[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bootsie update

TimC

Bootsie and Chalkie are my 13-year old black lab sisters for anyone that doesn't know. We've had 5 wild turkeys (the animal, not the drink) coming right up to the house the past few days. We've gone out on the porch when they come around and they don't seem too worried about people. The dogs go crazy insane inside the house so (Sunday night) I did what any red-blooded American male would do....I open the door and say "git 'em!". They haul ass down the stairs and turkeys go flying everywhere. Did you know turkeys can fly like 10 feet? One ends up on my porch roof. There is mass gobbling, turkey crap everywhere, dogs peeing, mass mayhem. I call the dogs off. There is a stare-down. The only thing separating them is the driveway. 4 turkeys versus two scared to death black labs that have never hunted or chased anything further than 10 feet in their life. The turkeys are gobbling, the dogs are panting. It's an ugly mess. Finally the 5th turkey flies off the porch roof and joins his other turkey friends. This breaks the tension. I call the dogs back in the house. Bootsie is limping slightly. She'll be fine the next hour after a big meal of Pedigree Country Stew with gravy.

Turkeys 1 Bootsie 0 Chalkie .5 (tie)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wacko:

For us it's squirrels. For some reason, my dogs have learned that opening the blinds means, "THERE'S A SQUIRREL OUTSIDE!!!! GO! GO! GO!". It's so funny. They can be passed out in their beds and hear the sound and they're up with a start, barreling towards the dog door and into the back yard.

Alex, the older and somewhat dumber of the two, will often stand guard on our back patio. Staring intently at the bird feeder that is usually what brings the squirrels out. She can sit there for an hour in a crouched and ready position.

I did what any red-blooded American male would do....I open the door and say "git 'em!".

I send my 2 Weims after anything from deer to chipmunks to Mexican laborers, the only thing they've managed to catch so far are rabbits and chipmunks.

At the end of last year we got a cockatiel. We brought him in the house and put his cage on the table. The next thing you know my wife is yelling at me because she thinks I whacked my dogs. I asked her what the hell she was talking about . She said I thought you yelled at them because they are both cowering in the corner by the backdoor. I assume if a caged Cockatiel scared the bejesus out of my dogs wild turkeys would go old school Roy Jones taunting on their asses..

:D dont lwt them 2 close those big toms will kick there arse

I concur. A big tom has spurs that can cut the Athenae out of you. They prefer to run (or fly) away but if forced to they are ferorcious fighters. Your girls did good. I, on the other hand, would be eating turkey breast sandwiches forthe next few days if turkeys invaded my yard like that. Mr. Remington would solve that infestation. :wacko:

Edited by The Holy Roller

• 3 months later...

Gawd-danged country living. This morning there was a raving gang of about 7 guinea hens running around the front yard. I never saw 'em. I let the dogs out to go to the bathroom and Bootsie and Chalkie immediately go after them. Now Chalkie is smart and surveys the situation. Not so with Bootsie, who sees no problems going right into the middle of them. Now apparently, Guinea Hens have no fear of black labs and quite enjoy circling them to attack. Bootsie never stood a chance. There was some weird noise and feather and fur flying everywhere. Even the f'n one-legged hen was kicking her with it's one good leg. Gawd danged embarrassing. I ran out to save her and Bootsie knew she'd been bested. Even Chalkie laughed at her and called her dumbass. I gave her a chew bone and told her it's a cold, cruel world out there. She understands.

I send my 2 Weims after anything from deer to chipmunks to Mexican laborers, the only thing they've managed to catch so far are rabbits and chipmunks.

A friend of mine lives in a rural area and lets his Weim off the leash on walks. She came back crying the other day and her face swelled up like a balloon. Vet says snake bite, probably copperhead. I think she's ok though.

The squirrels in my yard taunt my dog. I've seen it. They get onto a low branch and jump up and down right in his face. Stuipid squirrels.

He got one once, though. That thing was dead in a second. Yikes. Scared the hell out of me.

A friend of mine lives in a rural area and lets his Weim off the leash on walks. She came back crying the other day and her face swelled up like a balloon. Vet says snake bite, probably copperhead. I think she's ok though.

Yeah, Weims are smart and stubborn, but their curiousity can get them in trouble some times. :wacko:

Gawd-danged country living. This morning there was a raving gang of about 7 guinea hens running around the front yard. I never saw 'em. I let the dogs out to go to the bathroom and Bootsie and Chalkie immediately go after them. Now Chalkie is smart and surveys the situation. Not so with Bootsie, who sees no problems going right into the middle of them. Now apparently, Guinea Hens have no fear of black labs and quite enjoy circling them to attack. Bootsie never stood a chance. There was some weird noise and feather and fur flying everywhere. Even the f'n one-legged hen was kicking her with it's one good leg. Gawd danged embarrassing. I ran out to save her and Bootsie knew she'd been bested. Even Chalkie laughed at her and called her dumbass. I gave her a chew bone and told her it's a cold, cruel world out there. She understands.

See what happens when you mess with the Guineas

You need to revoke Bootsie's Labrador Retriever union card. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately we knew the time was coming for awhile with her hip dysplasia. Bootsie had been growing worse over the past few months. Last night, we got home from dinner and she could no longer move her back legs so we went ahead and put her down so she would no longer suffer. It was peaceful and she's in dog heaven all better and suffering no longer.

She was the best dog anyone could ever ask for in the world. We got her (and her sister, Chalkie, who is doing fine) from the pound at 6 weeks old when we built our first house back in '94. She loved to lay up in the recliner with me and sleep on my shoulder. I would come home and she'd be up in that recliner just chilling. On the nicer weather days when I'd leave them outside at work, we backed up to a horse ranch, and they'd just run after the horses all day playing. I threw in the dirt path along the back fenceline for free to the person who bought the house. When we built the house in '06, Bootsie and Chalkie were pretty much inside dogs by then. They could get ornery if you didn't open the door for them too quickly to come back inside. They did love the space out here and loved running around the field. Of course, both were good always keeping the grass fertilized.

I'll miss you Bootsie.

Edited by TimC