[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So what are you going to do with your $300

Rebellab

Except that now you're paying for a bunch of other people's rebates, but not getting a rebate of any of the money you yourself paid in. So you're getting hosed from the perspective that you paid your tax to the government, but instead of the gov using it to run the country, they hand it directly back other people. It's a naked redistribution of wealth. If the gubment feels it does not need the tax revenue *I* paid to them, they should give it back to *me.* If not, I'd rather see those tax dollars I go towards building a school, veterans' benefits, etc.; not paying down someone else's credit card debt.

:wacko: NO.....NO!...this 300 bucks I am getting will save the US economy!

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that now you're paying for a bunch of other people's rebates, but not getting a rebate of any of the money you yourself paid in. So you're getting hosed from the perspective that you paid your tax to the government, but instead of the gov using it to run the country, they hand it directly back other people. It's a naked redistribution of wealth. If the gubment feels it does not need the tax revenue *I* paid to them, they should give it back to *me.* If not, I'd rather see those tax dollars I go towards building a school, veterans' benefits, etc.; not paying down someone else's credit card debt.

mother f'ing wurd +1M

This unfortunately is not true. Once the money is handed over, it is no longer yours. This is not a savings or checking account, it is a transfer to the body that we elected in order to run the country in the manner they see fit. Part of the social contract of living here is to fork over taxes in the manner from time to time prescribed by our freely elected government.

OK, that part of the rant over, here's the next part. This "rebate" is government spending just like any other government spending. It is not a rebate in the classic sense at all - it is an attempt by the government to take money from the central pile and use it in a fashion that the government believes will assist the overall economy. The intent is to stimulate spending, not "return money to it's rightful owner" - we have already seen the rightful owner is now the government. The fact that money is being sent to people directly in the hope they'll spend it should not be confused with a return of the same money that was paid in taxes.

If the reason for sending people money is for them to spend it, where's the point in sending it to people who will not spend it?

This reminds me of my mother sending me a check on my birthday (I'm 34, why the heck does she still send me money?).

But she always says 'use this for fun, not to pay bills!'. I think that congress should put that same note in our refund envelopes.

This reminds me of my mother sending me a check on my birthday (I'm 34, why the heck does she still send me money?).

But she always says 'use this for fun, not to pay bills!'. I think that congress should put that same note in our refund envelopes.

My mom does that too, I quit cashing them. That made her more pissed than me just complaining that I don't need it. She now sends cash.

I am going to pay the government $1900 on April 15 and shortly there after they are going to send me $1200 back. I consider this a tax break.

Couldn't agree more.

it's not that they didn't need your money, it's that they felt like they needed to give it to someone who deserves your money more than you do. :wacko:

seriously, i do think they should have just given the 600 bucks to everyone who paid taxes, it wouldn't have cost that much more, and it would be more reasonable to call it a "rebate" rather than a simple government welfare distribution. but, at the same time, the purpose here was not to add fairness or whatever to the tax code, it was to prime the national pump, so to speak, and to do so in the way that gets the most bang for the buck. as a one-time thing i don't have a major problem with it.

My mom does the same thing.

:wacko:

Which may have a side effect benefit of slightly slowing down the next economic disaster to hit us - mass default on unsecured loans.

Only if Savage was one of those sorts who would default on his unsecured loans.*

I'm sure THAT sort of person will spend his/her rebate check exactly as the gov't intends - on more stuff.

* - in my experience, he isn't.

I liked Glenn Beck's idea of issuing use-it-or-lose-it debit cards instead. If people stash their $600-$1200 in the bank (as many will), it doesn't exactly help stimulate the economy.

Take the cash advance off the card, then deposit the CASH in the bank.

End around for 22 yards.

The government should have just given out those sweet FEMA debit cards. The people in Beaumont spent the hell out of those things after Rita ...

:wacko:

My cousin owns a stereo and video store in Baton Rouge. He specializes in custom car and home installations. The first month FEMA started handing out the checks, cards whatever, he made twice as much money than in any month prior to that. He will probably do well thanks to the rebate checks too.