[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So what are you going to do with your $300

Rebellab

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please explain how your family is a victim of the current economy. As far as the poor me, that is not the issue. The issue is that I pay more taxes than you do, but you get a rebate and I don't. Just like the 35 million that pay no taxes getting a check. That is called welfare, which seems to ok for you.

Don't bother. There is no arguing with people that have the mindset of "You've got the money", because they believe that your wealth should be redistributed to them. It's the other America Way.

I don't need a rebate. I don't particularly care if I get one or not. But I'd rather nobody get one and those tax dollars go towards paying down the national debt that to have some people get it, but others not get it on You've Got The Money politics.

I don't need to explain myself to you in any way, shape or form. Those who have been on these boards for any length of time know the story. There's clearly nothing that would sway you from your position anyhow and I'm not into :wacko:

Czarina, I am sorry for your situation, but that does not mean I have to believe in discretionary tax rebates that further create disparity on who pays how much taxes. It's not about anyone explaining themselves.

Please explain how your family is a victim of the current economy. As far as the poor me, that is not the issue. The issue is that I pay more taxes than you do, but you get a rebate and I don't. Just like the 35 million that pay no taxes getting a check. That is called welfare, which seems to ok for you.

If you don't understand that the economic health of everyone in America affects your personal wealth, then please... elect the guy who cuts off benefits to the less-fortunate, watch the economy tank, and then watch another big check go out to stimulate the economy.

This is 125 billion to help the economy. Do you have any idea how much money was shipped in cash to Iraq and completely misplaced? How much more was thrown away to subcontractors who are padding the bills? You have a strange way of choosing what you're outraged by.

If you don't understand that the economic health of everyone in America affects your personal wealth, then please... elect the guy who cuts off benefits to the less-fortunate, watch the economy tank, and then watch another big check go out to stimulate the economy.

This is 125 billion to help the economy. Do you have any idea how much money was shipped in cash to Iraq and completely misplaced? How much more was thrown away to subcontractors who are padding the bills? You have a strange way of choosing what you're outraged by.

Another +1

Now see Nick, I'd be just fine with paying down the debt. But since the powers that be have decided on a rebate, I'm more than happy to accept mine, particularly in light of the financial situation my family is in at present. We'll be using it to pay off a credit card, since the fridge/stove we just had to buy have a 12 months no interest thing.

FWIW, my family would still have qualified for a rebate even had my situation not changed for the worse this year. My husband and I work very hard for what we have, harder now than ever before. We were pretty comfortable with our income prior to the layoff last year and even with that we were at half of the current cutoff for a rebate.

I don't need to explain myself to you in any way, shape or form. Those who have been on these boards for any length of time know the story. There's clearly nothing that would sway you from your position anyhow and I'm not into :D

Obviously you can't explain yourself. I understand. There is no way to explain that you should get my money. But since you are a "victim" :wacko: you must deserve welfare.

Obviously you can't explain yourself. I understand. There is no way to explain that you should get my money. But since you are a "victim" :wacko: you must deserve welfare.

And you're greedy, selfish and foolish. It isn't your money any more - you gave it to the government and you should understand that pretty much everything the government does with it is one form of wealth distribution or another. That's what they do. Whether it's Iraq, bridges to nowhere or grants to the arts, it's all redistribution.

The point of this "stimulus", whether you agree with the strategy or not, is to increase spending. Not saving, not investing but spending. The most likely people to spend it are those that are closer to living paycheck to paycheck. It really is that simple.

For the record, I do qualify for the rebate, barely. If I don't get it, I won't give a hoot - I don't need it. But a lot of people - and the economy apparently - do need it.

Is anyone going to invest it? :D

Depends. I don't know what my tax return is going to be and my property taxes sucked my rainy day fund down to drought-level.

I'd probably pay off a massive chunk of my consumer debt (currently about $2k, $500 of which is 0%). Tax refund (if I get one) would replenish the RDF + investments.

:wacko: Actually, my yearly life insurance premium is also due right now. Gotta get that paid as well.

