[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McNabb , what a toolbox

RJV

McNabb noted that he did not bring up the issue about how quarterbacks of different races are criticized, but was questioned about it by Brown.

"The question was asked; I answered it," he said. "I've been in this business for a long time. If I don't answer a question, then it's an issue. If I do answer the question, it's an issue."

He has a valid point here.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I jinxed McNabb by finally giving him some credit for what he has done in the past. Sell him as fast as you can. For a detailed list of players I have jinxed, send checks payable to Hooiserdaddy.

I tried to do this earlier in the week with a thread on how well the Packers have been playing this year...I think they will win the division...

just wanted to reiterate that they will win the division this year...

Edited by alexgaddis

"The question was asked; I answered it," he said. "I've been in this business for a long time. If I don't answer a question, then it's an issue. If I do answer the question, it's an issue."

:D

When Bryant Gumbel, the guy who stopped just short of calling Gene Upshaw an "Uncle Tom" last year, invites a black QB onto his show, how can he NOT expect to be given a race-based question.... especially when said QB was the target of a famous perceived racist comment by Rush Limbaugh a few years ago. That's Gumbel's M.O. and everybody knows it.

:D

When Bryant Gumbel, the guy who stopped just short of calling Gene Upshaw an "Uncle Tom" last year, invites a black QB onto his show, how can he NOT expect to be given a race-based question.... especially when said QB was the target of a famous perceived racist comment by Rush Limbaugh a few years ago. That's Gumbel's M.O. and everybody knows it.

Gumbell is a tool. I refuse to watch anything with him on it. When he was in the booth, I just muted the TV and listened to music during games.

Perhaps this will help clear things up for those that think McNabb was playing some kind of race card.

From today's Philadelphia Inquirer:

During his news conference yesterday, McNabb said he didn't regret his comments, but he attempted several times to clarify them and said they were blown out of proportion.

"I answered the way I felt," McNabb said. "So did I expect backlash from it? Yeah. Everything I say I expect backlash from." McNabb said he felt African American quarterbacks are more apt to be categorized as running quarterbacks and asked about that part of their game more often than his white peers. He said he believed it should just be about winning games. "That's what it's all about," he said. "It doesn't matter if you're black, white, red, green, yellow. It's about winning football games."

McNabb noted that he did not bring up the issue about how quarterbacks of different races are criticized, but was questioned about it by Brown.

And what about the 0-2 Eagles' struggling offense, which will return to the field Sunday against the 2-0 Detroit Lions?

"Offensively, we're just a little bit out of sync," McNabb said. ". . . We just have to be able to capitalize, and . . . this is the time to change."

And these comments, from his blog:

Excerpts from Donovan McNabb's blog last night at yardbarker.com:

"There has been a lot of talk about the interview I did on HBO's Real Sports. I have no apologies. I was asked a variety of questions and I answered them. The fact that the producers and publicists at HBO decided to focus on those answers that related to race shows that it remains a hot topic in society today. . . .

"The interview took place in August before the season started, so . . . those who think I 'played the race card' because we are 0-2 are dead wrong.

"I did not say that Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Carson Palmer are not criticized when they don't play well. They have been criticized when they throw interceptions, when they throw incompletions, and when their teams don't win. . . . But that's not the type of criticism that we discussed.

"Black quarterbacks have to deal with different things than white quarterbacks. If you don't think that's true then you are naïve. Peyton, Tom and Carson . . . have never been asked what it's like to be a white quarterback. They probably have not been told that they should have scrambled more. I bet Fran Tarkenton, Steve Young, Jake Plummer and Doug Flutie have never been told by a member of any racial-consciousness organization that they don't play the quarterback position white enough."

While I wish he just would have said "no comment", I commend him for being man enough to say what he really feels (whether the general population feels its inappropriate or not).

Given that we're barely 20 years since Doug Williams' Super bowl performance I have no problem believing that black QBs are put under a larger microscope/somewhat different standard than white QBs.

Except for Grossman, but he's jewish. :D

Philly played the Pats in the Super Bowl recently, not the Bucs.

And, it also seems to me when McNabb had a big time receiver (Owens), he completed plenty of passes downfield, not just the quick ones to the RB and TE.

