about the offer..Security is so hugh though..How many years has this place been in business ? Do you know anyone at the new place that you can talk to and get the inside scoop ? Can you ask someone that you know privately that has access to a factor what type of financial shape the new place is in ? and finally Was it something I said ?

Can the new place offer you a contract ? I like what I hear about the offer..Security is so hugh though..How many years has this place been in business ? Do you know anyone at the new place that you can talk to and get the inside scoop ? Can you ask someone that you know privately that has access to a factor what type of financial shape the new place is in ? and finally Was it something I said ?

i will ask about the contract although i do not believe they offer them..this company has been in business for about 15-17 years but they were bought out by a huge company that is in business 205 years ...so they have some money it appears and deep pockets ..i have a ton of questions for them and still need their official offer come this Tuesday ( i am meeting them at 8 am before i go to work ) ..so we will see how it plays out ..good some very solid advice in this thread which is greatly appreciated

by the whomp its not anything you said :D ...but blowing kisses as i walked away and you telling me to catch them made me a bit uncomfortable :D

That's nothing compared to what whomp did when saying good bye to me in Vegas. I still have nightmares.

If running next to a guys plane swinging my Johnson is a crime then call my guilty

Have been at my job for 15 years ...moved up the ranks and all in all I am in a pretty good place there in terms of salary and title . My company offers very good security as you basically must literally do something criminal to be fired

Its a private owned company with our principals based in geneva , switzerland ..there is a lot of pressure from our overseas office and a lot of emails . Can be political at times as well and it appears as we grow so does the work and responsibility . Lastly in live in nj so my commute is two hours a day each way ( 75 miles away ) which can be brutal

I have been offered a job by a company I do business with ( final salary offer will come next week ) . This company is only 7 miles from my home , the salary should be at least the same but likely higher and their volume and pressure seems to be much less than where I am at , at my current company . Suits are not worn there while at my company suits and ties must always be worn including summer ( no summer dress down) ...major concern is how secure is this company and how secure will my position be ...they are saying the right things about job security but I am not totally sure yet

I would save a great deal of money as well on travelling to work in the new place

Any advice or opinions on this are welcome , as well as any of your personal experiences

I will know more next week when I meet with them on tuesday am but in meantime just wanted to get some input ...let me hear you

Thanks in advance

Personally dude I find job security more important then a 75 mile drive. But that is just me. If you have a wife and kids i know it can be scary but at the same time a switch could be better. Home earlier and possibly higher salary.

My question to you is this, "Do fluffers really make good money?"

Some good advice in this thread. Interesting to see what different people find the most important. I would rank the following as most important:

1) Enjoying your job while working for a successful company

2) Work/Life balance (spending 4 hours a day on the road throws this way out of balance)

3) Growth potential

4) Job security (assuming your skills are marketable)

These rankings are based assuming compensation is equal. And since we're talking compensation, make sure you look at total compensation. While base salary is obviously important to meet the monthly bills, don't overlook bonus potential, 401k match, profit sharing contributions, health/dental benefits, etc.

So in short, if you are marketable, take the plunge, your family will love you for it.

Edited by Puddy

i will ask about the contract although i do not believe they offer them..this company has been in business for about 15-17 years but they were bought out by a huge company that is in business 205 years ...so they have some money it appears and deep pockets ..i have a ton of questions for them and still need their official offer come this Tuesday ( i am meeting them at 8 am before i go to work ) ..so we will see how it plays out ..good some very solid advice in this thread which is greatly appreciated

by the whomp its not anything you said :D ...but blowing kisses as i walked away and you telling me to catch them made me a bit uncomfortable :D

I work for a huge company that's been buying out smaller companies. How long has it been since the small company has been bought out? There's always a risk that the big company could consolidate the smaller company's operations into one of the big company's major sites. The key measure is going to be how long it's been since the takeover. 2 years or more? Minimal risk. <1 year? The integration probably hasn't even gotten into full swing yet, so your risk is much higher.