Czarina, I am sorry for your situation, but that does not mean I have to believe in discretionary tax rebates that further create disparity on who pays how much taxes. It's not about anyone explaining themselves.

Not to speak for Czar in any way, but I didn't vote for the jagoff in office and his pork-barrel-by-any-other name politics.

I don't need the rebate but what sounds like an extra $1500 won't hurt the cause, that's for sure.

The point is that anyone in the 90th percentile (or so) of income at $150 k + shouldn't be whining about missing out on a measly 2-grandish.

I DO agree with you that draconian measures should be instituted to erase the national debt, but I'd say that any prominent politician running on THAT platform would be banned from any political party s/he tried to join.

Again....there is no arguing with people that use "you've got the money" logic.

Let me rephrase - if I was pulling down $150k, I wouldn't be worried about a 2k tax rebate. Your mileage may vary.

The Federal Gubment throws away more than $300 a day per taxpayer. We could give a refund check every week if it weren't for corruption and waste by the Feds. It's time for people to stand up and stop throwing away money to Iraq, Israel, Saudi Arabia, China and other sh*tholes and start keeping it in the hands of the people that pay it...Americans. F the rest of the world because they would sure f us if given the chance. Handouts to them won't help. The only thing the Federal Government should be spending money on is defense to protect us from them and not giving more welfare and help to other countries than we do our own citizens that are forced to pay these taxes with no accountability by the Feds.

Plenty of people are willing to debate you on this issue, yet you're going after the one person who admits they actually need it.

You're a classy guy.

I'm still trying to find the posts where anyone who was above the 150K cutoff was complaining except this Caddyman guy. Looks like most were saying whoopty-do oh well. :wacko:

I wish I would have started here at the end. I just read the entire thread looking for the same thing. It does not exist.

Czarina, I'm sorry to hear that things haven't completely bounced back you guys' way. Hang in there. My household has been through some lean times over the past few years and we're potentially looking at another one this summer. As I'm sure has been mentioned earlier in this thread, lots of hard-working people who make intelligent decisions and play by the rules get the shaft at times. Unfortunately, that's life. Fortunately, those times are usually temporary.

That said, while I will not refuse a free $1,200 or whatever it is, it's akin to putting a band-aid on a severed limb. It's unfortunate that this is our government's solution to dealing with predatory lending and irresponsible use of credit.

Edited by Bill Swerski

it's akin to putting a band-aid on a severed limb.

That's the sad truth. Americans get a few bucks apeice and America goes deeper in the red with little hope that the "stimulus package" will do a darn thing to reverse the economic slow down we're experiencing.

Hmmmm....6 months ago I would have used it to pay my household help for the month, but with the USD tanking and the PHP surging, $300 no longer covers it, so..........

I guess I'll buy my wife and iPod Touch. She has the 160GB Classic and has loved it, but I got a Touch when they came out and now she wants to use mine all the time.

Hmmmm....6 months ago I would have used it to pay my household help for the month, but with the USD tanking and the PHP surging, $300 no longer covers it, so..........

I guess I'll buy my wife and iPod Touch. She has the 160GB Classic and has loved it, but I got a Touch when they came out and now she wants to use mine all the time.

So yours will go to prop up the Filipino economy.

Why do you hate America?

That said, while I will not refuse a free $1,200 or whatever it is, it's akin to putting a band-aid on a severed limb. It's unfortunate that this is our government's solution to dealing with predatory lending and irresponsible use of credit.

That's the sad truth. Americans get a few bucks apeice and America goes deeper in the red with little hope that the "stimulus package" will do a darn thing to reverse the economic slow down we're experiencing.

Yep. If spending is the only thing keeping the economy alive, we are in big trouble.

Yep. If spending is the only thing keeping the economy alive, we are in big trouble.

Not only that, if spending to the tune of $600 a PERSON is going to save the economy, we're either in big trouble, or why bother?

Any way you cut it, it smacks of fishing for votes.

I thought you were Canadian... :wacko: