[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

F'd up work situation

whomper

My best friend that I have known since I am about 7 used to work at my company for about 7 years. Late last year he was let go and ended up at a direct competitor. We still talk every day and have lunch a few times a week. We do discuss business but we dont usually say anything that will cause our companies any harm. I have been complaining about how this one account that I used to do very big business with has dried up on me a little.

There are certain laces that are market patterns that my competitors and I have exact. There are a few numbers that I have sampled this particular account on that I see made their line but I didnt get the business on it. When I questioned the purchasing people they said they ordered off of the cost sheets . This happened to me on 2 numbers. I still do decent business with them on other things. Long story short my friend tells me today in severe strict confidence that his boss who is a real cocky monster truck aficionado has a woman up there that I actually know and am friendly with too that lets him go into their computer and take my name out on certain market numbers and put his company name in. Meantime I have been getting pretty pissed at some people up there for losing some business and they look at me like I am nuts. I dont know if orders are placed sometimes unless I see it on someones desk or see it in a store.

The problem is my friend will get fired if I made a stink up there. His boss will absolutely 100% know it was him that told me and he will lose his job. I can/would never do that to the guy but in the meantime it puts me in a very difficult position with the account. I am not going to sample them basics and run around like a doosh hand delivering samples while this plug headed fine upstanding young man simply deletes my name from the cost sheet while this other F looks the other way. What would you guys do ?

Edited by DMD

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to get your best friend re-hired? With his knowledge of your competitor he might be more valuable now than he was when he was let go.

Edited by Controller

Try to work around the woman who is allowing the name change to occur?

Impossible. She is the desk it ends up on before it goes to production.

make a stink

Cant get this guy fired

Is it possible to get your best friend re-hired? With his knowledge of your competitor he might be more valuable now than he was when he was let go.

They wont rehire him

Tough call... talk to your friend more and see what he's ok with.

I swore on my kids I wouldnt sell him out

Have some valuable items delivered to the home of the woman that are "gifts" from the sales guy in question. Then somehow "discover" the misdeed and get both of them fired, or at least it will put a stop to their shenanigans.

E.g. if your buddy can get on the sales guy's computer, he can pull up fedex.com, prepare a shipment to the woman and send the items to her. It will all be traceable to the sales guy. When she receives the fedex package, she will have to sign for the shipment.

Edited by Controller

Cant get this guy fired

i hear ya. but you have to worry about the people you come home to every night. is it a big amount of money you are missing out on? why would the guy tell you this knowing the only solutions for you would be to either to just suck it or make a stink and get him canned?

poopyty situation

It's time to get dirty... find a way to make every day at work absolutely miserable for the bitch that is doing this to you. You obviously have to be very sneaky about it though. Think of it this way, she is messing with your career, which means that she is messing with the safety and the security of your family. Do whatver it takes to protect your career and your family (without compromising your friend of course). You need to force this woman out. I'm quite serious.

Do you really like your kids?

Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be much you can do.

There really isnt as far as those market patterns I lost out on. I still do business on other things with them so i cant completely walk from them. 99% of the people up there are good people. This guy irks me because he is all about stealing orders. I know the business world isnt Candy land and I have swiped orders in my day too but he calls all the purchasing people and blatantly asks what they are running with us and if they can give it to them. he lowballs. Most people we talk to think hes a monster truck aficionado and tell us he asks for our business all the time. A great percentage of purchasing people get turned off by that but there are a few that may swing it his way. We have suspicions he shells out and some people are on the take.

i hear ya. but you have to worry about the people you come home to every night. is it a big amount of money you are missing out on? why would the guy tell you this knowing the only solutions for you would be to either to just suck it or make a stink and get him canned?

poopyty situation

I hear you. He told me so I stop running around on these items like an idiot when in essence I am sampling for this guy. The owners of the company she works for like me a lot but they give orders to the people that sample the goods which is admirable in my industry and something we want to happen. In this case they are giving the business to the wrong guy. They are a big dress company so I am sure the orders have added up. I know what you are saying about worrying about the people I come home to every night but I also have to respect my friend. I may be forced to break out the horns. The next time I see this guy I might give him the horns. My horns are lethal

Hit the purchasing people. If they know ahead of time (prior to seeing the cost sheets) what your prices are, then THEY may raise questions when someone else's name ends up on the cost sheet. If they could choose between someone who is a good guy (to them) and a slimeball corksoaker...

Honestly, I think you have to be loyal to your friend. It is a tough situation, but, you can't let a business issue affect a long friendship, which, in my mind, is more valuable.

The problem is my friend will get fired if I made a stink up there. His boss will absolutely 100% know it was him that told me and he will lose his job. I can/would never do that to the guy but in the meantime it puts me in a very difficult position with the account. I am not going to sample them basics and run around like a doosh hand delivering samples while this plug headed fine upstanding young man simply deletes my name from the cost sheet while this other F looks the other way. What would you guys do ?

Never f with someone's livelihood. If he's your friend, he'll understand and get over it eventually. In the meantime, you've got info that fixes a wrong, you should fix it.

I like Controller's idea. If this guy is such a sleezeball, then ruining his reputation and the reputation of this woman is absolutely within bounds.