[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Leave your manliness/macho-ness outside of this thread.

irish

After having the night I just had with my own kids and then this morning's discussion with one of my school kids, I became curious about the topic of fear. There are some things (fears- claustrophobia, etc.) that some people have that cause them to limit themselves or cause them to live life differently than other people. Now these fears can be but don't have to be like the one I mentioned above (afraid of tight spaces or heights or the dark), they can be anything.

I am both claustrophobic and afraid of extreme heights which I wasn't aware of until a couple years ago. And let me tell you, when I am put in a position where I have to deal with either, I become crazed. It's as if my adrenaline reaches its peak and I have what seems to be an outer body experience.

Several years back, before I had kids, I went to the water park in Disney called, Blizzard Beach. They have a water slide there called Summit Plummet that's about 12 stories in the air and shoot down at some ridiculous angle. You come flying down the slide at about 75 MPH and receive an Atomic wedgie (no, not the huddlers) but I digress. My friends and I (about 4 of us) decide we're going to give it a shot. So we begin our climb to the top. Let me explain that because this slide is so high up in the air, there's not much else up there and even the staircase that you climb up is like the width of a stairwell in a office building and only one person at a time can stand on the top platform along with the life guard as there isn't much room. As we get higher and higher, I start to get this strange, uneasy feeling but since I've been on my roof before, have climbed ladders been on other rides that were high in the air, I didnt think about it too much. However, I get all the way to the top and it's just about my turn and at this point I'm absolutely freaking out!! But being with my friends I didn't want to back out. They told me afterward that I was saying stuff like,"This is insane, I can't believe people do this and enjoy it! What's wrong with people!" Meanwhile I'm scaring other people who then leave theline for the slide. The life guard finally calls me up and I climb the last few stairs and am standing on top of the platform alone with her staring out at the entire state of Florida :wacko: (okay so it wasn't the whole state but it felt that way). It was one of the worst feelings in my entire life. I felt such a strong feeling of fear. I sat down in the opening to the slide and there wasn't even a lead into the down slope. You actually sat down and wrapped your legs over the edge and grabbed the bar over head and inched yourself forward before you just drop yourself off. It felt like I was committing suicide as I didn't touch anything until about halfway down when my back slapped against the slide. After it was over I felt pumped but the experience is one that I'd rather forget and have never gone through since.

So, what are some fears that you have that cause you to limit your activities, stop you from doing something or cause you to not attempt doing something altogether? Have you ever tried to address those fears head on to overcome them? How and what happened?

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before. I did a search and didn't find anything but I thought that it must've been covered. If it was covered that's fine but Im sure some haven't seen it and may want to read up and/or add something.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know what you would call it, but I've always had a fear of eye damage, or things touching or poking my eyes. I wear glasses, and while I hate them I can not stand putting contacts in, it just freaks me out. I'd love to get laser surgery on my eyes, if only they could put me to sleep to do it, but I just don't think I could do it awake, even if I was heavily sedated. For some reason, I don't know why but I've always had a fear of getting a paper cut on my eye. It has never happened, but if paper is waving around near my face, it really bothers me. I don't freak out, or anything, but it makes me very uncomfortable.

The only other fear I have is fear of failure, but I think it is a healthy fear, as it drives me to do my best, and has probably made me more successful than I otherwise would have been.

white sharks and ledges with nothing to hold onto..... i don't mind heights as long as i have some form of control.... skiing..no probs dropping into a bowl, handrails on a high mountain side...... unprotected ledges gets the heartrate up

My biggest fear now (I have only really thought about it the past few years) is dying young. Its not so much the dying part of it that gets me as much as it is the idea of not being able to see my kids grow up.

the Larvae infested nipple...

I saw a pic of a breast with a bunch of larvae on it and it has haunted me ever since...

That's just gross!

Don't know what you would call it, but I've always had a fear of eye damage, or things touching or poking my eyes. I wear glasses, and while I hate them I can not stand putting contacts in, it just freaks me out. I'd love to get laser surgery on my eyes, if only they could put me to sleep to do it, but I just don't think I could do it awake, even if I was heavily sedated. For some reason, I don't know why but I've always had a fear of getting a paper cut on my eye. It has never happened, but if paper is waving around near my face, it really bothers me. I don't freak out, or anything, but it makes me very uncomfortable.

The only other fear I have is fear of failure, but I think it is a healthy fear, as it drives me to do my best, and has probably made me more successful than I otherwise would have been.

This is a perfect example of what I'm looking for. Odd fears that people have that most people would not. This is exactly what I went through with my kids last night and today in school. They expressed fears they had that I don't have, can't understand but had to help them through nonetheless.

Great stuff Perch! The fear of failure thing is most likely a common one, however, the degree to which people have it most definitely varies greatly. Yours is probably more intense than the average person's and definitely greater than a homeless person's.