This has been blown way out of proportion. This is simply McNabb's opinion. He's a good guy that meant no harm and answered a question honestly in a interview done in AUGUST. Disagree if you want with his opinion but that doesn't make him a toolbox.

Sorry, but any time the race card is played, you have to expect this sort of response. And what difference does it make "when" he made the comments? He's not backing off what he said.

Time for him to go in Philly. He's grasping at straws and brought all this down on himself. Even if he's just answering questions honestly, as a high profile guy, you have to know how to answer questions in the media without bringing a crapstorm down on yourself.

I like McNabb and I hope he comes through this ok. I just hope he doesn't wind up in the NFC North like everyone is speculating. :D

Edited by Sturphy

Sorry, but any time the race card is played, you have to expect this sort of response. And what difference does it make "when" he made the comments? He's not backing off what he said.

Time for him to go in Philly. He's grasping at straws and brought all this down on himself. Even if he's just answering questions honestly, as a high profile guy, you have to know how to answer questions in the media without bringing a crapstorm down on yourself.

I like McNabb and I hope he comes through this ok. I just hope he doesn't wind up in the NFC North like everyone is speculating. :D

First off he didn't pull the race card, the topic/question was addressed to him. And why should he back off from what he said and believes, because others don't agree with it? Also, it makes a big difference when he made these comments.

You have to remember the timing of this story coming out. It was after their loss, being 0-2 and McNabb and the Philly offense not playing well at all. It made it look like he was whining, making excuses and reaching for the overly used "race card" which wasn't the case. Like I've said before he's always been under the microscope and for some reason or the other been criticized whether the team was winning, losing or not winning it all.

Just read my post of unfair treatment of Black QB's and you might understand where he's coming from. If you don't or disagree, no problem that's your opinion. Just don't sh*t on him for speaking his mind.

And why should he back off from what he said and believes, because others don't agree with it?

How about because it draws crazy media attention and makes him look bad? When you're that high profile, and a team player, it just tends to be a bad idea to be controversial. Unless he's enjoying all this, which I doubt.

Fish - It's obvious you're passionate about this topic. And I did read your other thread. I'm not trying to get you or anyone worked up. Race card, talking about race, black qb vs. white qb...it's just never something you can talk about, in a televised interview, without expecting people to get worked up. Especially when not one person in the NFL is backing him on this.

Bah...why am I talking about this. The whole thing sucks. My last post on the topic.

How about because it draws crazy media attention and makes him look bad? When you're that high profile, and a team player, it just tends to be a bad idea to be controversial. Unless he's enjoying all this, which I doubt.

Fish - It's obvious you're passionate about this topic. And I did read your other thread. I'm not trying to get you or anyone worked up. Race card, talking about race, black qb vs. white qb...it's just never something you can talk about, in a televised interview, without expecting people to get worked up. Especially when not one person in the NFL is backing him on this.

Bah...why am I talking about this. The whole thing sucks. My last post on the topic.

he says stuff like this and then wonders why he gets scrutinized by everyone...

I confused about this whole Race issue that Mcnabb is saying. Some of the things Ive been hearing some people say is well its because he plays in Philly and its a tough city to play for. Something was just pointed out on the news it says that % wise Philly is mostly Black so who is McNabb throwing this Race card at?

Edited by MikesMarauders

I confused about this whole Race issue that Mcnabb is saying. Some of the things Ive been hearing some people say is well its because he plays in Philly and its a tough city to play for. Something was just pointed out on the news it says that % wise Philly is mostly Black so who is McNabb throwing this Race card at?

honestly....

I don't think anyone knows...

I think he's targeting racist people in general? :D

I am passionate but not worked up. These types of discussions should be talked about openly so people can express their views. It's the only way society as a whole can improve. It's ashame race issues go south quickly. I personally enjoy everyone's opinion no matter how frustrating or annoying certain topics are. That's why I enjoy these meesage boards so much. It's the ignorant immature posts that insult people because they disagree about topics that I dispise and bring down the quality of this board. Always remember boys, no harm intended and no harm taken. At the end of the day we're all just football fans. :D