[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need the help of my Huddle brethren

Big Country

Background - I am super skeptical of those MLM pyramid scheme things.

Friends of ours have gotten into this "Visalis" product which I guess is some vitamin thing. Typical pyramid scheme where you get 5 people under you and they eac hget 5 under them that you make money off of. Anyway, my wife caved in and agreed to go to their place for dinner so we can hear the spiel. No chance we'd agree to do it, but we'll humor them.

Anyway, I did a quick google search and couldn't come up with much other than links for other schemes like don't follow their method, use ours.

Anyway, any Huddlers out there either have some info on this that I can arm myself with (either pro or con, I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, but it will need to be a very convincing pro argument to sway my opinion of these things) or have the time and willingness to find some links so that as soon as I get home I can do some quick research on this thing before heading out.

At least I guess we are getting a free meal out of it, but I could use the all might power of the Huddle Nation to give me some info so I am not heading into this onslaught blind and unarmed.

Can you make money on this...I guess, but much like Amway, it's the early joiners that have the only shot. They're all BS! Stay away! You pay in more than you'll ever get back.

IF you decided to do it, and IF you'd make money, you'd still become the guy that everybody tries to avoid and won't want to go to dinner with.

Edited by chester

i think i would rather go to a couples' shower with spain than to dinner with someone trying to get me in their pyramid scheme. :D

+1. We had some friends once who got into this racket and wanted us to buy all sorts of cleaning stuff at an insane price. For what they were charging, I could have had an underground tank put in and had it delivered by the tanker load. They were put out when I fell about laughing.

+1. We had some friends once who got into this racket and wanted us to buy all sorts of cleaning stuff at an insane price. For what they were charging, I could have had an underground tank put in and had it delivered by the tanker load. They were put out when I fell about laughing.

I'm sure I'll have the same reaction and my wife will be mad at me for laughing at this couple for falling for it. She just wants to go so they'll stop bugging her about it. Better be some good food.

ISMHO, it'll be like the time I took a free trip to Tahoe in exchange for listening to the time share spiel. Not really worth it, but I sure had fun with the guy when I started throwing some numbers down on paper and showed him how I would be a lot better off just purchasing a place outright for the amount they were charging. He resorted to attempting to belittle my decision making and Itold him and his manager in some not so polite ways, in front of their other potential clients what Ithought of their tactics and their offer. THey were nice enough to get us out of there and back to the hotel quite quickly.

Avoid. And if I may be so bold... I'd question these people as "friends", too. JSMHO.

Ahh.. they're good people... just IMO a little taken in with this idea that you can make money off of this with a minimum of work. I'll enjoy the dinner, enjoy laying out the facts once the spiel stats and maybe open their eyes that it is not so lucrative.

Ahh.. they're good people... just IMO a little taken in with this idea that you can make money off of this with a minimum of work. I'll enjoy the dinner, enjoy laying out the facts once the spiel stats and maybe open their eyes that it is not so lucrative.

Yeah.... I had two "friends" (one female, one male, separate incidents) that tried to sell me on these kinds of things. In some cases - and I believe in both of my cases - they're simply trying to make more money. Off of you. That's not what friendship is about, IMO. Anyways, enjoy the dinner, keep an open mind, but if they start questioning your decision (if they do, in fact, do this) then tell them no dessert! :D

ISMHO, it'll be like the time I took a free trip to Tahoe in exchange for listening to the time share spiel. Not really worth it, but I sure had fun with the guy when I started throwing some numbers down on paper and showed him how I would be a lot better off just purchasing a place outright for the amount they were charging. He resorted to attempting to belittle my decision making and Itold him and his manager in some not so polite ways, in front of their other potential clients what Ithought of their tactics and their offer. THey were nice enough to get us out of there and back to the hotel quite quickly.

Given this info, I think you will be fine.

And I agree 100% with Chester - even if you did it, and made some good money doing it, it wouldn't be worth it. In these days of Caller ID, how many of this couples "friends" actually pick up the phone when they call, do you think?

Ha, my cousins are into a similar MLM product called Mona Vie. They tried to get us into it. I tried it and it tasted like ass. I had no interest. I have also written software for an adult oriented MLM site.

I wouldn't get in on your friend's offer. As others have said, it's not worth it unless you get in on it VERY early.

BC,

Your post about your trip to Tahoe brings up an OT tactic I use for these types of offers, where they give you either a prize/free hotel for listenign to their 90-minute sales pitch.

Me and the swammette do this all the time. We have had weekend in Myrtle Beach, Boston, Atlantic City, Seven Springs resort...and I got a set of Tommy Armour 845 irons, and a 20-inch flat-screen for the kids playroom.

Our tactic: when they bring you in to try to close you, I tell them that their place is terrific, and we are strongly considering it, but we are co-investing in the property with three other couples, and just can't make a decision for the group without them seeing it. I tell them I will be in touch the next day to set up a time for them visit (if its close-by), or tell them we'll be down for a tour in the next several weeks. They then try to hard-close, saying its a "today-only offer"...I then say "sorry dude, but I can't move forward without my co-investors seeing the property, and I'm not screwing them by investing without them...we like your place, and it is definitely an option, but I can't do it without them"...after about 5-10 minutes of this, we are out of their office, prize in hand. Certainly worth 60-90 minutes of our time.

Never fails, and since I am in hotel sales/marketing/consutling, I actually get a kick out of hearing their presentations...I usually find lots of things to tell my clients what NOT to do.

In defense of MLM programs . . .

Those that are successful in these companies rely on getting people to dream. They find out what is your hot button, a bigger house, car, vacation, whatever. Then they ask you if you can achieve these dreams doing what you're doing. Most Americans can't, they are stuck living paycheck to paycheck, with minimal chance for a significant lifestyle change.

Then they offer you their plan. It's a ray of hope, a chance that there is a way possible for you to change your life and get those things you always dream of. It's a small chance, but (maybe) a small chance is better than no chance (if that's what you have now).

People that buy into this then take on the task of promoting this system in their own circle of acquaintances. The dream is what drives them, and what the product is, really makes no difference, as long as it is a consumable that people will buy over and over (vitamins, soap, ...)

If your friends really believe in what they are doing, they think they are offering you a chance to get out of the rut. Don't hold it against them for taking the chance themselves, and trying to share it.

Hold it against them if they persist after you've said no.