[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cheap stuff to do with your kids around the house this summer

Atlanta Cracker

We're doing the clubhouse/swingset thing this summer. One of my favorite things to do is play hide and go seek. While he's counting, I grab my golf clubs and head to the course. It's always funny to see him still looking for me when I return 5 hours later. Good times.

:wacko:

- slip-n-slide

- playdoe

- 4 square in the driveway

- believe it or not household chores are fun for kids, and give them a sense of pulling their weight

- and last but not least...find a lake/pond and go rock skipping

These are all things I do, along with many more already mentioned. I also took my sons bowling last week. They loved it.

explain to them why Daddy wore tight red speedo's last 4th of July at a big party in front of 75 people :wacko:

:D If that's the excuse you're using they by all means go with it :D

dig for worms... go fishing

A co-worker suggested that my 11 & 13 year old boys & myself join him & his 3 & 5 year olds. My older one caught a fish & they are hooked! I've done limited fishing but this is cheap 3 - 4 hours worth of entertainment.

Great thread. One of the better threads I have read in a while.

I am a big fan of catching crayfish and salamanders in a local streams.

You can do this for hours because the buggers and be pretty elusive... especially early in the season.

Buy a cheap recurve bow and arrow... practice is always fun...

Boffer weapons... 3/4" PVC.... cross fitting and duct tape... be sure to put a little extra padding at the end... voila sword.. fighting...

tabletop RPGs... I am currently running one for my daughter as it keeps me close to her friends. I keeps me knowing who they are, what they are like and give them an extra reason not to lead my daughter into bad things (cause they don't want to disappoint us because they think we're cool)

Camping... if you have little ones camping in the yard will seem like an adventure to them.

I've got a weekend alone with the kids this weekend. I'm might have to steal this idea.

Anyone remember thos kits you could buy with the paper painted to be airplanes and you could make a bunch of different types of paper airplanes?

Wonder if they still make those.

Anyone remember thos kits you could buy with the paper painted to be airplanes and you could make a bunch of different types of paper airplanes?

Looks like they still do make them. :wacko:

There are a lot of good ideas in this thread ... My 2 1/2 year old really likes playing with his plastic golf clubs and battery operated golf cart. I was thinking of getting him some toddler clubs and taking him to the driving range this weekend. He has a nice left handed swing too.

I don't know who has Comcast, but they have several videos on how to make paper airplanes in the OnDemand section. I did one with my son one weekend. It kicked ass.

I don't know who has Comcast, but they have several videos on how to make paper airplanes in the OnDemand section. I did one with my son one weekend. It kicked ass.

I never thought of looking in OnDemand for activities. Great info. Thanks Atomic.

There are a lot of good ideas in this thread ... My 2 1/2 year old really likes playing with his plastic golf clubs and battery operated golf cart. I was thinking of getting him some toddler clubs and taking him to the driving range this weekend. He has a nice left handed swing too.

:wacko: If you can switch him to right, much less hassle when you get older.

I just looked at the activities on OnDemand. Very cool. I also noticed that in the program decriptions that it also says that the activities can be viewed online at www.activitytv.com. I just checked out the web site and there are some things on there that seem fun.