[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What are you listening to these days?

peteteacher2001

Carrier Dome, 10/20/84 - maybe the best Jack Straw I've ever heard

that is a good one i have it

got a new fav

Uptown Theatre

Chicago, IL

February 26, 1981

SB

isc 1 75:40

-Set I-

1. Feel Like a Stranger 09:15

2. Althea -> 08:31

3. Little Red Rooster 09:11 *

4. Bird Song 10:45 *

5. Me & My Uncle -> 02:57

6. Big River 05:41 *

7. Tennessee Jed 07:40

8. Passenger 05:00

9. Peggy-O 08:30

10.Music Never Stopped 08:10

Disc 2 56:26

-Set IIA-

1. China Cat -> 06:18

2. I Know You Rider 06:54

3. Samson 07:32

4. He's Gone -> 22:55 *

5. Drums -> 12:46

Disc 3 36:14

-Set IIB-

1. Space -> 01:32

2. Truckin -> 07:55

3. Black Peter -> 09:20 *

4. GDTRFB -> 07:33

5. Johnny B. Goode 04:32

6. E: U.S. Blues 05:22 *

there are some outstanding ones in this

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yuke, Dicks Picks 3! WHOA!

5/22/77 Pembroke Pines Florida!!! FANTASTIC

1. Funiculi Funicula

2. The Music Never Stopped

3. Sugaree Listen

4. Lazy Lightning

5. Supplication

6. Dancin' In The Streets

7. Help On The Way

8. Slipknot! Listen

9. Franklin's Tower

Disc: 2

1. Samson And Delilah

2. Sunrise

3. Estimated Prophet

4. Eyes Of The World =(Quite possibly the reason why I started a GD band after Jer died.)

5. Wharf Rat

6. Terrapin Station

7. (Walk Me Out In The) Morning Dew

John Frusciante - Shadows Collide with People

Black Sabbath - Symptom of the Universe (that damn Sabbath vs. Deep Purple argument in the Speed Metal thread got me jump started back to this one after years away)

Buckethead - various tracks of whatever I've stolen off the internet

J.S. Bach - Goldberg Variations (Glenn Gould performing)

:D

red hot mangus

+1

too kind :blush:

Sheik, Atomic turned me on to John Frusciante. Almost a complete acoustic Shadows Collide with People is available for free from Frusciante's website. It's more than awesome. Symptom of the Universe is my favorite Sabbath. I like yer taste.

WHOA!!! Big words there. Brent Mydland did bring a certain "flavor" to some certain songs. Jack Straw was one of them. I am a very very big fan of 80-81 era Dead. Nice to see that there are some heads on the board. Yukon, nice avatar btw.

Yeah, it's all subjective - I just took a look in my Deadbase and per their user survey, the one I mentioned isn't even listed among the top 24 Jack Straws ever. The #1 Jack Straw ever per that survey is 5-8-77, the famous Barton Hall show at Cornell University. But if you ever get a chance to listen to the 10-20-84 show (like right here, for example), the Jack Straw is smokin'...IMHO.

Yuke, Dicks Picks 3! WHOA!

5/22/77 Pembroke Pines Florida!!! FANTASTIC

1. Funiculi Funicula

2. The Music Never Stopped

3. Sugaree Listen

4. Lazy Lightning

5. Supplication

6. Dancin' In The Streets

7. Help On The Way

8. Slipknot! Listen

9. Franklin's Tower

Disc: 2

1. Samson And Delilah

2. Sunrise

3. Estimated Prophet

4. Eyes Of The World =(Quite possibly the reason why I started a GD band after Jer died.)

5. Wharf Rat

6. Terrapin Station

7. (Walk Me Out In The) Morning Dew

yup 3 is a good one i have up to 15....

Haven't listened to music much lately....need to take care of that..

Sheik, Atomic turned me on to John Frusciante.

Since he has been mentioned numerous times, maybe I'll have to give him a listen. RHCP have sounded so mediocre over the last 10 years...I never felt the need to give him a whirl. :D

I still think that the JayHawks Rainy Day Music is one of the best albums I've heard in the last five years....and I'm pretty sure Gilthorp is the only other guy who has given them any props on the huddle besides myself.

Anyone give the new Ween album a whirl?

Edited by bushwacked

Since he has been mentioned numerous times, maybe I'll have to give him a listen. RHCP have sounded so mediocre over the last 10 years...I never felt the need to give him a whirl. :D

The Chili Peppers have done a lot of quality work over the past 10 years, if you're willing to accept that they're a different kind of band. They were a ton of fun when the were doing the funk-pedal-to-the-metal-cocks-in-socks stuff up to Mother's Milk. Starting with By The Way, their songs are more mature, introspective and less concerned with slap bass funk techniques. Still, they can get pretty funky from time to time. Check out "Hump de Bump" on the Stadium Arcadium album for an example of them getting back to their roots.

As for John's solo stuff, his songs may not blow you away, but they're beautifully written. You really get the feeling they're very personal and private. I've never met him in person, but from all the interviews, documentaries and albums you get the feeling that he's an extrordinary person. It sounds corny, but he's got a wonderful aura.

In general, I've been on a bossa kick for a while. Old school stuff from Byrd, Gilberto, Jobim, and Getz. Newer stuff mainly from Italy (Nicola Conte).

I was listening to a ton of Elvis Costello (Armed Forces, Get Happy, Imperial Bedroom, Trust, This Years Model), but have phased out a bit on that.

Jane's Addiction Nothing's Shocking and an old friend's band Walrus have gotten plenty of run on my ipod while I'm on the bike trainer...

Doing yard work. So far my iPod has pushed out:

AC/DC - If You Want Blood

Lords of Acid - Lust

Dokken - Tooth and Nail

Nada Surf - The Weight Is A Gift

Isnt Till the living end on that ? Great guitar solo in that song

Django Reinhardt - interesting thing here is that, being a guitarist, I initially started listening to Django years ago because of his tasty guitar licks. However, more recently I have fallen in love with Staphane Grappelli's violin playing. I haven't really listened to much music with violin as a solo instrument - but Grappelli has me now wanting to learn me some violin. I can' get enough of his playful vitruosity on violin, it's something to be admired for sure.