[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts are Cheaters?

theeohiostate

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be surprised to find out this is the case. CBS has admitted that they insert birds chirping in the background on their Masters telecast.

The problem couldn't be with the telecast as live viewers in the stadium heard the same thing. So that theory is washed.

The sound skipping was obvious done through the stadium speakers, now if CBS has the power to do that, then the Colts are off the hook. If not, they are busted.

Edited by theeohiostate

i thought it was a screw up in the transmission and i still do.

I think we'll find this is the case.

I work in audio for a living and I've always thought that CBS sports broadcasts were second rate when it came to their audio. They routinely drown out their broadcasters with their crowd track and make other minor blunders. There are a lot of variables and tech issues to consider from satellites and all the gear used to deliver the product ultimately to your TV.

Now that said, if the NFL is genuinely looking into it, maybe they have something to go on? I haven't heard the screwy audio in question, and I don't plan on listening to the clips out there. Don't care. Could be they were pumping in a track, but I think it's more likely that CBS botched their broadcast.

UPDATE: UH... CLEARLY I HADN'T HEARD THAT PEOPLE IN THE DOME HEARD THE ISSUE.

Edited by Sturphy

The NFL is investigating the Colts for allegedly piping in crowd noise for their game Sunday.

The Patriots wouldn't be the first team to accuse the Colts of this. The crowd noise sounded like it started to skip on CBS, and the league wants to know if it was just a television issue. The story may have legs considering observers at the game reportedly heard the problem, even if it ruins Greg Easterbrook's "Good vs. Evil II" column.

Seeing that observers at game reported the same issues as those of us watching the game, means it was coming from the stadium and not from the telecast.

Has Dungy stooped to Belicheats level to try to even the playing field?

Edited by theeohiostate

Seeing that observers at game reported the same issues as those of us watching the game, means it was coming from the stadium and not from the telecast.

Has Dungy stooped to Belicheats level to try to even the playing field?

:D

Me fail English? That's unpossible.

So, did all of the people in the stadium start doing a really awkward Irish Jig ala Ashley Simpson on SNL? :D

I was trying to formulate a joke that the crowd noise didnt skip it was actually just similar to a rap song when they hit the part that they go wicky wicky..Then I just got lazy

:D +1. It was also Polian on the grassy knoll with a Russian-issue sniper's rifle.

That said, I think I and most Pats fans who've taken a beating on this board for being loyal to the very embodiment of all things Evil would :D our a$$es off if SoundGate does indeed prove true. Not saying it IS true -- could easily be a glitch with CBS sound or any number of things, and I'd have a hard time believing that Dungy/Peyton (being the stand-up guys that they are, and I mean that) would support winning games using tactics like this, if they even knew -- but there have been allegations in the past (Steelers complained about piped-in sound after their playoff game). So f we're being fair and balanced, which I know is difficult for some around here, I'll use the ol' party line that was spouted here early and often in the early stages of CameraGate:

"Where there's smoke, there's fire."

:wacko:

Yeah, it would be pretty embarrassing. That said, I'm more concerned about the "malfunctioning" headset (which also happened to Gibbs at Foxboro last weekend :D ). The one thing that I can say with certainty is that Dungy is NOT behind any of the alleged shenanigans. I wouldn't put anything past Polian, on the other hand. He's very good at some things, but I don't think much of him as a person.

Even if there is fire, it'll be pretty difficult to prove. Methinks that Irsay and Polian get a stern warning from Goodell, but probably not much more unless somebody comes up with a smoking gun.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Below is from this link: http://coloyan.com/society/s110407.html...includes an analysis from an audio engineer of what he heard. Someone better get Oliver Stone on the horn, and fast!

"I'm a live audio engineer. This was NOT a broadcast thing. This is my perception of what happened. I posted this on the Pat's group on Usenet. This is a cut and paste.

The Colts have microphones placed in locations around the stadium. They are probably somewhere in the domed ceiling. They would be directional shotgun mics and aimed at the crowd. They would be best aimed at the top half of the seating so as not to pick up any field noise. When the opposing team is on offense and before the play starts when the QB is calling signals, the house, (Colt's), engineer turns up these mics and feeds them through the stadium's sound system. This is much better than pre-recorded crowd noise because it is a perfect audible match to the environment and there are no recordings of crowd noise to get busted with.

