[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Defintion of an "Illegal Lineup"

Danny Zuko

In our league teams are not allowed to play with an illegal lineup. I would think that only applies to players on bye weeks or players out for the year. If a player is hurt (such as Deon Branch) is that team's lineup considered "illegal?" What about a team with a player that is listed as "doubtful" on the injury report?

It depends on what the league rules state. If someone wants to start an injured player, then there should be no problem unless there is some off league rule. If a team wants to play someone who is on bye or clearly out, that too should be covered in the rules but if it is because they are intetionally tanking a game for some reason, then as a commish I would step in to maintain the integrity of the league. It just needs to be spelled out in the league rules though and failing that, brought up for a quick vote if shenanigans are afoot.

Including injured players in that opens a can of worms. I pay more attention to this sort of thing than anyone in my league and started a guy this week who was inactive: Santonio Holmes. I set my line-up that morning and left. Where do you draw the line?

If the definition of "illegal" is not spelled out, I would take it as being something in the line of incorrect lineup positions, such as starting 3 WRs if the rules only allow for 2 starting WRs. Starting a bye-week or injured player would not fall into being "illegal",.

Edited by Big John

Including injured players in that opens a can of worms. I pay more attention to this sort of thing than anyone in my league and started a guy this week who was inactive: Santonio Holmes. I set my line-up that morning and left. Where do you draw the line?

+1

So if there is a gametime injury and you chose wrong you do not get points for the entire team??? Does not seem fair to me :D

The rule:

>>>>Lineup Requirements

During weeks 1-13 no team is allowed to have a non-active player in their starting lineup. If any team has an obvious hole in their lineup (this includes hurt, bye week, or a player who does not play) and does not pick up an active player, the council will vote on who should be added to their roster prior to the game and I will override their lineup and charge the team the transaction fee.<<<

The problem is a guy like Jamal Lewis. If he is put in the lineup and doesn't play, then the league AUTOMATICALLY finds a substitute for him. Does that make any sense?

If the definition of "illegal" is not spelled out, I would take it as being something in the line of incorrect lineup positions, such as starting 3 WRs if the rules only allow for 2 starting WRs. Starting a bye-week or injured player would not fall into being "illegal",.

what he said

The rule:

>>>>Lineup Requirements

During weeks 1-13 no team is allowed to have a non-active player in their starting lineup. If any team has an obvious hole in their lineup (this includes hurt, bye week, or a player who does not play) and does not pick up an active player, the council will vote on who should be added to their roster prior to the game and I will override their lineup and charge the team the transaction fee.<<<

The problem is a guy like Jamal Lewis. If he is put in the lineup and doesn't play, then the league AUTOMATICALLY finds a substitute for him. Does that make any sense?

So the league fixed someone's mistake?

Edited by SMF

The rule:

>>>>Lineup Requirements

Sounds like a pretty ridiculous rule to me - way over the top insofar as making sure owners stay on top of things. What happens if you intentionally want to leave a slot open b/c you don't have anyone worth dropping and think you can win your game that week playing a man short? The "council" forces you to drop someone? Foolish.

Can we at least agree it is a bad rule? The problem stems when a team out of playoff contention does not make moves anymore moves. Yes, it's in bad taste, but in leagues where there are transaction fees, is it fair to force someone pay for something they don't need? Conversely, while teams battle for playoff positioning, is it fair for teams to have much easier matchups because someone is too cheap to spend the money on a transaction?

Can we at least agree it is a bad rule? The problem stems when a team out of playoff contention does not make moves anymore moves. Yes, it's in bad taste, but in leagues where there are transaction fees, is it fair to force someone pay for something they don't need? Conversely, while teams battle for playoff positioning, is it fair for teams to have much easier matchups because someone is too cheap to spend the money on a transaction?

I think it is fair to require players to find replacements for all players either on a bye week or deemed inactive by the time injury reports come out on Friday. After that, they need to let it go. Once again, someone should not be penalized because they actually have a life and can't comb the web on Sunday morning to see who's a last minute scratch.

