[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

10 hrs in a car with a cat

Scorcher

Been on two long road trips with two different cats.

Cat #1 smashed it's way out of it's carrier within 250 yards of the start of the 230 mile trip and spent the rest of the trip under the passenger seat howling loudly.

Cat #2 we gave the sedative to right before we set off. She meowed all the way there. When we arrived, we got her out of the carrier and she promptly went to sleep for six hours - the sedative finally kicked in.

I recommend just rolling with whatever happens as long as you're prepared with carriers, cleanup kit, etc. Cats are creatures of routine but not habit - they won't always react the same way to the same set of circumstances.

In short, I recommend skipping the drugs and dealing with the cats as is. You don't know what effect they'll really have on them until they're on it, and then you're stuck in a car for 9 more hours dealing with it whether you like it or not.

+1 The last thing you want while you're driving is the sedative making your cat vomit or giving it a case of the runs. As was said earlier, they tend to shut up after a while. If possible, I'd recommend having a second person in the car to keep them company and to keep them from playing around near the brake/gas pedal.

Also, try to limit your night-time driving. During one leg of our last move, we drove from El Paso to Laguna Beach and the cats both wigged out in the heavy night-time traffic in Orange County. I'm not sure why, but the combination of lack of light and over-abundance of cars freaked them out.

During one leg of our last move, we drove from El Paso to Laguna Beach and the cats both wigged out in the heavy night-time traffic in Orange County. I'm not sure why, but the combination of lack of light and over-abundance of cars freaked them out.

Probably their eyes were adjusted to the night and the constant changes in ambient light due to powerful headlights coming and going drove them crazy contracting and dilating their pupils.

Probably their eyes were adjusted to the night and the constant changes in ambient light due to powerful headlights coming and going drove them crazy contracting and dilating their pupils.

You're probably right. Cat eyes are very sensitive to light. I remember reading somewhere that even playing with them with a laser pen can damage their vision.

Yes.... don't know the actual name of the drug, but my wife moved from CA to SD and we moved back to CA together, both times with two cats. The drug that we gave them the second time pretty much made it a non-issue. They were not "knocked out", but VERY "drowsy." We drove straight through and only had to stop to give them a pill once or twice on the way. Well worth it, after the crap (literally) that she had to deal with after the first move. Frickin' cats crapped and puked all over themselves and everything else. Cat carrier was thrown away after that trip..... :wacko:

After reading some of the other responses, let me add this.... The sedative made the cats a "non-issue" in part because they weren't in the same vehicle as we were. We drove a 24-foot moving truck and towed my wife's car behind it. The cats were in the carrier in the car, so I'm not exactly sure if they were meowing, howling, or anything like that. The important part for us was that they didn't just order the fish for goodness sake all over everything that time (with the sedative), as opposed to the first move (no drugs), when they came out smelling/looking like sewer rats. I couldn't care less whether they made any noise during the trip, since we couldn't hear them. :D

Edited by Gopher

If there is a Huddle prize for "Huddler with the longest roadtrip with a cat" I think I win. I drove my family and our cat on a cross-country move from California to Connecticut 4 years ago. No drugs were involved, and our vet advised against this for the same reasons as mentioned in the prior posts---half the time it doesn't work, and the other half they just puke it up.

We started our cat out in the carrier, and she did howl for awhile, but then she shut up. We even let her out and she sat either in the back or with my daughter. We had her litter box with us also, because we were staying in hotels, but she never used it on the road. She just waited until we stopped.

Actually, the kids were more of a pain in the ass than the cat. :wacko:

We drove for about 9 hours from Michigan to St. Louis last summer with our two cats. Our vet gladly gave us some pills for the cats as well as advice as to how many hours before we set off on our trip to give the cats the pills. (The vet also gave us advice on when to start limiting the cats' food and water intake before we set off so as to avoid messes in the car--but we made sure that the cage the cats were in was big enough to hold a litter-box (we didn't use cat-carriers, but instead bought a pretty big dog-cage that both the cats could fit into.) Overall, the trip went just fine.

Leave the cat behind or just deal with the howling. It'll last only for the trip & then it'll all be done. One thing I'd recommend though is if you let it out of the carrier while on the road then be sure to put it back in before opening your doors or it might bolt.

• 2 weeks later...