What happened tonight was the engineer turned up the mics too much. This caused the mics to pick up the sound eminating from the stadiums sound system, (the amplified crowd noise), as well as the natural crowd noise. The result is a feedback loop. As this loop continues to cycle through the mics and speakers oscillation occurs. This was described as the skipping sound. At this point the feedback is full bandwidth. This means that all of the frequencies being reproduced by the system were present in the loop. If you listen carefully to the recording you will hear a midrange frequency starting to become predominant. It sounded like something between 600hz and 800hz was starting to take off. At this point the engineer became aware of his error and shut off the mics. That was the abrupt drop in volume that is also on the recording on the PFT site.

If this was an accident with one of the ref's mics, field noise would have been pumped through the system such as player's voices. So I don't think that this a possibility anymore.

I'm practically positive that the Colts were up to no good. Any audio engineer with a half of brain will recognize that sound. That includes the multitude of engineers on NFL payroll. I doubt anything will come of it. It would be a massive scandal for the league's pretty boy team and a member of the CC. We'll see what Goodell is made of now. He'd have to have the stadium physically inspected and chances are that the mics are removed after any games. What is good is that Goodell and others will now be listening more intently and this may be enough to make Polian back off and stop using them. IMO the Colts are cheaters."

I was trying to formulate a joke that the crowd noise didnt skip it was actually just similar to a rap song when they hit the part that they go wicky wicky..Then I just got lazy

Well superman had come to town to see who he could rock, he blew away every kid he faced until he reached our block, his speakers were three stories high (like the Colts) with woofers made of steel.............

:D Whomp, you lead me right into that.

Edited by theeohiostate

Below is from this link: http://coloyan.com/society/s110407.html...includes an analysis from an audio engineer of what he heard. Someone better get Oliver Stone on the horn, and fast!

"I'm a live audio engineer. This was NOT a broadcast thing. This is my perception of what happened. I posted this on the Pat's group on Usenet. This is a cut and paste.

The Colts have microphones placed in locations around the stadium. They are probably somewhere in the domed ceiling. They would be directional shotgun mics and aimed at the crowd. They would be best aimed at the top half of the seating so as not to pick up any field noise. When the opposing team is on offense and before the play starts when the QB is calling signals, the house, (Colt's), engineer turns up these mics and feeds them through the stadium's sound system. This is much better than pre-recorded crowd noise because it is a perfect audible match to the environment and there are no recordings of crowd noise to get busted with.

What happened tonight was the engineer turned up the mics too much. This caused the mics to pick up the sound eminating from the stadiums sound system, (the amplified crowd noise), as well as the natural crowd noise. The result is a feedback loop. As this loop continues to cycle through the mics and speakers oscillation occurs. This was described as the skipping sound. At this point the feedback is full bandwidth. This means that all of the frequencies being reproduced by the system were present in the loop. If you listen carefully to the recording you will hear a midrange frequency starting to become predominant. It sounded like something between 600hz and 800hz was starting to take off. At this point the engineer became aware of his error and shut off the mics. That was the abrupt drop in volume that is also on the recording on the PFT site.

If this was an accident with one of the ref's mics, field noise would have been pumped through the system such as player's voices. So I don't think that this a possibility anymore.

I'm practically positive that the Colts were up to no good. Any audio engineer with a half of brain will recognize that sound. That includes the multitude of engineers on NFL payroll. I doubt anything will come of it. It would be a massive scandal for the league's pretty boy team and a member of the CC. We'll see what Goodell is made of now. He'd have to have the stadium physically inspected and chances are that the mics are removed after any games. What is good is that Goodell and others will now be listening more intently and this may be enough to make Polian back off and stop using them. IMO the Colts are cheaters."

Well I'm a sanitary engineer..............and I say that nonsense is S.H.I.T :D

I'm practically positive that the Colts were up to no good. Any audio engineer with a half of brain will recognize that sound. That includes the multitude of engineers on NFL payroll. I doubt anything will come of it. It would be a massive scandal for the league's pretty boy team and a member of the CC. We'll see what Goodell is made of now. He'd have to have the stadium physically inspected and chances are that the mics are removed after any games. What is good is that Goodell and others will now be listening more intently and this may be enough to make Polian back off and stop using them. IMO the Colts are cheaters."[/i]

Certainly sounds like the guy knows what he's talking about, but from an obviously biased source so I think I'll wait before I buy the story.

