[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Norwood

redbbe21

The problem is that Norwood is a liability in pass blocking & with the Falcons O'line not being the best pass blocking unit to begin with & now being absolutely DECIMATED with injuries, (lost another O'lineman yesterday - Foster - a guy they'd only signed the week before) a RB who is at least semi adept at pass blocking is a #1 priority & Dunn, although small, is more than adept at it.

Once Norwood picks up his game in the area of pass blocking, we'll see Petrino use him more. Until then though..... :D

I used to defend Dunn, mainly because he could pass block. I mean, if Norwood's not starting you've got to figure he must really suck. But seeing how bad Dunn has been this year, it really makes me wonder if a dip in pass blocking wouldn't be worth the extra production you could get out of Norwood. I don't know that he's a 20 carry per game back, but he's got the speed to make a big play every time he touches the ball. Dunn can seem to break anything more than a 3 yard run.

Since they're obviously not going to the playoffs, you have to think they give Norwood the chance at some point. Dunn's obviously not the future and would be better in a 3rd down role.

The problem is that Norwood is a liability in pass blocking & with the Falcons O'line not being the best pass blocking unit to begin with & now being absolutely DECIMATED with injuries, (lost another O'lineman yesterday - Foster - a guy they'd only signed the week before) a RB who is at least semi adept at pass blocking is a #1 priority & Dunn, although small, is more than adept at it.

Once Norwood picks up his game in the area of pass blocking, we'll see Petrino use him more. Until then though..... :D

+1

I never thought this was a good enough reason to keep any decent RB (let alone probably your best playmaker) off the field to the extent that Petrino keeps Norwood off the field... until I focused in on Norwood's pass protection/blitz pickup etc. Norwood is horrible at it and as a direct result his QBs have been clobbered because of it.

A few weeks ago it was reported by the AJC that he would get more looks. Well, turns out that the report was not false as that was about the time they put Norwood on kick returns.

I just don't buy that even if it is the reasoning they are using since little Warrick Dunn started out his careerwith 224 and 245 carries in his first two years. Norwood had just 99 last year and then 41 so far this year which projects out to 109 this year. Marshawn Lynch and Adrian Peterson seem okay to play as rookies. Norwood has gone through two NFL training camps and played in 20 NFL games already. Either he can or he cannot but I don't think his pass blocking skills has anything to do with it. I am at a loss to explain why he gains around 6 yards per carry both seasons and Dunn is given twice the attempts with only a 4.0 and 3.2 YPC the last two years. The only think I can believe is that they think they need a veteran on the young offense to feel more comfortable and that there are some politics involved with it that have to do with the team.

I've heard rumblings that Petrino is very close to losing control of the players on that team (if it has not already happened). Keeping the veteran Dunn on the field is probably the key to him trying to keep control of the inmates. That's just a guess on my part though. Maybe he's just an idiot.

Either he can or he cannot but I don't think his pass blocking skills has anything to do with it.

I wouldn't rule out politics either but if you can find tape of the Monday Nighter last week, you'll see why Norwood is such a liability in pass protection.

I mean pitiful. The play where the Piano Man was crushed (and injured) by Pierce... Norwood kind of half heartedly threw a sidearm at Pierce's legs. That was just one glaring and obvious example. Once or twice he just chose the wrong guy allowing them to go unabated.

It's apparent that Petrino likes to pass, and pass a lot. The OL is decimated by injuries so there's even more of a need now to go with anyone that can pass protect worth a damn.

I just don't buy that even if it is the reasoning they are using since little Warrick Dunn started out his careerwith 224 and 245 carries in his first two years. Norwood had just 99 last year and then 41 so far this year which projects out to 109 this year. Marshawn Lynch and Adrian Peterson seem okay to play as rookies. Norwood has gone through two NFL training camps and played in 20 NFL games already. Either he can or he cannot but I don't think his pass blocking skills has anything to do with it. I am at a loss to explain why he gains around 6 yards per carry both seasons and Dunn is given twice the attempts with only a 4.0 and 3.2 YPC the last two years. The only think I can believe is that they think they need a veteran on the young offense to feel more comfortable and that there are some politics involved with it that have to do with the team.

DMD,

Did you catch the game last week? If you had you would've seen Norwood ole` about three pass blocking assignments one of which led to Joey H. getting his ankle rolled up. I mean it was a complete whiff by Norwood. Luckily for the Falcons, it seems he's got rubber bands for ligaments as he was able to stay in the game & wasn't even on the injury report this week, but it sure looked ugly.

As far as both Lynch & AP go, both enjoy playing behind far better pass protecting O'lines. Remember, the Falcons O'line was built by Alex Gibbs to be a smallish, but quick & agile zone blocking unit. Petrino has changed up the blocking scheme to a more power blocking type unit & is of course asking them to do far more pass blocking for his type offense than they ever have before. Even before the injuries, their O'line was struglling & now that three quarters of the starters are out & they're plugging in guys brought in off the street just a couple of weeks ago, it's a freaking disaster.

Besides Norwood being a liability when asked to stay in for pass blocking / O'line help, I think you're closer to the mark with Dunn being in more for the steadying veteran presence, but the politics thing is way off.

I also believe that Norwood can improve this part of his game. He's an eager kid who really strives to get better & with the right Coaching I have no doubt that he will.