Gulp :wacko: I know that everyone has been anxiously awaiting the results of my 10 hrs with a cat. I didn't give her a sedative put her in a carrier in the back seat, put the sound system on Talk Radio, thinking people talking would soothe her, and headed out. She was great! She was so quite that I stopped at a rest stop to see if she was still back there. I drove from Durham, N.C., to Huntsville, Alabama. The drive through Tennessee was beautiful! It is a beautiful state. The drive was especially enhanced by the light show every 10 miles. ( highway patrol) Tennessee is definitely not a state for heavy footed drivers. I stopped in Chatanooga because I found a pet friendly Best Western. I put kitty in the room and went out to buy some beer. When I got back, she was no where to be found. I ran outside and called her name and was frantic! I ran into the lobby and confronted the desk clerk and exclaimed,"I went out for a while, came back to my room and my cat is gone!!!!!!!" ( I was frantic!) This "God bless her, truly southern woman" didn't miss a beat and replied,"Sweetie, you are the only one that has access to your room. Don't worry she's in there. Look behind the bed board."

I went back to the room , opened her favorite food, and out she came from behind the bed board.

I want to thank everyone who responded to my post. It's nice to have a place to go and feel that no matter what plea one makes for help, someone will reply with a serious answer, the funny ones were entertaining as well. I left an area that I had lived in for 15 yrs. and a job I had for 9 years for a new job, a new city and hopefully, new friends. Thanks for your responses. Is the Tailgate dead? I don't think so!

Gulp :D I know that everyone has been anxiously awaiting the results of my 10 hrs with a cat. I didn't give her a sedative put her in a carrier in the back seat, put the sound system on Talk Radio, thinking people talking would soothe her, and headed out. She was great! She was so quite that I stopped at a rest stop to see if she was still back there. I drove from Durham, N.C., to Huntsville, Alabama. The drive through Tennessee was beautiful! It is a beautiful state. The drive was especially enhanced by the light show every 10 miles. ( highway patrol) Tennessee is definitely not a state for heavy footed drivers. I stopped in Chatanooga because I found a pet friendly Best Western. I put kitty in the room and went out to buy some beer. When I got back, she was no where to be found. I ran outside and called her name and was frantic! I ran into the lobby and confronted the desk clerk and exclaimed,"I went out for a while, came back to my room and my cat is gone!!!!!!!" ( I was frantic!) This "God bless her, truly southern woman" didn't miss a beat and replied,"Sweetie, you are the only one that has access to your room. Don't worry she's in there. Look behind the bed board."

I went back to the room , opened her favorite food, and out she came from behind the bed board.

I want to thank everyone who responded to my post. It's nice to have a place to go and feel that no matter what plea one makes for help, someone will reply with a serious answer, the funny ones were entertaining as well. I left an area that I had lived in for 15 yrs. and a job I had for 9 years for a new job, a new city and hopefully, new friends. Thanks for your responses. Is the Tailgate dead? I don't think so!

congrats :D and good luck and God Bless

:wacko:

Gulp :D I know that everyone has been anxiously awaiting the results of my 10 hrs with a cat. I didn't give her a sedative put her in a carrier in the back seat, put the sound system on Talk Radio, thinking people talking would soothe her, and headed out. She was great! She was so quite that I stopped at a rest stop to see if she was still back there. I drove from Durham, N.C., to Huntsville, Alabama. The drive through Tennessee was beautiful! It is a beautiful state. The drive was especially enhanced by the light show every 10 miles. ( highway patrol) Tennessee is definitely not a state for heavy footed drivers. I stopped in Chatanooga because I found a pet friendly Best Western. I put kitty in the room and went out to buy some beer. When I got back, she was no where to be found. I ran outside and called her name and was frantic! I ran into the lobby and confronted the desk clerk and exclaimed,"I went out for a while, came back to my room and my cat is gone!!!!!!!" ( I was frantic!) This "God bless her, truly southern woman" didn't miss a beat and replied,"Sweetie, you are the only one that has access to your room. Don't worry she's in there. Look behind the bed board."

Congrats on the new job, the new life and the loyal cat! :wacko:

Got your PM! Answered my own question by reading this post... :D Glad to hear all went well. When we moved from Cali to Texas, we had two cats with us and it was tough - especially in motel rooms - but we got through it.

And as Soup can attest, playing kickball is a tremendous way of meeting new people. :wacko: