[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

They have won many battles

whomper

As many of you know I have 2 bionic daughters. These kids have bitch slapped me and my wife in the going to bed department for 6.5 years. No matter what we tried they stayed up insane hours. Literally would be up at 1-2 am almost every night. My oldest started 1st grade last week . She has to be there at 8:30 am every day. My wife and I decided this summer was the summer we stop the insanity

:pretendyouhearnflfilmsmusic:

4 weeks before school started we decide the kids will get up as well as my wife every day at 7am no matter what time they go to bed at night. So with determination and 2 weeks of unneccesary benadryl we get them up no questions asked at 7 am..During the day I am at work but my wife remained steadfast when the kids wanted to nap. I come home and we hit the yard and do soccer drills..All of a sudden 2am became 11-11:30.. You may laugh but to us that is progress.

Now using the same techinique they havent made it past 10 in the past 2 weeks..Usually my oldest is out 9:30 :D and my little one about 15-20 minutes later. My wife and I are finally seeing how the other half has lived all these years..We actually watched a movie together the other night and :wacko: has actually happened before 3am a few times the past couple of weeks. I give big props to Mrs Whomp for this since I leave the house at 7 and I am used to getting up at 6..It was a lifestyle change for her too..On the weekends we give them (and ourselves) an extra hour but no more 12pm wake ups for the whomps . This weekend I may mow my lawn at 8:30 :D

Edited by whomper

Definitely good that you decided to do this before the school year started. So how did you get them to take the Benedryl? Mix it in with dinner llike you do with dogs or just call it vitamins?

lol at the "Benedryl Solution".

Definitely good that you decided to do this before the school year started. So how did you get them to take the Benedryl? Mix it in with dinner llike you do with dogs or just call it vitamins?

The Benadryl line was a joke..Dont get me wrong there have been occasions where we gave it to them to knock them out but these 4 weeks the turn around came from the 7am wake up and no naps..Ironically the kids pediatrician did actually say at one point a few years ago when we were struggling with this to give them claritin for 5 straight days to establish a routine. She said my kids take it anyway for allergies sometimes and its 24 hrs so give it to them at night to help the sleep and the allergies. We felt that wouldve been a quick fix so we didnt do it.

Edited by whomper

My first kid is so friggin easy to get to bed, that either he's a gift from Odin for my loyalty... or we really have this parenting thing down packed.

I'm guessing that my wife is about 10 hours pregnant, so we'll see how we do with the next one in June. :D

Are you saying a woman has had sex with you for a second time?

As many of you know I have 2 bionic daughters. These kids have bitch slapped me and my wife in the going to bed department for 6.5 years. No matter what we tried they stayed up insane hours. Literally would be up at 1-2 am almost every night. My oldest started 1st grade last week . She has to be there at 8:30 am every day. My wife and I decided this summer was the summer we stop the insanity

:pretendyouhearnflfilmsmusic:

4 weeks before school started we decide the kids will get up as well as my wife every day at 7am no matter what time they go to bed at night. So with determination and 2 weeks of unneccesary benadryl we get them up no questions asked at 7 am..During the day I am at work but my wife remained steadfast when the kids wanted to nap. I come home and we hit the yard and do soccer drills..All of a sudden 2am became 11-11:30.. You may laugh but to us that is progress.

Now using the same techinique they havent made it past 10 in the past 2 weeks..Usually my oldest is out 9:30 :D and my little one about 15-20 minutes later. My wife and I are finally seeing how the other half has lived all these years..We actually watched a movie together the other night and :wacko: has actually happened before 3am a few times the past couple of weeks. I give big props to Mrs Whomp for this since I leave the house at 7 and I am used to getting up at 6..It was a lifestyle change for her too..On the weekends we give them (and ourselves) an extra hour but no more 12pm wake ups for the whomps . This weekend I may mow my lawn at 8:30 :D

Nice...if you can't outlast 'em, outthink them! :wacko:

Good idea to do this before school.

We are at war with our daughter over the sleep routine and losing badly. :D

I feel your pain and I am certainly not out of the woods yet..The lack of sleep my wife and I have endured has been insane..We have seen many friends of ours have newborns that eventually have better sleeping habits then my kids have..Again me and the Mrs are fully to blame..In that dept we dropped the ball big time but we finally are making good strides..When we see the clock is 10 and they are both asleep we are actually still in shock.

Edited by whomper

I feel your pain and I am certainly not out of the woods yet..The lack of sleep my wife and I have endured has been insane..We have seen many friends of ours have newborns that eventually have better sleeping habits then my kids have..Again me and the Mrs are fully to blame..In that dept we dropped the ball big time but we finally are making good strides..When we see the clock is 10 and they are both asleep we are actually still in shock.