I think Swerski has it right, if this does turn out to be true I seriously doubt that Dungy has anything to do with it. Polian seems more likely to be behind something like this than Dungy.

That was not a biased analysis of what occured or anything. BTW if it was a feedback loop you would have heard a very loud high pitch ringing sound that would have been violating and very noticeable. Now that is my biased analysis of what it was not. :D

If the Colts did this, I doubt they're the first team to try this, although it would work best in dome's, I suppose. :D

Much ado about nothing, except for similar arrogance by Polian (or whoever ordered it). After the pat's got caught, you'd think teams would have decided to play by the rules, at least for the rest of this season. :D

Certainly sounds like the guy knows what he's talking about, but from an obviously biased source so I think I'll wait before I buy the story.

I think Swerski has it right, if this does turn out to be true I seriously doubt that Dungy has anything to do with it. Polian seems more likely to be behind something like this than Dungy.

You suggesting I'm the biased source? Hey, I just saw this on another board and cut & pasted. (Plus, I write non-fiction, not fiction, and couldn't have created this engineer's tech-nerd take on stadium sound if you paid me.)

And Swesrki, nice touch with your "quote" button making it look like I]/i] was the one who said/wrote that stuff, as opposed to the writer of the thing I cut and pasted (i.e the alleged sound engineer). But if it allowed you to use those funny smilies :D :D I'm all for it...not sure if that's what you were intending, but well played.

Edited by msaint

You suggesting I'm the biased source?

:wacko:

And Swesrki, nice touch with your "quote" button making it look like I]/i] was the one who said/wrote that stuff, as opposed to the writer of the thing I cut and pasted (i.e the alleged sound engineer). But if it allowed you to use those funny smilies :D :D I"m all for it...

Uh, you're barking up the wrong tree, dude. That was completely unintentional and anybody who bothered to read the thread would've known who the quote was attributed to.

Edited by Bill Swerski

If the Colts did this, I doubt they're the first team to try this, although it would work best in dome's, I suppose. :D

Much ado about nothing, except for similar arrogance by Polian (or whoever ordered it). After the pat's got caught, you'd think teams would have decided to play by the rules, at least for the rest of this season. :D

Polian is arrogant as all hell, so I wouldn't doubt that he'd do something like this. And if these allegations are true (or even if they have enough evidence to prove them), you're not going to see the Colts being docked draft picks. Despite what the tool in msaint's quote said, this isn't even close in seriousness to Belichick's library of illegally-videotaped defensive signals. It's more of an embarrassment, especially to the 55,000+ in attendance who apparently aren't up the level of those at Arrowhead or Qwest.

Polian is arrogant as all hell, so I wouldn't doubt that he'd do something like this. And if these allegations are true (or even if they have enough evidence to prove them), you're not going to see the Colts being docked draft picks. Despite what the tool in msaint's quote said, this isn't even close in seriousness to Belichick's library of illegally-videotaped defensive signals. It's more of an embarrassment, especially to the 55,000+ in attendance who apparently aren't up the level of those at Arrowhead or Qwest.

I have to agree if found true it's not a bad as spy gate, but also consider this isn't the first time the Colts have been accused of this and if proven true, we'd have to assume they've been doing it for awhile. You know as well as any, that a few false starts at key times for teams on the road could spell the difference of a win or loss in the NFL. So while it may not be the same as spy gate, the end results are an unfair advantage.

More disturbing is these are the 2 best teams in the NFL, why try to cheat to gain an advantage when you’re already the best? I'm really starting to wonder what lesser talented teams stoop to in order to gain the upper hand

I mean LT (the original) has admitted to sending whores to opposing team hotels the night before a game...........shouldn't this conduct be prohibited as well? What else is going on the NFL has turned a blind eye too?

Edited by theeohiostate

I have to agree if found true it's not a bad as spy gate, but also consider this isn't the first time the Colts have been accused of this and if proven true, we'd have to assume they've been doing it for awhile. You know as well as any, that a few false starts at key times for teams on the road could spell the difference of a win or loss in the NFL. So while it may not be the same as spy gate, the end results are an unfair advantage.

So do the Seahawks and Chiefs have an unfair homefield advantage as well? Even if their noise is 100% man-made, the end result is still the same. Should the NFL impose some sort of a decibel limit?