[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

10 hrs in a car with a cat

Scorcher

I am moving and have to drive 10 hrs. in a car with my cat. The short drive to the Vet, she meows like crazy . I have a carrier that is mid size. My cat weighs 8 lbs. I called the Vet for advice and they offered no help. I've heard of a product called Benze-something that acts as a sedative. Does anyone know this product and what the dosage should be for an 8lb cat. This is a serious post and I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

I have a ton of experience with driving long distances with cats in the car. Our present furry friend is also a meower. He will meow like crazy the first 10-15 minutes of the trip, but will eventually shut up. You might be surprised, too. If you have time, try a trial run. Drive somewhere else besides the vet, and for longer than it typically takes to get there. Also, make sure your cat has peed/pooped recently. That said, bring plenty of extra junky towels just in case he/she eliminates in the crate.

I know the sedative you're talking about (don't remember the name off-hand) and I think my wife used it on our cat once, and it didn't really do much. And as an aside, my wife (used to work at a vet's office) told me a story about a couple that was gearing up to move and gave their cat the sedative and it died pretty much instantly. Turns out the cat had a heart disorder and the sedative slowed the heart rate down even more and the cat passed away right there and then. Imagine having to drive to your new city like that... :wacko:

Anyways, I think you should try driving with the cat sans sedative. I will reiterate that you should make sure it has peed/pooped and don't feed it before you leave. They can survive awhile without eating/drinking. And if it's anything like our cat, it won't want to eat/drink while on the road.

Good luck.

Have you considered hot-boxing your car with the cat inside before departing?

And while I don't know about cats, I've given benadryl to my dogs to mellow them out on occasion.

Uh, yeah. We give Benadryl to our black lab for her itchy skin but a nice side effect is it mellows her spazzy azz out. :wacko:

I'm in the same boat as you, Scorcher, only my move later this year will be more likely around 24 hours of road time. I was thinking of having my pets shipped air to friends where I relocate. Haven't done any research on it yet, but can only guess that the cost will be prohibitive. The only way that might make sense for you to do is if your moving expenses are potentially tax deductible.

:cue for yo mama:

Edited by General Itals

I'm in the same boat as you, Scorcher, only my move later this year will be more likely around 24 hours of road time. I was thinking of having my pets shipped air to friends where I relocate. Haven't done any research on it yet, but can only guess that the cost will be prohibitive. The only way that might make sense for you to do is if your moving expenses are potentially tax deductible.

:cue for yo mama:

My move is being reimbursed for any "reasonable" cost. I thought about shipping but decided my cat would do better with me than strangers. It is tempting though to air freight her.

Edited by Scorcher

I moved with 2 cats and know your deilmma. I had a 24 hour drive. My quieter cat I put in her carrier and she just stewed for the trip, but she was also found as a stray and rolled with stuff pretty easily. Mind you, she wasn't thrilled but wasn't scarred for life either. My OTHER cat I gave a sedative to, but it doesn't knock them out. It made me feel like schit, because his eyes were half open and he kept staring at me through the carrier mewing like "not only am I in a car, but you drugged me you a-hole." In the end, I let it wear off, and actually let him OUT of the carrier just to calm him down. The last 10 hours of the trip he spent lounging on the dash board absolutely fascinated by the events outside. He loved it when a motorcycle would shoot by us and found the tunnels in the Phoenix are especially fascinating. He never liked cars before iether.

In short, I recommend skipping the drugs and dealing with the cats as is. You don't know what effect they'll really have on them until they're on it, and then you're stuck in a car for 9 more hours dealing with it whether you like it or not.

Edited by Pope Flick

I have a ton of experience with driving long distances with cats in the car. Our present furry friend is also a meower. He will meow like crazy the first 10-15 minutes of the trip, but will eventually shut up. You might be surprised, too. If you have time, try a trial run. Drive somewhere else besides the vet, and for longer than it typically takes to get there. Also, make sure your cat has peed/pooped recently. That said, bring plenty of extra junky towels just in case he/she eliminates in the crate. ...

Anyways, I think you should try driving with the cat sans sedative. I will reiterate that you should make sure it has peed/pooped and don't feed it before you leave. They can survive awhile without eating/drinking. And if it's anything like our cat, it won't want to eat/drink while on the road.

Good luck.

Good advice and take several items along that your cat likes. Try and make a home like the one he/she has at home. Sedatives often make matters worse unless they put them completely to sleep.

In short, I recommend skipping the drugs and dealing with the cats as is. You don't know what effect they'll really have on them until they're on it, and then you're stuck in a car for 9 more hours dealing with it whether you like it or not.

+1 - My wife's cat meowed in the car nonstop no matter how long the drive. My sister is a vet and got us some sedative that we tried and it only made the cat freak and the meow sound pathetic and painful. We were going to my mom's for Christmas and we ended up just leaving the cat with her. It still looks at me funny when we visit to this day!