[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I can travel anywhere in the world for up to a month

Sugar Magnolia

For my 50th b-day and 25th wedding anniversary Mr. Sugar wants me to decide a place(s) to travel and for up to one month and he will research and plan it. We have never really done any foreign travel, having lived ours lives frugally and worked hard, so we'd someday have this opportunity. We've only been to Cozemel and the Caymen Islands. I'm not sure I'd want to be gone for an entire month-I'd miss and worry about my dogs too much, but I'd sitll consider it.

So, where should we go? We like outdoor adventure, good food, culture, history, and I like the tropics but not a must. Has anyone taken a trip with an outdoor adventure company? Has anyone been on an African Safari? New Zealand, Italy, and Greece have been on our list. I like Chile and the Patagonias, but that wouldn't be Mr. Sugar's top choice-although it's not his gift! We have a friend with a house for rent in Costa Rica.

Looking for ideas from the worldy travellers. Any and all ideas encouraged, and doesn't have to abide by the above criteria.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, where should we go? We like outdoor adventure, good food, culture, history, and I like the tropics but not a must. Has anyone taken a trip with an outdoor adventure company? Has anyone been on an African Safari? New Zealand, Italy, and Greece have been on our list. I like Chile and the Patagonias, but that wouldn't be Mr. Sugar's top choice-although it's not his gift! We have a friend with a house for rent in Costa Rica.

Looking for ideas from the worldy travellers. Any and all ideas encouraged, and doesn't have to abide by the above criteria.

A good friend of the family runs a company called Global Gypsies. They are based out of Perth Australia and run African and Australian "safaris". I could PM you thier contact info if ya need.

I'm going to New Zealand in November / December for just over 3 weeks, 25th wedding anniversary.

History - UK, Greece, Italy all have tons of it.

Something a bit different - boat trip up the Amazon - apparently fairly large cruise ships can get a long way up before you transfer to the canoe. :wacko:

Also, rather than a month, why not split it into two vacations of two weeks each? A month really begs for a multi-destination vacation.

I'm going to New Zealand in November / December for just over 3 weeks, 25th wedding anniversary.

History - UK, Greece, Italy all have tons of it.

Something a bit different - boat trip up the Amazon - apparently fairly large cruise ships can get a long way up before you transfer to the canoe. :wacko:

Also, rather than a month, why not split it into two vacations of two weeks each? A month really begs for a multi-destination vacation.

congrats upcoming for the anniversary

good to see and hear about folks married a long time

hope vacation is awesome

If you (or anyone else here) goes to New Zealand, lmk ... I am invested in a few really nice hotels there (only one is finished right now, though).

I would highly suggest a slow train trip through the alps...in other words, a day or two in this small hamlet and a day or two in this other one...etc... for a week to ten days, then maybe what DMARC suggested ... the Greek isles / Italy.

are you seeking a trekking adventure?

alps

mayan riviera- south of cancun

NZ

if not, i'd still suggest something in europe.... pick 2 home bases and branch out from there

- maybe lucerne, CH and perugia, IT

- prague and provence

also hard to imagine a trip without venice and paris

Here's my advice:

Start on the French Riviera (from Cannes, to Nice, to Monaco)... then cruise across northern Italy through Milan to Venice (ahhhhh Venice!)... then swing down through Florence to Rome (you could probably spend the entire month in Rome)... next cruise down through Naples and the island of Capri (could check out Pompeii while in the area)... then end your trip in Sicili (with maybe a quick visit to Malta).

Edited by Savage Beatings

Sugar - I have been to Europe many times, Australia for two weeks, and an african safari. I went on the African safari about two months back and did Australia about 10 years ago.

If I had my chocie and I have never been anywhere I would choose Australia and if you have a month I believe you could do Australia and New Zealand.

When I did Australia I spent most of the time in Sydney which was beautiful but I also wents up to Ciarns where the Barrier reef is (mor ethan 2 hour flight - not close to Sydney). In Cairns did a dive on the reef even though I was not certified and also did a rainforest tour. Both were amazing and highly recommended.

For Africa I did a 4 day safari and then went to Cape Town - The safari was amazing and the accomodations and meals were spectacular. We saw everything we wanted to see. The highlight of the trip was being 15 feet away from lions actaully having sex. Amazing. We also just missed seeing a leopard catch a deer - saw the chase but the deer got away. We did see a leopard who was eating a deer but did not see the kill.

I have pictures of the safari - yes - action shots of the lions and would be willing to pass along any information on both Australia and Africa.

Sugar - I have been to Europe many times, Australia for two weeks, and an african safari. I went on the African safari about two months back and did Australia about 10 years ago.

If I had my chocie and I have never been anywhere I would choose Australia and if you have a month I believe you could do Australia and New Zealand.

When I did Australia I spent most of the time in Sydney which was beautiful but I also wents up to Ciarns where the Barrier reef is (mor ethan 2 hour flight - not close to Sydney). In Cairns did a dive on the reef even though I was not certified and also did a rainforest tour. Both were amazing and highly recommended.

For Africa I did a 4 day safari and then went to Cape Town - The safari was amazing and the accomodations and meals were spectacular. We saw everything we wanted to see. The highlight of the trip was being 15 feet away from lions actaully having sex. Amazing. We also just missed seeing a leopard catch a deer - saw the chase but the deer got away. We did see a leopard who was eating a deer but did not see the kill.

I have pictures of the safari - yes - action shots of the lions and would be willing to pass along any information on both Australia and Africa.

Safari in South Africa is a good recommendation. My mother (65 yrs old) had an amazing trip recently.

I stayed at a beachfront hotel in Quepos, Costa Rica for a week. That was a mind blower. NOTE: best to go to coastal Costa Rica around New Years Day. Weather reasons mostly.

I lived in England for 6 years, so I'm partial to Europe, but it'll cost you. Italy is probably my favorite.

I grew up in Indonesia as well. Bali is a fun destination, but it is a "tourist" destination. Depends what you're looking for. There are some amazing islands out there. Lombok is one to look into, but it's grown up a lot since I was there last.

Greece is your best bet. My parents were born there so I have been there many times and 1 month is perfect vacation for Greece. You can spend your time sightseeing and/or relaxing. Greece has many historical places and many islands you can travel too. Every island is different and has its own beauty.

What time of year?

Given the timeframe of a month, I'd narrow the choice to either Europe or Asia Pac (Aust, NZ, Far East).

Europe - A trip to Greece and Italy, with stops maybe in France, Germany of Spain would give you a nice combination of rich history, culture and relaxation (depending on the time of year, relaxation (warm weather) could be had in a variety of countries.

AsiaPac - Australia/NZ already seems to be getting favorable responses. If I'd make a trip that far, I think I'd also want to spend at least a few days in China, Hong Kong or Japan.

What time of year?

Given the timeframe of a month, I'd narrow the choice to either Europe or Asia Pac (Aust, NZ, Far East).

Europe - A trip to Greece and Italy, with stops maybe in France, Germany of Spain would give you a nice combination of rich history, culture and relaxation (depending on the time of year, relaxation (warm weather) could be had in a variety of countries.

AsiaPac - Australia/NZ already seems to be getting favorable responses. If I'd make a trip that far, I think I'd also want to spend at least a few days in China, Hong Kong or Japan.

Thanks all for the great ideas. Keep em coming. Good point on the time of year-I could do 2 two week trips instead of one month long-which may be what I prefer.

If we do a month long trip it will be hard to get Mr. Sugar away during golfing season which is April-October.