You can't expect all owners to sit in front of the TV every week to wait for last minute game time decisions to be made. Unless the player is clearly ruled OUT of the game, starting a questionable player should be allowed. You shouldn't force an owner to make roster changes to pick up a player to insert just in case your starter doesn't play.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Ignoring the multitude of issues that ridiculous rule must create on a weekly basis, I would interpret it to mean players who are either on bye weeks, listed as "OUT" on the NFL's official injury report, or not currently on a NFL team's roster. An owner should not be penalized for having a player listed as "Doubtful" in his or her starting lineup as there is still some question, however small, as to whether or not that player will actually play.

The rule:

>>>>Lineup Requirements

That's a terrible rule - in both content and intent. What is an "obvious hole?" When do you make the determination that there is an obvious hole in the lineup? What parameters are there, if any, concerning the "council vote." When does the council vote - 12:55?

It kinda boggles the mind.

The rule:

>>>>Lineup Requirements

No, that doesn't make any sense. So if a player is a game-time decision, you are forced to know if a new player is a scratch. And 5 minutes before kickoff the commish is obligated to add a player for you since you didn't know what you were doing? That's just bs.

Edited by MikesVikes

Bad rule. Let owners manage their teams. As others have noted, there are times where a team may not want to drop a player from their roster and would prefer to head into a game a man short in their lineup.

Also, regarding your concern about teams eliminated from the playoffs not making moves... when yo ucharge per transaction, can you blame them. If I was out of contention, I would not make any moves that cost actual money. In my leagues that do not charge per transaction, I do so that I can put out the best possible team each week.

+1

you can't penalize a team for starting a "bye-week" player, if thats all they have on their roster...this week, suppose a team had Walker, Williams, Wayne and Harrisonl on their team. You can't make them drop a stud player or two just so they can field a team of lesser players who aren't on the bye.

In fact, some gurus believe it strategic to draft players who all are on the bye the same week...that way, you only have to deal with bye-week issues once a season.

Big Johns definition above is exactly as it should be.

The rule:

>>>>Lineup Requirements

this may be the dumbest rule I have ever read...and I have been playing FF since 1991.

+1

you can't penalize a team for starting a "bye-week" player, if thats all they have on their roster...this week, suppose a team had Walker, Williams, Wayne and Harrisonl on their team. You can't make them drop a stud player or two just so they can field a team of lesser players who aren't on the bye.

In fact, some gurus believe it strategic to draft players who all are on the bye the same week...that way, you only have to deal with bye-week issues once a season.

That's a really good point.

I know someone mentioned it already, but Santonio Holmes from this week is a perfect example...there was no buildup to him not playing because his injury happened in warmups...I set my lineup the night before because I knew I was leaving early Sunday to play golf then go to the Angels playoff game (dont ask!!!) and I knew I wouldnt see anything until after the games were done. Should I be penalized because I was not sitting at my computer ten minutes before the games started to know that (other than taking a zero for Holmes of course)...

Horrible rule, and I, like the majority, agree with Big John...

I know someone mentioned it already, but Santonio Holmes from this week is a perfect example...there was no buildup to him not playing because his injury happened in warmups...I set my lineup the night before because I knew I was leaving early Sunday to play golf then go to the Angels playoff game (dont ask!!!) and I knew I wouldnt see anything until after the games were done. Should I be penalized because I was not sitting at my computer ten minutes before the games started to know that (other than taking a zero for Holmes of course)...

Horrible rule, and I, like the majority, agree with Big John...

Ahh.. but the "Council" would have picked someone up that did play for you so you would have scored more :D

The rule:

>>>>Lineup Requirements

Absolute rediculous rule. Man, I imagine this league has all kinds of problems Thanksgiving weekend when alot of people are travelling. Not everyone owns a laptop.

Ahh.. but the "Council" would have picked someone up that did play for you so you would have scored more :D

Oh okay...kind of started skimming at the end, so I didnt catch the official rule until now...I thought it meant that your whole week was disqualified...

So then the "council" would vote on who I should drop to get a player to play in place of Holmes? I would have a problem with that, since they may vote to drop a player I want to hold onto for reasons that are not obviuos to the rest of the league. And how would that be fair to the person I am playing? I lost this week, by about 10, so it was dumb luck on my part this week, but those are the breaks. If I were the guy playing a team like this, I would be TICKED...

either way, ridiculous rule...

+1

I agree with this, good points raised, especially the part about dropping a stud or two.

When the roster is illegal and the "council" forces an add, I assume they also force a drop. Do they reverse this transaction after the week's game is over giving the owner of the illegal roster his dropped players back? What a mess.