[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone watching "The Alaskan Experiment"?

cliaz

I caught one of the showings and thought it was pretty cool. I started recording the series. Basically, if you haven't seen or heard of it - its a reality show where four groups of people are put in different locations in Alaska towards the end of summer and they have to work together to survive the winter. The show doesn't really pull any punches with the harsh reality of the land, they need to hunt game to get protein to survive the winter and so far only two groups have bagged a kill. One of the groups couldn't find anything but stumbled on a corpse of a moose that appeared to have been eaten by a bear. So they cut the useful meat off of the corpse.

On another show, the salmon run was coming to an end and one group didn't manage to catch enough fish to survive the winter months so they need to go out hunting for moose. Its a chick/dude - husband/wife group. They spent like five days hiking through Alaska tracking a Moose only to come up empty handed.

I'm digging this show. They have survival experts with them when they go hunting to make sure they are safe but other than that, they receive no help. The husband/wife team, for some unknown or stupid reason - elected to live in a canvas tent for winter time. They wont make it three weeks into winter.

I started watching as it comes on right after Deadliest Catch. I've watchedthe last couple of weeks. It's kind of interesting and apparently, it's a good way to lose weight as all of the participants have lost weight due to having to ration food.

I like the show a lot; the Mrs. likes Deadliest Catch better, though. (I like them equally well). So it gets second billing in our current Alaska-related reality TV show line up.

My wife is just the opposite. She really likes the Experiment. She has hunted and camped a lot in her life so she can relate to it better.

I'm enjoying it so far. Can't believe the single dad lets his daughters talk to him like they do. I'd b!tch slap them across the abandoned shack they're living in.

I was thinking the same thing, well not the B-slapin part but just how they were talking down to him. If that was me and my daughters, i'd wait till they were asleep, strap them to those hammocks, poor water on them and open the window. I'd let them know that if they didn't show me respect, the next step would be outside and naked with a meat necklace for the bears.

Where and when is this on. It sounds kewl...

Tuesday nights at 8PM mountain standard time on Discovery. It follows the deadliest catch. Last night was the third or fourth episode, but I am sure they are rerunning the others on Discovery.

Tuesday nights at 8PM mountain standard time on Discovery. It follows the deadliest catch. Last night was the third or fourth episode, but I am sure they are rerunning the others on Discovery.

Mountain Standard or Mountain Daylight? Cause that makes it either 10 or 11 here, depending. I'm just sayin'... :wacko:

I have it programmed on our DVR as well, along with Deadliest Catch and Man vs. Wild. Those daughters are annoying. As soon as they made it to their cabin, they hung out at and "vegged" (sat around and ate peanut butter with a spoon) while their dad went out to provide for their fat azzes.

Man vs. Wild - That show is crazy... the guy gets stuck in the most remote/dangerous places in the world, and then shows the audience how to survive with nothing but a knife and the clothes on his back. Kind of a more "well-rounded" crocodile hunter, if you will. Always making comments about the predicaments that he is in ("One slip off this steep rock and I'd be a goner"), which remind me of the Croc Hunter saying stuff like "One bite from this tiny snake and I'd be dead." Very entertaining show, and the guy's vast knowledge of the wild/nature is amazing. Anybody who eats frogs, beetles, worms, etc. gets my attention. Not to mention when he made "tea" from the shat of some other animal in Africa. :D

Both very educational/entertaining shows, IMO. I find something interesting on that channel every time I check it out. I'm acutally considering getting rid of HBO at our house, due to all of the good shows to watch elsewhere. All of the good HBO shows seem to be done, for now anyway, and anything that comes out in the future we can always rent the whole season or get it through our Blockbuster.com membership. With that, we don't need HBO for the movies, either.

The problem is that DirecTV is a pain.... they require you to call to cancel (can't just do it online), and from what I can tell, you can't just simply remove the HBO package from your programming without starting over, which causes the rest of your package to go up in cost. So, instead of saving $12, you probably end up saving a couple of bucks a month. Not even worth the phone call. :wacko: If not for NFL, I think I would tell DirecTV to fly a kite and go back to cable.

I have it programmed on our DVR as well, along with Deadliest Catch and Man vs. Wild. Those daughters are annoying. As soon as they made it to their cabin, they hung out at and "vegged" (sat around and ate peanut butter with a spoon) while their dad went out to provide for their fat azzes.

Well, look at it this way. When the slobs eat all the food they have in about 3 days, they can start their new weight loss clinic. That was amazing! They were ther a total of 5 minutes and already raiding the peanut butter. Weren't they also eating raw potatos? This is where I do my pig noise. I don't know why but my friends say it sound authentic and they get a good laugh out of it.

Do they replay this week's episode of Deadliest Catch? I missed it cause of the hockey game and forgot to watch the replay at 11:00PM ET.

Did anyone see last nights episode? The three people who live in that cabin who had enough food and firewood to last the winter decided "Hey, let's hike 40 miles, through a river valley and up a glacier to go see two other people on the show".

The balls they had doing that. You couldn't pay me enough to hike 40 miles in the Alaskan interior during the winter time. The whole time they are trying to cross that big gap in the ice, i was certain one of them were going to fall in. No way I would ever do that. Did you see the current?

It was pretty crazy to see them start falling apart when their water ran out and they were low on food.

great show.

Well, look at it this way. When the slobs eat all the food they have in about 3 days, they can start their new weight loss clinic. That was amazing! They were ther a total of 5 minutes and already raiding the peanut butter. Weren't they also eating raw potatos? This is where I do my pig noise. I don't know why but my friends say it sound authentic and they get a good laugh out of it.

Do they replay this week's episode of Deadliest Catch? I missed it cause of the hockey game and forgot to watch the replay at 11:00PM ET.

Can't wait to see the change in that cabin when the food they stored for three has to feed five. :wacko:

Did anyone see last nights episode? The three people who live in that cabin who had enough food and firewood to last the winter decided "Hey, let's hike 40 miles, through a river valley and up a glacier to go see two other people on the show".

The balls they had doing that. You couldn't pay me enough to hike 40 miles in the Alaskan interior during the winter time. The whole time they are trying to cross that big gap in the ice, i was certain one of them were going to fall in. No way I would ever do that. Did you see the current?

It was pretty crazy to see them start falling apart when their water ran out and they were low on food.

great show.

I was almost yelling at my wife about how stupid this three are. So now, they show up at this cabin with no food and no water and they're expecting the couple to feed them and maybe provide them with enough food to get back to their own cabin? morans.

I was almost yelling at my wife about how stupid this three are. So now, they show up at this cabin with no food and no water and they're expecting the couple to feed them and maybe provide them with enough food to get back to their own cabin? morans.

Yeah, that was dumb. Not to mention inconsiderate.

I get a kick out of the guy who takes a dump about 5 feet from his daughters beds. I understand its cold out, but come on toughen up.

The couple who walked up from Icy Bay did not seem to impressed he was crappin in the bucket. You could tell they were really jealous of the big cabin, easier access to salmon and the wood available.

I really enjoy this show, even more then the deadliest catch.

Edited by Missoula Griz

I get a kick out of the guy who takes a dump about 5 feet from his daughters beds. I understand its cold out, but come on toughen up.

The couple who walked up from Icy Bay did not seem to impressed he was crappin in the bucket. You could tell they were really jealous of the big cabin, easier access to salmon and the wood available.

I really enjoy this show, even more then the deadliest catch.

That couple in the canvas tent got screwed in terms of resource allocation. They've easily got the toughest living circumstances. Losing half their salmon due to sealing error was a crippling blow to them.