Well, it's not just sleep, it's pretty much everything. She's only 2 yrs 9 mos old and extremely bright and very strong willed / independent. Everything must be done her way. There's battles for sleep, there's battles for getting dressed, there's battles for pretty much everything. We'll get there, but it sure is a process.

I find it is best to be apathetic about most issues in your children's lives. As they begin to pick up on the fact that you really don't care, they become more responsible for themselves. Remember, I am a trained professional.

Yeah, kids practically raise themselves anymore, what with the internet and all.

I find it is best to be apathetic about most issues in your children's lives. As they begin to pick up on the fact that you really don't care, they become more responsible for themselves. Remember, I am a trained professional.

:D that was good

To whomp, kudos on finally getting some sanity back to your lives. If all 3 of ours (8, 5 and 2) are not out by 8:45pm at latest, the wife and I get testy. That means they're cutting into OUR time for chores, TV, reading, or :D

Yes, you could say we're spoiled, but we worked hard to get it that way. Another hour earlier and you'll be there, grasshopper. Rewards are endless....

Now that em has started 5 full days school, we figured 11 and 12 bedtimes weren't the best, so we are trying to get her down by 9:30pm... it's hard though, I'd rather have her around but for her health and getting up early it is best for her.

Thats exactly how we felt . Our town is 1/2 day K so my oldest wasnt used to a full day of school and we wanted her alert..If she was half asleep in school she would have a tough go of it..We are enjoying the downtime but arent fully used to it. My neighbor across the street is a great guy an older guy. He came home late one night and our front window was open and he said the next day I cant believe you Marilyn and the girls were all up at 2am last night..he said what was going on ? I said It was friday....The early wake up is the move..9:30 probably seems late to most of you but for us its a major victory..anything earlier would be a bonus

Well, it's not just sleep, it's pretty much everything. She's only 2 yrs 9 mos old and extremely bright and very strong willed / independent. Everything must be done her way. There's battles for sleep, there's battles for getting dressed, there's battles for pretty much everything. We'll get there, but it sure is a process.

My little one is like this..My oldest is mellow ..My little one likes to fight and poke at us..

My son is almost the exact same age and likes to pick battles occasionally (though it doesn't sound quite as often as your case). What I have found that works wonders is giving him choices. Do you want shirt A, Shirt B, or timeout - then follow through. I'm lucky on the sleep department but I'd implement the same strategy as needed. 1 book or 2 books, this book or that book, doll or no doll, go to bed or timeout.

I had a great interaction just the other day with my son who ran out right after I pulled up from work. We hug, I unload some things, he's still outside looking through the fence into the backyard.

Me "Son, let's go inside."

Him "Nooooooooooooooo, I wwannna pway on my pwayground"

- add tears

Me "Son, you have two choices, you can come inside with daddy or I can take you to time out."

Him (sobbing) "I go inside, I dont wanna go to timeout"

Me "Great Choice!! Give me 5!! Wow that was a really smart choice"

Son (smiling all of a sudden) "Come on daddy we go inside."

The key is, he knows that the timeout choice is for real and will happen if he doesn't choose anything.

My son is almost the exact same age and likes to pick battles occasionally (though it doesn't sound quite as often as your case). What I have found that works wonders is giving him choices. Do you want shirt A, Shirt B, or timeout - then follow through. I'm lucky on the sleep department but I'd implement the same strategy as needed. 1 book or 2 books, this book or that book, doll or no doll, go to bed or timeout.

I had a great interaction just the other day with my son who ran out right after I pulled up from work. We hug, I unload some things, he's still outside looking through the fence into the backyard.

Me "Son, let's go inside."

Him "Nooooooooooooooo, I wwannna pway on my pwayground"

- add tears

Me "Son, you have two choices, you can come inside with daddy or I can take you to time out."

Him (sobbing) "I go inside, I dont wanna go to timeout"

Me "Great Choice!! Give me 5!! Wow that was a really smart choice"

Son (smiling all of a sudden) "Come on daddy we go inside."

The key is, he knows that the timeout choice is for real and will happen if he doesn't choose anything.

Oh believe me, we try the whole choices/timeout thing all the time. Sometimes it works, usually not. Usually she just puts her foot down and says "i don't want to" do whatever and when told then we go to timeout, it's "i don't want to" followed by the kicking and screaming and trying to leave timeout while we continually put her back in the timeout corner.

Recently I've concluded she's going through not only her terrible twos, but her teenage years early at the same time.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe