[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I know this is going to be easy or stupid of me but...

Skippy

I just bought new tires for my car. They mounted the tires off the car. They brought the tires up to correct pressure while the tire was on a tire mounting device. Now what is making me scratch my head is this.

If the tire calls for 36psi and you mount that tire and bring it to 36psi without any load on it, would not the psi go up when you put that same tire on the car and let the weight of the car down on to the tires? :D

I used to work in a body shop and I am very familiar with the mechanics of a car but I am almost embarrassed to admit that I am puzzled by this.

Should I email Bill Nye the science guy or do one of you huddlers know how to shine some brightness on my density?

If you take the weight of the car and divide by 4, then multiply the psi to that number, you'll get the gross adjusted psi necessary for manufacturers specs. You can then let out this much air, PER TIRE, to achieve proper balance.

You can do this yourself at home.

Well, yes that makes total sense and I just sent my boy to the auto part store to by a tire gauge because I am just sitting and wondering, but I am willing to bet that it is going to be the correct pressure. So then my guess would be that the tire shop only fills the tires to 32psi, (or whatever), and lets the car make up the difference.

I could just wait until tomorrow and call them for their explaination but this just seemed so much better.

Plus I was hoping that Puddy would jump in there and let me know.

If a fly is sitting on the dashbord in your car and you are doing 60 MPH and it takes off, is it flying 60 MPH in order not to smash the back windshield?

Why you only doing 60mph ??

And to answer your question , Splat

Only cheetah's can do more than 60 mph and only once in history of mankind that I am aware of has a cheetah been on a dashboard

If a fly is sitting on the dashbord in your car and you are doing 60 MPH and it takes off, is it flying 60 MPH in order not to smash the back windshield?

If a little kid is sitting in the far back seat of a van that is doing 60 MPH and he walks forward to the next row of seats, is he walking 60 MPH in order to not smash against the back window?

If a little kid is sitting in the far back seat of a van that is doing 60 MPH and he walks forward to the next row of seats, is he walking 60 MPH in order to not smash against the back window?

Dealing with relative speeds here. His relative speed is the speed he is walking within the van. If he is sitting, he is not moting in relation to the van. If taken in relation of the road, then he is doing 60MPH +/- his walking speed. Other relation factors could be taken such as using the earth's rotation around its axis or around the sun to get much faster speeds. :D

They usually do not check the tire pressure at tire shops, they just fullim till they are hard.

Always check as soon as you leave and adjust. I always over fil 3-5 PSI, in my truck I run'm at 50. Gives you better mileage and the tires will last longer.

OK, in spite of what everyone says, I know you're brighter than this...

Its his inertia that keeps him from smashing into the back of the window not his speed. Anyone see the Mythbusters where they were doing the Knight Rider drive into the back of that truck? That explains the concept pretty well.

I don't buy $20 walmart tires.

The Maxima calls for 32psi, they are 225/50/17, very low profile, I run them at 35, Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS, $200 each.

The truck has 285/75/16's, max PSI is 65, I run them at 50, Bridgestone Dualer AT/REVO $200 Each.

What kind of tires does your dodge neon use sisterf0ker?

Its his inertia that keeps him from smashing into the back of the window not his speed. Anyone see the Mythbusters where they were doing the Knight Rider drive into the back of that truck? That explains the concept pretty well.

I didn't post that as a real question. I was just twisting words so that tbimm, who I am sure was not posting that as a real question, could see a live example of what we all know happens.

I did not see that Mythbuster show. What was the result of that test? I would think that it is easy to pull off so long as the truck and the car are going pretty close to the same speed. However, the car would have to jump all over the brakes, I would assume, as soon as he hit the truck.

Also the same as an escalator I guess. You get on there and take that ride but that first step is kind of weird. If that escalator was going just 1mph more it would probably cause a lot of problems.

I did not see that Mythbuster show. What was the result of that test? I would think that it is easy to pull off so long as the truck and the car are going pretty close to the same speed. However, the car would have to jump all over the brakes, I would assume, as soon as he hit the truck.

Also the same as an escalator I guess. You get on there and take that ride but that first step is kind of weird. If that escalator was going just 1mph more it would probably cause a lot of problems.

It was pulled off pretty easily by both Adam and Jamie. It didnt even seem like they really had to jump right on the brakes as soon as they were on the ramp. I think the impact with the ramp slowed the car sufficently to keep it from flying into the trailer.

Were all traveling at the speed the earth rotates right?

And at the speed that the Earth revolves around the Sun... and at the speed that the Solar System revolves around the center of the Milky Way... etc., etc. That's how I lost all of my hair.

And at the speed that the Earth revolves around the Sun... and at the speed that the Solar System revolves around the center of the Milky Way... etc., etc. That's how I lost all of my hair.

:D Don't you still have a little bit left.

Dealing with relative speeds here. His relative speed is the speed he is walking within the van. If he is sitting, he is not moting in relation to the van. If taken in relation of the road, then he is doing 60MPH +/- his walking speed. Other relation factors could be taken such as using the earth's rotation around its axis or around the sun to get much faster speeds. :D

Whoa, so if you are going 60 MPH against the rotation of the Earth, you are actually going relationally faster by some huge factor than someone going 60 MPH WITH the rotation of the earth?

This kind of crap is why my daughter is going to be an engineer and I am not.

Pass the doobie, someone. :D

Edited by cre8tiff