[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I spent 4½ hour at the IRS today.

FWmaker

Yup. Defending 2 clients at IRS Appeals level (that's 1 level up from the main audit level and just before trying the case in Tax Court). Not only that, it was in Newark, NJ. (not known as a garden spot of the good ol' USA).

ISSUES:

Both clients (considered wealthy) were being audited for the same issues:

Medical Expenses (neither had any, so it was no issue - don't know why the IRS selected this issue);

Charity (Cash, Check, etc.) - in the 10s of thousands;

Charity (Non-cash - i.e. donated clothes, furnishings, etc.) - between 5-10 thousand;

Unreimbursed Employee Business Expenses - 17 thousand on one, 36 thousand on the other;

Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions - between 5-10 thousand.

Both clients had suspect documentation. One couldn't produce records from 2 credit cards (out of business and he didn't save originals). Both had VERY little covering cash contributions. Both had pretty good Non-cash charity documentation (not great, but good). Both had documentation supporting about 70% of the Misc. Itemized Deductions.

Conservatively, 15K - 20K in tax was at issue (before interest & penalties) on the combined Federal & State level. Not to mention, if there was a moderate tax deficiency, both would have been subject to additional years being opened.

OUTCOME::

After alot of hemming and hawing and psychological warfare (I've dealt with this Appeals Agent before), I got the IRS to give both taxpayers a complete conscession on all issues. It was not easy, I'll tell you. In fact, I am physically drained and exhausted. So, the taxpayers owe $0 to Uncle Sam, we do not have to amend any state returns, the IRS will not open other years (probably the most important item, and I did not get mugged in Newark.

The clients will gladly pay for my services. :wacko:

You sound like a lawyer I might actually like. I'm always worried about the donations, particularly the clothes, furnishings etc...

Nope, Perch, not a Lawyer.

And Muck - my knees aren't dirty. I do lose sometimes. But I've got a VERY good track record and a great reputation w/ the IRS.

Nope, Perch, not a Lawyer.

And Muck - my knees aren't dirty. I do lose sometimes. But I've got a VERY good track record and a great reputation w/ the IRS.

Get ready for a strange IRS question. I am involved in a real estate deal with them and do not know where to start.