[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Recommend an album, and I'll go buy it right now

AtomicCEO

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you like that god is an astronaut....how much tortoise do you have?

my addition to this thread.....can - ege bamyasi

Tortoise = the forefathers of post rock.

Other good bands are:

1-Speed Bike

Explosions in the Sky

Jesu

Sigur Ros

Stereolab

The Album Leaf

I need a few more albums to fill out an mp3 CD I'm putting together. I have like 4 albums I want to dump onto the CD, but I need some more.

It must be a complete album.

It must be something interesting, musically.

It must also be highly listenable.

I must be able to sing along with it in my car, loudly.

No country. Country-inspired rock is a maybe.

It must be something that you think I'd actually like

I like: Radiohead, Phish, Jon Spencer, Dead, Ween, Nintendo soundtracks, Modest Mouse, Long walks on the beach, Pink Floyd, Jose Gonzales, Sufjan Stevens, Beer, John Frusciante, breakdancing, loud obnoxious noises not related to metal music, bad singers, David Byrne, and good singers.

Go.

I may mock you if you recommend crap. :D

Ok, seriously, go.

Umphreys Mcgee: Anchor Drops and Live from the Murat (comes out tomorrow)

Boombox: Visions of Backbeat (electronic duo with Donna Jean Godcheaux's son playing guitar)

Bockman: Chasing Dragons

Trey Anastasio: The Horshoe Curve (live jams from the year he had the 11piece monster band, very afro-cubanish)

Ozomatli- self titled. One album that I have literally worn out three times. Very very latin.

Soulive- Doin' Somethin' and No Place Like Soul (if you like Al Green crossed with a modern hip hop flare)

Those are all albums that I listen to in their entirety!!!! Front to back!!!!! Mostly newer stuff, no album older than 2005.

Hope this helps

I need a few more albums to fill out an mp3 CD I'm putting together. I have like 4 albums I want to dump onto the CD, but I need some more.

It must be a complete album.

It must be something interesting, musically.

It must also be highly listenable.

I must be able to sing along with it in my car, loudly.

No country. Country-inspired rock is a maybe.

It must be something that you think I'd actually like

I like: Radiohead, Phish, Jon Spencer, Dead, Ween, Nintendo soundtracks, Modest Mouse, Long walks on the beach, Pink Floyd, Jose Gonzales, Sufjan Stevens, Beer, John Frusciante, breakdancing, loud obnoxious noises not related to metal music, bad singers, David Byrne, and good singers.

Go.

I may mock you if you recommend crap. :D

Ok, seriously, go.

I'm really into what you would put under country or country inspired rock right now but I've got one I know you will like and another two you might. Your criteria is very high. There's only maybe five great all-the-way through albums, IMHO (there might be a few more) but off the top of my head:

Jane's Addiction - Jane's Addiction

Slayer - South of Heaven

REM - Chronic Town

GWAR - America Must be Destroyed

Sublime - Sublime

I'll give you four bands I recommend and my favorite albums three are Texas bands. By coincidence all from the DFW area:

1. Midlake - Trials of Van Occupanther. It's probably college rock. If so, its good college rock. Fleetwood Mac meets Milton Mapes. I like the tune Roscoe the best. Balloon Maker has grown on me. Under the alternative category on itunes.

2. Sorta - Sweet Little Bay. Sorta is supposed to describe their sound. Sorta this, sorta that. That's pretty close. Mellow rock. I'm listening to their 1st ablum Laugh Out Loud a lot, it's really good too. The bass player is the producer of a local sports radio show. I think the band stands on its own just fine. The song Bridges gives me the exact same vibe as the Replacements tune Skyway. Under the rock category on itunes.

3. CentroMatic - anything. On itunes I think they are under the category "low-fi" whathever the heck that's supposed to mean. If you have not heard of CentroMatic then they are the best band you've never heard of. There is no question about that. They can rock pretty well and can even do some country/rock stuff. Again, if you've never heard of them, of all the bands you have never heard of, they are the best. I don't have a good reputation so pick someone who does, like Az. I'll stake his reputation on that. I'm not sure they have a perfect album but the've got several really good ones. This dude Will Johnson puts out about an album a year and they tour constantly. Operation Motorcide is their newest and I just haven't had the spare cash and time to go get it which is a f*cking travesty. I got the tune Atlanta off of itunes with a coupon from Hot Pockets or Pop Tarts and if it's any indication, Operation Motorcide will be excellent. My favorite is Navagational then Distance and Chime, All the Falsest Hearts Can Try, then Non-Directional Jetpack Race.

4. Great Lake Swimmers - under the Americana/Roots rock category in most media players. I have a feeling you've probably heard them. Don't know why. I heard them open for CentroMatic on a free podcast about a year ago from Athens opening for CentroMatic and have liked them since. They are Nucks from Toronto but there's nothing that can be done about that. If the world were a perfect place, tank would be in charge. Bodies and Minds is the only one I've heard aside from the live ipod. It's really good.

Edited by Clubfoothead

I'm really into what you would put under country or country inspired rock right now but I've got one I know you will like and another two you might. Your criteria is very high. There's only maybe five great all-the-way through albums, IMHO (there might be a few more) but off the top of my head:

Jane's Addiction - Jane's Addiction

Slayer - South of Heaven

REM - Chronic Town

GWAR - America Must be Destroyed

Sublime - Sublime

I'll give you three bands I recommend and my favorite albums are all three Texas bands. By coincidence all from the DFW area:

1. Midlake - Trials of Van Occupanther. It's probably college rock. If so, its good college rock. Fleetwood Mac meets Milton Mapes. I like the tune Roscoe the best. Balloon Maker has grown on me. Under the alternative category on itunes.

2. Sorta - Sweet Little Bay. Sorta is supposed to describe their sound. Sorta this, sorta that. That's pretty close. Mellow rock. I'm listening to their 1st ablum Laugh Out Loud a lot, it's really good too. The bass player is the producer of a local sports radio show. I think the band stands on its own just fine. The song Bridges gives me the exact same vibe as the Replacements tune Skyway. Under the rock category on itunes.

3. CentroMatic - anything. On itunes I think they are under the category "low-fi" whathever the heck that's supposed to mean. If you have not heard of CentroMatic then they are the best band you've never heard of. There is no question about that. They can rock pretty well and can even do some country/rock stuff. Again, if you've never heard of them, of all the bands you have never heard of, they are the best. I don't have a good reputation so pick someone who does, like Az. I'll stake his reputation on that. I'm not sure they have a perfect album but the've got several really good ones. This dude Will Johnson puts out about an album a year and they tour constantly. Operation Motorcide is their newest and I just haven't had the spare cash and time to go get it which is a f*cking travesty. I got the tune Atlanta off of itunes with a coupon from Hot Pockets or Pop Tarts and if it's any indication, Operation Motorcide will be excellent. My favorite is Navagational then Distance and Chime, All the Falsest Hearts Can Try, then Non-Directional Jetpack Race.

4. Great Lake Swimmers - under the Americana/Roots rock category in most media players. I have a feeling you've probably heard them. Don't know why. I heard them open for CentroMatic on a free podcast about a year ago from Athens opening for CentroMatic and have liked them since. They are Nucks from Toronto but there's nothing that can be done about that. If the world were a perfect place, tank would be in charge. Bodies and Minds is the only one I've heard aside from the live ipod. It's really good.

That over Nothing's Shocking? Very interesting.

That over Nothing's Shocking? Very interesting.

Easily. Mountain Song canot make up for Pigs in Zen being on two.

That over "Scumdogs of the Universe"?

That was a really tough call. P*ssy Planet gave the nod to America Must be Destroyed. Plus, I saw them live at the Peppermint Club in Virginia Beach on that tour and had a beer with Slymenstra Hymen before the show. I think they were frome near Virginia Beach. It was a great show.

if you like that god is an astronaut....how much tortoise do you have?

I have exactly one Tortoise album. I consider it: pretty good.

Tortoise = the forefathers of post rock.

Other good bands are:

1-Speed Bike

Explosions in the Sky

Jesu

Sigur Ros

Stereolab

The Album Leaf

I have 3 Albums Leaf's and 1 Sigur Ros already.

"In a Safe Place" is one of my favorite albums. I believe I tried to get Yuke, Club, and Darin into them, but I doubt I did.

The album leaf is kinda like Yes. You take the distinct chance of people thinking you are a homo if you tell people you like them.

I realize I'm late to the party but honored that I got in the title :D

Some mentioned earlier:

Wolf Parade - overrated IMO. I bought it on a whim and like one song...... kinda. Seems a bit contrived.

Wilco (Sky Blue Sky) - Like you Atomic I never really could get into Wilco. Many of my friends have been listening for years, and they are a local band. However, the new CD (mentioned) did grab me a bit. The first two songs, at the very least, are worth downloading. Tweedy's voice sounds much like John Lennon at times - you can definitely hear the Beatles influence.

Unicorns - I own it because of my love of the Islands - it's definitely not as good as Islands (IMO), but decent enough to not be pissed that I bought it.

My recommendations:

If you don't have any Herbie Hancock, I strongly recommend the Head Hunters album - and if you already have Head Hunters then buy his follow up album Thrust. These are of course all instrumental, but damn good if you love groove.

A fantastic acoustic album to purchase is Gil & Jorge - Gilberto Gil is one of the best foreign artists I've ever come across. The Jorge in this equation is Jorge Ben. These are both great guitarists playing a style called Tropicalia. It's basically a Brazillian jazz sound. Gilberto is vocal improv type singer and also an excellent guitarist. Get this CD if you haven't already. When you buy this CD (you will buy it) and listen to the track called Taj Mahal - you will hear the original version of a song stolen by Rod Stewart. I won't tell you the Rod Stewart title, you will know it once you hear this version.

Well CEO a lot of good music has been mentioned. When I read your post I figured you wanted something new. Of all the new music that I have bought this year, the new album, Happiness LTD from Hot Hot Heat is one of my favorites. It certainly fits your criteria of great music and car sing-a-longability.

Give it a listen.

Edited by 'canes2004

If you don't have any Herbie Hancock, I strongly recommend the Head Hunters album - and if you already have Head Hunters then buy his follow up album Thrust.

well dayum, of all the people for this mindless noodler recommendation to come from... :D

while you're at it, you may as well get "tribute to jack johnson" by the man himself, miles davis. if you like one album, you'll probably like the other.