[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Christmas Gift Etiquette

keggerz

for as long as I have been in business i have always had a PO Box...that is up until this past june...so what would be an appropriate gift for a letter carrier? Bottle of wine? or is it illegal to give them wine or gifts since they are federal employees?

for as long as I have been in business i have always had a PO Box...that is up until this past june...so what would be an appropriate gift for a letter carrier? Bottle of wine? or is it illegal to give them wine or gifts since they are federal employees?

Handgun

$20 cash is the postman's gift, as well as the sanitation guys (who probably should get more, since they are out in the elements doing some heavy lifting)....though they only come once a week, so I guess its a wash.

Also give a holiday tip/gift to the wife's hairdresser, my barber, and the kid's teacher's and sports/music insstructors...all in all, its freakin' out-of-hand

I have a job where I deliver to the customers on my route and I get sh*t.

So if the postman/garbage man feel I am giving them the short end by not giving a gift, I'm certainly open to the conversation. They wouldn't like it much, though.

So if the postman/garbage man feel I am giving them the short end by not giving a gift, I'm certainly open to the conversation. They wouldn't like it much, though.

If someone delivered beer to my house, I would definitely tip him.

Ho, Ho, Ho! Merry Christmas!

Wow...

So if the postman got a tip from every single house he went to, and he delivered to 80 houses @ $20 each, that's a cool $1,600. Not bad for a day.

I have 630 deliveries on my route if you include the businesses and made only $350 last year. Plus a bunch of cookies and goodies. I had a guy on my old route that would ask me what kind of booze I wanted. I got different chit every year.

Ho, Ho, Ho! Merry Christmas!

:D

Do ya think I'd make more if I wiped the :D look off my face and left my sidearm at home?

Just curious bro, do you walk from door to door even in the nastiest of elements, or do you drive up to each delivery in your air conditioned and heated vehicle? Are you sweating your arss off in the summertime while the neighbor's dog is getting ready to rip you a new a-hole? Didn't think so. :D

Just curious bro, do you walk from door to door even in the nastiest of elements, or do you drive up to each delivery in your air conditioned and heated vehicle? Are you sweating your arss off in the summertime while the neighbor's dog is getting ready to rip you a new a-hole? Didn't think so. :D

Hmmm; I dunno, do you take 300+ pound cartloads of product down unshoveled, unsalted stairs in winter? Do you ride in an UN-air conditioned vehicle in the summer - where it would be OK if the heat from the engine didn't rise up through the floorboards and heat the truck up to what feels like 120 degrees? Do you haul 165 pound metal objects around outdoors in thunderstorms? Do you go into a basement/cooler and put away/organize a few hundred pounds of product that is NOT yours, so that yours will fit in? Ever move 15,000 lbs worth of half-barrels by hand (well, I used a hand truck at least, so maybe that's stretching it) in one day?

EDIT - and one thing that being OUT in the weather is good for - you can dress for it. My favorite thing in the winter is the tough stops, where when you go outside, the sweat you worked up freezes on your forehead. Really makes you feel alive.

:D I'd be willing to take the Pepsi challenge with just about any job out there as far as which is physically easier. Nothing against postmen in particular, mind you - I'm a supporter of the USPS

Edited by Chavez

So, we have two or three different carriers .... not sure how to handle that? IIRC, diff't person on Mon-Thu than on Fri/Sat.

Also, does a truck w/ three garbage guys get $60? Or, $20-ish for the three?

How do you guys do it?

Our mailman drives up to each mailbox. :D

Our mailman does that too, yet he still can't manage to get here before 7pm most nights, and he regularly gives us mail from other houses. I can only imagine how much of our mail goes somewhere else.

Our guy is pretty good at getting people the right stuff at about 3:00 every day. Not the friendliest of guys. The UPS guy always goes the extra mile. :D

Hmmm; I dunno, do you take 300+ pound cartloads of product down unshoveled, unsalted stairs in winter? Do you ride in an UN-air conditioned vehicle in the summer - where it would be OK if the heat from the engine didn't rise up through the floorboards and heat the truck up to what feels like 120 degrees? Do you haul 165 pound metal objects around outdoors in thunderstorms? Do you go into a basement/cooler and put away/organize a few hundred pounds of product that is NOT yours, so that yours will fit in? Ever move 15,000 lbs worth of half-barrels by hand (well, I used a hand truck at least, so maybe that's stretching it) in one day?

EDIT - and one thing that being OUT in the weather is good for - you can dress for it. My favorite thing in the winter is the tough stops, where when you go outside, the sweat you worked up freezes on your forehead. Really makes you feel alive.

:D I'd be willing to take the Pepsi challenge with just about any job out there as far as which is physically easier. Nothing against postmen in particular, mind you - I'm a supporter of the USPS

Touche! By the way, the answer to your second part is "yes". We don't have air conditioning and the fans they put in just blow the hot air around in the summer. We also have to keep our windows closed completely when out of sight of the vehicle. Stupid rule that some dumbass came up with. Like keeping your window cracked will aid terrorists.

And those of you who complain about misdelivered mail, I feel for ya. You just have dumbass mailcarriers.

Gifts are nice(especially cash) but it's really the thought that counts. Like in Chavez's case, if a customer fixed a nice hot cup of coffee or cocoa for him in the winter, that would be cool.

And by the way, when I do recieve a Christmas gift, I make a list and send out "Thank You" cards. People really appreciate and remember that.

How's the back doing Chavez?

I'm a cheapskate. I don't tip anyone except servers and others who's income is reliant on tips. If people who earn a salary/decent wage that is not based on tip income as a supplement think that they should be entitled to something, tough. Sure I'm grateful that my mailman braves the elements in his little vehicle thingie to deliver my mail. And I don't gripe when he asks for a penny or two more every now and then for postage. And for that, he makes $35-40k probably.

A year or two ago I read an article about some of the garbage men that work for the company that has my city's trash contract. I believe that a few of them make close to 6-figures after overtime and holiday pay. Sure they are probably the exception rather then the rule. But the regular employees that don't work for the extra money also make a decent wage.