Edited by irish

white sharks and ledges with nothing to hold onto..... i don't mind heights as long as i have some form of control.... skiing..no probs dropping into a bowl, handrails on a high mountain side...... unprotected ledges gets the heartrate up

Now that I think about it, this may have been my problem with going on that water slide. :wacko:

My biggest fear now (I have only really thought about it the past few years) is dying young. Its not so much the dying part of it that gets me as much as it is the idea of not being able to see my kids grow up.

When I was a kid death was probably my biggest fear. And not only my own, I used to be afraid that when I'd wake up in the morning,someone close to me would have died sometime during the night. I used to wake up during the night crying and go searching through the house just to talk to my mother, etc. to make sure they were still alive.

I never really knew fear until my son was born. Now my only real fear is losing him (and sometimes I now fear my own death, but only in that it would leave him without a Father).

I guess sometimes in large crowds I get claustrophobic, but that's not really a fear... it's just kind of a freak out, give me some elbow room now! kind of a deal.

try seeing a pic of it on a website....someone tricked me before :wacko: and I clicked the link...

the image stuck with me the entire next day at work and I couldn't look at a breast anymore...

Sorry to hear that as that's a big problem. Yet another great example of a fear you've developed that has caused you to live life differently then most other people.

Spiders and Big bugs. I hate them all. When the summer comes around and a spider or cricket shows up in my house and the kids scream for me I get rid of the bug but my kids have no idea how chit scared I am :D I have a vivid memory when I was a kid. Probably under 10 years old. I had an itch on my neck . When I reached back to scratch it there was something on my neck. I grabbed it and when I looked at it it was a giant bumble bee. I was petrified. I was having lunch with a friend at work a few years back at a deli in the city and a hugh roach fell right out of the drop cieling onto our table. :wacko:

Edited by whomper

ledges with nothing to hold onto..... i don't mind heights as long as i have some form of control.... skiing..no probs dropping into a bowl, handrails on a high mountain side...... unprotected ledges gets the heart rate up

Same here exactly. Also I am uncomfortable with crowded spaces. Not claustrophobic, but heavily populated tight spaces. I also can't piss when some a-hole is standing behind me waiting or discussing the weather while I'm at the urinal. :wacko:

I try to face my fears as much as possible and refuse to avoid them. When I face them I always win out, but it never dampens the fear.

Edited by rajncajn

flying. and flying out of nyc monday night was the worst take off of my life. i made some promises to god that i wont be able to keep.

When I went on my senior trip in H.S. we flew down to Florida and went to Disney. I had a girl in my senior class named Diana who was petrified of flying and on the way home we flew into Newark airport in an winter storm. The plane was shaking like crazy and was dropping to the point that you get that sick stomach feeling. The poor girl dug her nails into the sit cushions and cried all the way in. Everyone tried to talk to her and help her out but she out of control.

I never really knew fear until my son was born. Now my only real fear is losing him (and sometimes I now fear my own death, but only in that it would leave him without a Father).

I guess sometimes in large crowds I get claustrophobic, but that's not really a fear... it's just kind of a freak out, give me some elbow room now! kind of a deal.

That's completely natural and something I think any normal parent goes through. I know my mother used to think that she'd never make it to see her children get married or see any grandchildren. Boy, were we both happy that both of those fears were put to rest.

Edited by irish

Spiders and Big bugs. I hate them all. When the summer comes around and a spider or cricket shows up in my house and the kids scream for me I get rid of the bug but my kids have no idea how chit scared I am :D I have a vivid memory when I was a kid. Probably under 10 years old. I had an itch on my neck . When I reached back to scratch it there was something on my neck. I grabbed it and when I looked at it it was a giant bumble bee. I was petrified. I was having lunch with a friend at work a few years back at a deli in the city and a hugh roach fell right out of the drop cieling onto our table. :wacko:

Another one was last summer. I let my dog back in the house from my yard and I went to give her a treat and she refused it. This never happens. I tried again and she moved her head. Then I noticed she had something in her mouth. I reached my hand in to get it and pulled it out. It was a hugh buzzing seceda (sp)

I think every good parent shares that fear... and I'm the exact same way in crowds.

In a span of 6 months I experienced 9/11 up close and a VERY rough cross country flight (I'm talking the kind where everyone was white knuckled, crying and praying). I haven't been comfortable with flying ever since. I have a special stash of Valium that I keep for flying, but the truth is I just avoid airplanes as much as possible.

There's a good chance the Shiekette and I will be going to Seattle later this year. We're going to drive. I'm masking my fear of flying as a chance to see all the ballparks between here and there. Seeing the Royals play is still better than getting on a plane. . .that's how bad I am.

Edited by SheikYerbuti

Yeah, I do have the same fear as far as me losing them too.

I'm scared of sharks and any other marine animal that might bite me.

I also am scared of choking (which has to do with some esophagus problems I have had in recent years).

I'm also scared that I will be a bad parent.

And finally, I am most scared that when people die that is it (and that there is no afterlife of some sort).