[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mace/Pepper Spray, anyone's spouse carry it?

Big Country

So, do any of you or your wife's carry mace or pepper spray? What can you al ltell me about it? Effective? No accidental discharges?

Here is why I ask:

This past weekend (one I would like to soon forget for many reasons including my dumb dog eating a large bag of Hershey Kisses, wrappers and all, my wife getting hit with the flu and me getting knocked the f out by the flu and sinus infection) while I was at the emergency vet with my not so bright dog, my wife went to the local park, where she goes several times a week with our boys (ages 3 1/2 and 10 months) and met up with some friends of hers (also with children of similar ages). Anyway, upon arriving, she noticed a suspicious looking man. He was wearing a hoody, had a backpack and was just staring at the little kids in the park. Now, this is a rather large park with several play areas, a small lake and multiple entrances and exits. My wife and her friends called the non-emergency police number to report him, saying he had done nothing but was creeping them out. He was keeping his distance from my wife and her friends but was certainly eyeballing the kids, and also the other kids in the park. Just basically an unnerving situation.

As my wife started walking out of the park, she saw the cops arresting the gentleman. Now, granted, he could possiblky have just had drugs or some outstanding warrant, but my mind of course is jumping to him being a pedophile of epic proportions. So of course my mind is also racing to what could have happened if my wife hadn't noticed this guy or if he had approached and tried to snag one of my sons or something.

I am seriously contemplating getting my wife some pepper spray or mace to carry with her just in case. Just wanted to get some info on it or find out if I am overreacting to the situation.

Thoughts?

You can never be too rich or too careful. I think it's a smart idea.

The Shiekette and I ride our bicycles on a bike trail about a mile from our house. It's about as safe as you could imagine. I've never seen a suspicious looking person on it ever. I NEVER let her ride it alone. Some things are too important to risk.

So, do any of you or your wife's carry mace or pepper spray? What can you al ltell me about it? Effective? No accidental discharges?

Here is why I ask:

This past weekend (one I would like to soon forget for many reasons including my dumb dog eating a large bag of Hershey Kisses, wrappers and all, my wife getting hit with the flu and me getting knocked the f out by the flu and sinus infection) while I was at the emergency vet with my not so bright dog, my wife went to the local park, where she goes several times a week with our boys (ages 3 1/2 and 10 months) and met up with some friends of hers (also with children of similar ages). Anyway, upon arriving, she noticed a suspicious looking man. He was wearing a hoody, had a backpack and was just staring at the little kids in the park. Now, this is a rather large park with several play areas, a small lake and multiple entrances and exits. My wife and her friends called the non-emergency police number to report him, saying he had done nothing but was creeping them out. He was keeping his distance from my wife and her friends but was certainly eyeballing the kids, and also the other kids in the park. Just basically an unnerving situation.

As my wife started walking out of the park, she saw the cops arresting the gentleman. Now, granted, he could possiblky have just had drugs or some outstanding warrant, but my mind of course is jumping to him being a pedophile of epic proportions. So of course my mind is also racing to what could have happened if my wife hadn't noticed this guy or if he had approached and tried to snag one of my sons or something.

I am seriously contemplating getting my wife some pepper spray or mace to carry with her just in case. Just wanted to get some info on it or find out if I am overreacting to the situation.

Thoughts?

gun??

screw that, get her a f'n wolf shirt.

:wacko:

Seriously though, mace would probably help deter someone if they were to try something. But a wary parent like her is what is most important. I've gone to the park before & have seen parents just completely ignore their kids or even take a nap while they played.

Pepper spray is very effective defense weapon. I think that you should encourage your wife to carry it.

The most popular styles are foggers and streams. Each has its advantages. I like the fogger models, because you do not need precise aim, which can be difficult for most persons in a stressful situation. You can engage multiple attackers more easily. You can even spray a defensive fog between you and an attacker. (Most people aren't going to be too excited about running though a cloud of pepper spray.). The main disadvantage occurs in windy conditions, particularly if it blows back at you.

Streams have greater range and are less effected by the wind. Your pretty much going to need a face shot, so accuracy is important.

You're going to want to get as high of a concentration of oleoresin capsicum as your state allows. Check the law.

EDIT: I almost forgot. Anyone going to carry pepper spray should attend a training class. The guys at your local gun store probably know of a place.

Edited by Furd

I am pretty sure that in California, you cannot even buy mace without being licensed to do so by taking a class and such. She could look into that but in California, I do not believe you can just buy mace and it is illegal to carry unless you have taken the classes and have a card-carrying right to possess it.

Tasers work pretty good in those situations too, though...

I don't know if I have ever admitted this here but my wife carries a Smith 44 mag double action in her car. When she goes on road trips to KC, or Dallas or wherever she has been known to carry my SKS as well. However for space sake I think she is going to get a tazer and/or a can of bear spray.

I don't know if I have ever admitted this here but my wife carries a Smith 44 mag double action in her car. When she goes on road trips to KC, or Dallas or wherever she has been known to carry my SKS as well. However for space sake I think she is going to get a tazer and/or a can of bear spray.

I've been thinking of replacing the Shiekette's right leg with a machine gun. I got the idea from some Tarantino piece of crap movie.