[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chicks who cut themselves

polksalet

I was on another forum and this guy was concerned for his fiance because she cuts herself when depressed. Yeah he isn't very smart fo rmarrying a nutbag but whay would someone do this. Is it physically manifesting some kind of internal guilt or pain or for attention or what?

I was on another forum and this guy was concerned for his fiance because she cuts herself when depressed. Yeah he isn't very smart fo rmarrying a nutbag but whay would someone do this. Is it physically manifesting some kind of internal guilt or pain or for attention or what?

Cutting oneself is sometimes seen in Borderline Personality Disorder. It can be attention seeking. If your friend's fiance has borderline personality disorder, and he is marrying her, for a wedding gift you should let him know that you've paid for his divorce attorney's retainer.

I have also seen it in girls in their teens, 20's, 30's who are in so much emotional pain that they cut themselves to "relieve" this pain. It's almost as if the physical pain takes their focus away from the emotional pain. In my experience, these girls have typically been sexually/physically abused.

Cutting oneself is sometimes seen in Borderline Personality Disorder. It can be attention seeking. If your friend's fiance has borderline personality disorder, and he is marrying her, for a wedding gift you should let him know that you've paid for his divorce attorney's retainer.

I have also seen it in girls in their teens, 20's, 30's who are in so much emotional pain that they cut themselves to "relieve" this pain. It's almost as if the physical pain takes their focus away from the emotional pain. In my experience, these girls have typically been sexually/physically abused.

I've seen this in 7th grade girls. Sex abuse is common.

Agreed. It a baffling phenomenon, really. There's an aspect to it that smacks of addiction to me, or maybe compulsion is really more appropriate. Whether it's the adrenaline rush, I'm not sure. A client of mine focused on the need to see blood, and dismissed any alternative behaviors as ridiculous in their inability to provide the same kind of release.

There's not a single reason that people do this. Unfortunately, it's become almost vogue to be 'emo' nowadays amongst the adolescent set. :wacko:

Whoa, tell her to go see the new Rambo movie. . . seriously, that's just not cool.

:wacko:

Occupational hazard. :D

Aside from the first session with her I never did ask to see her arms. I didn't want to give too much attention to it, but rather work on the stuff surrounding the craving to do it, etc.

.....in addition to these reasons... some are emotionally numb and cut to actually feel something,. sometimes the cutting leads to accidental suicide.

Agreed. It a baffling phenomenon, really. There's an aspect to it that smacks of addiction to me, or maybe compulsion is really more appropriate. Whether it's the adrenaline rush, I'm not sure. A client of mine focused on the need to see blood, and dismissed any alternative behaviors as ridiculous in their inability to provide the same kind of release.

There's not a single reason that people do this. Unfortunately, it's become almost vogue to be 'emo' nowadays amongst the adolescent set. :wacko:

I have seen this behaivor in young males as well (after seeing a friend do it). This is not a sign of only borderline, but is often a sign of depressive symptoms in other mentally disturbed individuals. They say the cutting is a way of "feeling" something and relieves anxiety and/or depression.

I was shocked when I discovered how prevalent it is in youths. I am sure I am naive about it since we certainly did not do it when I was growing up but as mentioned above, there is a class of teens now that are "emo" that I guess used to be "goth" but cutting one's self is absolutely jaw-dropping to me. It boggles my mind and if I ever found my kid doing it he would be seeing professional help within the hour.

Every generation has their methods of self-destruction but man - what will depressed kids be doing in 20 years? I have to accept there are some things I can never understand but have to accept that happen. We found out that some very nice girls that my son grew up with in California are now teen-agers that cut themselves. They come from good families. I would have never guessed.

it makes me wonder if it is harder to grow up now than when I was raised or if this is just a progressive response to the same things we all went through as youths. Very, very sad and tragic to me.

I have little to add to this other than the fact that my wife is a shrink and used to come home practically crying when she counsiled a cutter. Now she sees it so often that she barely mentions it. And she's in a private pratice, not a public health kind of thing.

I have seen this behaivor in young males as well (after seeing a friend do it). This is not a sign of only borderline, but is often a sign of depressive symptoms in other mentally disturbed individuals. They say the cutting is a way of "feeling" something and relieves anxiety and/or depression.

I've had a few female students do this, but no males yet. They usually keep their arms covered and don't want to show anyone or talk about it. I did have one student "lose it" one day. During the middle of class she ripped of her sleeves, ripped off her bandages, and raised her arms up. She then yelled, "Look what I did and I'm not a virgin either!" That broke up the day nicely. The girl had been through a ton of abuse and was just beginning to come to grips with it.

How much longer can your Huddle Hughmor& EGG keep you Sane ?............... my job just got easier today :wacko: Thanks i feel better

I hurt myself today

To see if I still feel

Focus on the pain

The only thing that's real

The needle tears a hole

The old familiar sting

Try to kill it all away

But I remember everything

-

(well, Trent Reznor, but Johnny Cash covered it)

as did Kermit

used to work at a halfway house with teenage girls that did it all the time... the worst are the eraser kids... they burn threw the skin buy rubbing an erasure on there skin.... :wacko:

yup