[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mom arrested tor leaving infant in hot car...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious if anybody knows how the laws really work.

What if she had left the kid in a stroller outside the store in the shade? Would that be considered child abuse?

No, that would be considered neglect.

Hey CN -

I just read an article recently where "playing devil's advocate" for the sake of arguing is a sign of depression in men.

Have you been to a shrink lately?

May want to get that checked out.

Ha. Funny, I sent him an AIM expressing similar thoughts earlier.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Most children of single digit ages could quickly come up against circumstances that they could not handle in nothing more than a few moments.

Either way, I don't want to be overly nit-picky. I think I made my point that Aggravated Child Abuse might not actually fit the action, and probably doesn't. At least it makes sense to me.

Which is exactly why they shouldnt be left alone. i think your issue is more so with the wording of the charge. Its just legal mumbo jumbo

I think it goes beyond just wording.

A woman left her infant in her car parked 20 feet away while she took her older daughter to drop some coins in the Salvation Army collection basket cuz the older child wanted to. Then she walked back to her car only to find a cop who arrested her.

he charges were dismissed, but only after the family spend a lot of money, time and frustration fighting the arrest.

(It was last holiday season and I can't remember any keywords to bother googling for it)

The story was posted here not too long ago.

Which is exactly why they shouldnt be left alone. i think your issue is more so with the wording of the charge. Its just legal mumbo jumbo

I am clearly saying I think what she did was wrong. The child should not have been left alone.

I am also saying that felony Aggravated Child Abuse seems to be a bit past the mark, at least in so far as can be discerned from the article that was posted. And I am 100% in favor of misdemeanor Child Neglect, an maybe 100 or so hours of community service to reflect on her behavior of neglecting her child.

I don't know the specifics of it, but a felony child abuse conviction would probably result in the children being taken away an put in foster care on top of significant jail time for this woman. Maybe she could look forward to supervised visitation rights after jail. I may be shoveling poo against the tide, but that punishment does not fit this crime in my book.

I think it goes beyond just wording.

A woman left her infant in her car parked 20 feet away while she took her older daughter to drop some coins in the Salvation Army collection basket cuz the older child wanted to. Then she walked back to her car only to find a cop who arrested her.

he charges were dismissed, but only after the family spend a lot of money, time and frustration fighting the arrest.

(It was last holiday season and I can't remember any keywords to bother googling for it)

:wacko: Exactly the perspective I was looking for. Less negligent, and probably not arrest worthy, but still negligent to a point.

This current article points to something in between this and Aggravated Child Abuse in my mind.

Hey CN -

I just read an article recently where "playing devil's advocate" for the sake of arguing is a sign of depression in men.

Have you been to a shrink lately?

May want to get that checked out.

:wacko: It must have started with my getting in trouble for correcting my third grade teacher when she told the class that Delaware was the smallest state, and then having her make me look it up in front of the class to make me look foolish. Then I got punished for being right and helping her to not mislead the other children in her geography lesson.

:wacko: It must have started with my getting in trouble for correcting my third grade teacher when she told the class that Delaware was the smallest state, and then having her make me look it up in front of the class to make me look foolish. Then I got punished for being right and helping her to not mislead the other children in her geography lesson.

Once had a teacher trying to tell us that Greenland was a continent. Got in trouble for "correcting the teacher". :D

I am clearly saying I think what she did was wrong. The child should not have been left alone.

I am also saying that felony Aggravated Child Abuse seems to be a bit past the mark, at least in so far as can be discerned from the article that was posted. And I am 100% in favor of misdemeanor Child Neglect, an maybe 100 or so hours of community service to reflect on her behavior of neglecting her child.

I don't know the specifics of it, but a felony child abuse conviction would probably result in the children being taken away an put in foster care on top of significant jail time for this woman. Maybe she could look forward to supervised visitation rights after jail. I may be shoveling poo against the tide, but that punishment does not fit this crime in my book.

This kids age and the amount of time she left the kid plays big in the charge I would assume. Lordpies example the timeframe was a 20 ft walk. That is excessive for her to be severely charged. You are latching on to short term absence examples and trying to apply that charge to what this woman is charged with. You may be right in some cases that the punishment doesnt fit the crime but how many times have you heard a story of heinous abuse and then you read in the paper Child services visited that family many times and people say why didnt child srvices do their job before tragedy struck. A person who leaves a 2 year old in a car alone in a parking lot for 15 minutes deserves some serious investigating IMO

This kids age and the amount of time she left the kid plays big in the charge I would assume. Lordpies example the timeframe was a 20 ft walk. That is excessive for her to be severely charged. You are latching on to short term absence examples and trying to apply that charge to what this woman is charged with. You may be right in some cases that the punishment doesnt fit the crime but how many times have you heard a story of heinous abuse and then you read in the paper Child services visited that family many times and people say why didnt child srvices do their job before tragedy struck. A person who leaves a 2 year old in a car alone in a parking lot for 15 minutes deserves some serious investigating IMO

I think that those child service situations you reference are terrible. If a child is judged to be in danger, they should be removed. But then it is a scary thought to start punishing people for crimes we think they are going to commit.

And she certainly does deserve some serious investigating.

1) She definitely should have not done what she did. It was brainless, neglectful, a poor choice, and the wrong thing to do.

2) I have no issue with the involvment of authorities, in particular child services to help determine if this woman has a pattern of dangerously neglectful behavior

3) If punishment is deserved based on the act and any ensuing investigation, I am all for it.

I remember back in 1978 when child services came for me. The fertilizer from their decomposing bodies buried in the backyard made for good tomatoes the next year. At least I think they were good. I was never allowed to eat tomatoes.

I think what most of you are missing in the story is that the child in question was NOT two years old--the child was actually 6.**

**weeks old. (You see how that changes things?)

I think what most of you are missing in the story is that the child in question was NOT two years old--the child was actually 6.**

**weeks old. (You see how that changes things?)

Regardless, the child was helpless. I didn't notice the kid was 6 weeks though.

I'm thinking about hooking up a night-vision webcam so we can watch him too, mostly cuz I'm a bit geeky.

Spying on a 6 week old, seems like a good plan. Make sure you get that chip inserted under his skin as well so you can follow him on a GPS when he gets a little older.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

What's the big deal?

A six-month-old child can't walk away or roll down a window for a stranger. The child was safe inside the car. Moreover, the warmth in the car was probably very similar to being in the womb and thus this infant was likely feeling very soothed.

In addition to that, i'm in the process of designing a blood sampler that'll hook up to the GPS so when he starts doing drugs, I'll know when it gets to dangerous levels and can intervene.

Excellent, and make sure to get him tattooed with a bar-code as well. It hurts less when you do it at this age.

What's the big deal?

A six-month-old child can't walk away or roll down a window for a stranger. The child was safe inside the car. Moreover, the warmth in the car was probably very similar to being in the womb and thus this infant was likely feeling very soothed.

Dad?

This qualifies as news? Or is it merely the kickoff of the annual "Over-reporting on Random Particular Incidents Out of the Tens of Thousands of Times This Happens" for kids left in hot cars, and largely symbolic?