[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So what are you going to do with your $300

Rebellab

Quick Bullsh:t test here (I'll show my work):

$5.85 = minimum wage (Federal and Texas)

52 = Weeks in a year

$10,488 = Poverty threshold for a single person under 65.

$41,952 = 4x poverty level

$806.77 = 4x poverty level by week

$234.00 = 40 hours at minimum wage

$572.77 = Amount of overtime pay someone would have to earn every week to meet your figure

$8.79 = Time and a half hourly rate for overtime at minimum wage

65.16 = number of overtime hours someone would have to work to meet your figure

105.16 = total number of hours allegedly worked in a week by you

15.02 hours per day including Saturday and Sunday that you allegedly work, not including meals or breaks that a minimum wage person would not be compensated for.

Yep.

You sure are a hard working man, Perch.

Or a liar.

If you count working Sunday at triple time (normally double time, but if OT it's double time and a half = triple time) and count a 12 hour day on Sunday, then Perch would only be working 93 hours per week...

Just sayin'...

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick Bullsh:t test here (I'll show my work):

$5.85 = minimum wage (Federal and Texas)

52 = Weeks in a year

$10,488 = Poverty threshold for a single person under 65.

$41,952 = 4x poverty level

$806.77 = 4x poverty level by week

$234.00 = 40 hours at minimum wage

$572.77 = Amount of overtime pay someone would have to earn every week to meet your figure

$8.79 = Time and a half hourly rate for overtime at minimum wage

65.16 = number of overtime hours someone would have to work to meet your figure

105.16 = total number of hours allegedly worked in a week by you

15.02 hours per day including Saturday and Sunday that you allegedly work, not including meals or breaks that a minimum wage person would not be compensated for.

Yep.

You sure are a hard working man, Perch.

Or a liar.

I was wrong about the minimum wage. I thought it was $7.25 an hour but that doesn't take affect until the Summer of 2009. I just saw the $7.25 on a poster we have in our superintendents lounge, and missed the part about when it goes into effect. My calculation were based upon $7.25 x 80 hours. Still, who besides kids and part time work for minimum wage. Our lowest paid laborer makes $10.00 per hour. If that guy averages 80 hours a week like I do, he is making $52,000 a year.

I was wrong about the minimum wage. I thought it was $7.25 an hour but that doesn't take affect until the Summer of 2009. I just saw the $7.25 on a poster we have in our superintendents lounge, and missed the part about when it goes into effect. My calculation were based upon $7.25 x 80 hours. Still, who besides kids and part time work for minimum wage. Our lowest paid laborer makes $10.00 per hour. If that guy averages 80 hours a week like I do, he is making $52,000 a year.

Ok, so what you're saying is that your original statement about minimum wage is true except for the part about the minimum wage. :wacko:

Also something that I thought of after posting, is that minimum wage workers have mandated lunch and breaks which are not paid, so we'd have to add hours on top of the total hours worked for them.

And you work hard 80 hours a week yet, somehow you're posting in this thread repeatedly several times at 2:30pm on a Thursday afternoon, and are a frequent daytime poster in general, despite your "average" of 80 hours a week.

It's not that I don't believe you, but well... :D

Ok, so what you're saying is that your original statement about minimum wage is true except for the part about the minimum wage. :wacko:

Also something that I thought of after posting, is that minimum wage workers have mandated lunch and breaks which are not paid, so we'd have to add hours on top of the total hours worked for them.

And you work hard 80 hours a week yet, somehow you're posting in this thread repeatedly several times at 2:30pm on a Thursday afternoon, and are a frequent daytime poster in general, despite your "average" of 80 hours a week.

It's not that I don't believe you, but well... :D

About 50% of my job is nose to the grind stone hard work. The other 50% of my job is similar to a fireman waiting around for the alarm to go off. I do most of my nose to the grind stone type work after normal business hours so I'm not interrupted by the phone calls from people needing fires put out.

Edit to add: I assume you also work during the day. You average 50% more posts per day than I do.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

About 50% of my job is nose to the grind stone hard work. The other 50% of my job is similar to a fireman waiting around for the alarm to go off. I do most of my nose to the grind stone type work after normal business hours so I'm not interrupted by the phone calls from people needing fires put out.

So I should put the violin away? No need to compose the soundtrack for the sad plight of oppressed Perch?

I'm happy for your success, but I think your contempt for people not as fortunate as you is just stupid. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

I'll stop being snarky now.

So I should put the violin away? No need to compose the soundtrack for the sad plight of oppressed Perch?

I'm happy for your success, but I think your contempt for people not as fortunate as you is just stupid. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

I'll stop being snarky now.

I don't have contempt for people that are not as fortunate as me. I'm very fortunate, but most of my success is due to my hard work, and the work ethic my father instilled in me at a very young age. I have contempt for those that whine about being poor but don't do anything to help themselves. It isn't hard to make a good living if you are willing to work hard provided you don't have mental or physical handicaps, that is my only point. It just angers me that I do work as hard as I do, and the hours I do, and pay so much to the government who then redistributes it to those that could be doing well if they only tried. You'll never hear me say we shouldn't support those that are less fortunate because of a mental of physical handicap. But when someones only handicap is they don't want to work, then I have a great deal of contempt for them.

He's fortunate to have to work 80 hours a week in order to live comfortably? :wacko:

No.

Perch *is* fortunate that, due to being born into his family, he had the opportunity to work within an existing, successful family business. I'm 100% certain that Perch is the kind of guy who could build a successful business from scratch. But the fact is that he didn't have to. At most that means Perch's family situation let him hit the ground running, so to speak. However, folks like that still have to work their asses off *and* do a good job to keep the money coming in. Operating a profitable construction business ain't *quite* the same as siting back and collecting interest and dividends from a trust fund.

No.

Perch *is* fortunate that, due to being born into his family, he had the opportunity to work within an existing, successful family business. I'm 100% certain that Perch is the kind of guy who could build a successful business from scratch. But the fact is that he didn't have to. At most that means Perch's family situation let him hit the ground running, so to speak. However, folks like that still have to work their asses off *and* do a good job to keep the money coming in. Operating a profitable construction business ain't *quite* the same as siting back and collecting interest and dividends from a trust fund.

I see. He is fortunate in that regard.

That said, working 80 hours a week is nothing to sneeze at. I'm no stranger to the 70-hour work week and go out of my way to avoid it at all costs. It messes with my family time, my hobbies, and my sanity. I'd much rather work 50-60 hours a week and live in a smaller house and drive a crappier car. JMO.

No.

I'll agree with that. I am very fortunate, as it also gave me chance to do a lot of stuff in the field years before I would have been able to had I not been family, due to child labor laws, and risks of lawsuits. The only down side of working for a family business is the first couple of years you have a bunch of people that think the only reason you are there is because daddy gave you a job. It takes about twice as long to earn the respect of those that work around you when you are in a family business. Again I have my father to thank for forcing me to work in the field at such a young age, as it gained me the respect of those that I worked under who now work for me. The problem normally came form subs and architects, but after about a project or two, it wasn't a problem. Still as I'm sure most her can tell, it is a touchy subject for me.

The only down side of working for a family business is the first couple of years you have a bunch of people that think the only reason you are there is because daddy gave you a job. It takes about twice as long to earn the respect of those that work around you when you are in a family business.

That, and you can't sleep with the owner's daughter to help advance your career. At least not outside of West Virginia.

I don't have contempt for people that are not as fortunate as me. I'm very fortunate, but most of my success is due to my hard work, and the work ethic my father instilled in me at a very young age. I have contempt for those that whine about being poor but don't do anything to help themselves. It isn't hard to make a good living if you are willing to work hard provided you don't have mental or physical handicaps, that is my only point. It just angers me that I do work as hard as I do, and the hours I do, and pay so much to the government who then redistributes it to those that could be doing well if they only tried. You'll never hear me say we shouldn't support those that are less fortunate because of a mental of physical handicap. But when someones only handicap is they don't want to work, then I have a great deal of contempt for them.

This would be a more moving speech if it came from someone who worked their way up from nothing, rather than someone who works for a family business.

This would be a more moving speech if it came from someone who worked their way up from nothing, rather than someone who works for a family business.

I don't have contempt for people that are not as fortunate as me. I'm very fortunate, but most of my success is due to my hard work, and the work ethic my parents instilled in me at a very young age. I have contempt for those that whine about being poor but don't do anything to help themselves. It isn't hard to make a good living if you are willing to work hard provided you don't have mental or physical handicaps, that is my only point. It just angers me that I do work as hard as I do, and the hours I do, and pay so much to the government who then redistributes it to those that could be doing well if they only tried. You'll never hear me say we shouldn't support those that are less fortunate because of a mental of physical handicap. But when someones only handicap is they don't want to work, then I have a great deal of contempt for them.

Happy?

And you think that this is the case for the largest majority of people receiving Bush's Free Money Dispersement ®?

No. Totally separate issues.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with refunding taxes to people who paid them in. Just treat taxpayers equally (i.e., don't exclude taxpayers who paid in just because they paid in more than others), and don't refund any one taxpayer more cash than he or she paid to the IRS in the first place. If the goal is to stimulate the economy, fine. I'll sign a contract agreeing to spend every dime they give me. I need new tires anyways.

But that's not to say that everyone who receives Bush's Free Money Dispersement ® is lazy, or that everyone who is excluded is hard working. I wasn't painting with that broad a brush.

Edited by yo mama

I'm confused as hell here. I don't even know if I'm getting one. The calculator in the other thread would not come up for me. But if I do get a check that I did not expect to get, would spending it on a hooker in Vegas count as stimulating the economy? I don't know about the economy, but it sure as hell would be stimulating me. Should I write GW a thank you note for hooking me up with Violet?