[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chemo or not?

rocknrobn26

What would you do??? :wacko:

Aqua aside..........I have had too many friends that had to make that decision in the last year (5 at last count).

Don't knee jerk here. Consider age, averages, etc.. Yeah, we are all 58+.

Being strong, for whatever is BS!

I don't know the answer, but I don't want to lose close friends/family, but as a friend of my wife (MD) has said..."We are all lab rats!" That is, that they learn something when the do chemo/Rad, etc. and make it better for the next person (victim) Sorry, but I don't want to be a lab rat!

Yeah....I'm ramblin' and :D .

Thanks for the vent! :D:D

And in all honestly, I don't like you asking this question. I pray everything is all right.

+1000.....

I don't have all that much experience or knowledge to share. However I do have a pretty good friend and golfing buddy who this winter was diagnosed with brain and lung cancer. They found 7 tumors in his brain and one in his lung. I know he has been through both chemo and radiation. We learned last night that after the latest radiation treatments on his brain that now two of the brain tumors have completely disappeared. The other 5 are significantly smaller. The tumor in his lung is also smaller, but from his message it sounds like they were doing the chemo with that one? As he said his Dr has decided to switch the treatment on the lung tumor to radiation since there has been so much improvement with the brain tumors.

Hope all is well with you.

What would you do??? :wacko:

Aqua aside..........I have had too many friends that had to make that decision in the last year (5 at last count).

Don't knee jerk here. Consider age, averages, etc.. Yeah, we are all 58+.

Being strong, for whatever is BS!

I don't know the answer, but I don't want to lose close friends/family, but as a friend of my wife (MD) has said..."We are all lab rats!" That is, that they learn something when the do chemo/Rad, etc. and make it better for the next person (victim) Sorry, but I don't want to be a lab rat!

Yeah....I'm ramblin' and :D .

Thanks for the vent! :D:D

I don't understand the question. I know a lot about chemo... it works. :D

I really don't know what I would do. I guess it would all depend on the individual situation. I would have to consider the risks of what would happen with/without chemo for a specific scenario.

That being said, my friend, I hope everything is ok and that it is not a decision that you, your loved ones or any friends have to make. God bless you RR.

The decision on whether or not to undergo chemotherapy really depends on the type of cancer, how aggressive it is, how far it has spread, and the general health and age of the patient. It will obviously be given by a medical oncologist who should sit down with the patient and describe what to expect (side-effects, complications, & benefits) and the odds for cure (prognosis). Alternatives to chemotherapy should also be discussed (radiation therapy, surgery, etc.). After all this information is given, a second (or third) opinion might be needed to make sure the patient is comfortable with whatever treatment plan is chosen.

The good news on chemotherapy is that the results in general have gotten better over the years due to newer medications that are more effective and less toxic to the patient. On the horizon is nanotechnology, gene therapy, and immunotherapy that could make traditional chemotherapy agents obsolete.

My mother-in-law had breast cancer and lived an extra 6 years thanks to chemo, 4 1/2 of those years were high quality. Unfortunately she passed away 3 months before our first daughter was born, 10 years ago. I'm sure they have improved the drugs since then.

I have a great-uncle that had prostrate cancer 5 years ago, had radiation pellets, and has been cancer free for about 4 years, and plays golf daily.

Grandmother had lung cancer, by the time they caught it, it was too late, I wish they had never done the treatments.

As miserable as the process is, I support the treatment in the right situation. My father has been in remission from Hogkins for 20+ years. Without it, I would have been fatherless at 10 years old. There does seem to be a significant number of people I know that are facing the same question right now.

Good luck.

I think a lot depends on the individual, the type of cancer, and their desire to live. Of the three people that I've known go through it I'm 1-2. My Dad had chemo for cancer in his prostate and bladder, also had to have the bladder removed. It was successful, he was 63 at the time and lived until he ws 74. He did say that if he knew it was going to be as bad as it was he wouldn't have done it and refused to go through it a second time.

The other two times were friends that were in their early to mid 30's and in the prime of health. Both were taken by a very aggressive lymphatic cancer. Chemo just couldn't work fast enough as they were both in stage 3 when diagnosed.

RR, I really hope that everything is OK with you and your family.

:wacko: You know the rules here. You have to give all the info so that we can make an informed decision. You didn't even give scoring rules let alone the players. :D

Everything better be alright with you and yours my friend... and your post is about a friend. Not that it makes it any better, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to hear that this has to do with you or yours.

However...in a general answer....

Dad...experimental chemo (1971) lived about two months after diagnosis. Extremely rare cancer.

Mom...chemo sent breast cancer into 15 year remission... came back as lung cancer and she lasted less than a year.

Sister...chemo sent breast cancer into remission and it has been 8 years so far.

You know the story on Earline. Chemo and radiation gave us two extra years. Two years I would never give away.

You do what you have to do given all the circumstances and what your goals and motivations are. When it comes my turn I won't lift a finger.

My grandfather passed after not being able to recover from chemo treatment. It was horrible to see him wither away to nothing. Chemo is Hell to be sure, but as bad as chemo can be the alternative can be much, much worse.

you basically poison yourself to get better. i guess it does beat the alternative. my fil passed last november from lc. the chemo was brutal for him, but the hope of getting better to see his grandson grow up kept him going. his daily pill regiment filled a shoebox.

Thanks for replies.

We got some bad news yesterday about a close cousin of my wife. She was diagnosed w/ ovarian cancer about a year ago. It was pretty far along and they had to do radical chemo for 9 months. The poor woman could hardly get out of bed during that time. She is 60 years old (I'm 59). My wife talked to her yesterday she said that her numbers are worse and they have to pretty much start all over. It hit me like a brick. That and two HS girl friends of mine had breast cancer this year. They're OK,for now. I just needed to vent as I was talking with my wfe as to why bother sometimes with the treatments. Take what time you have left and enjoy it as best as you can.

My daughter traveling to Asia (today) isn't helping my mood either. We are very nervous about that.

Thanks for asking,

rr26

PS:

I typed a 5 in the original post. 3 is the correct number. Sorry for that. Didn't proof read.

the latest data i've seen indicates that overall, cancer rates are down in the u.s. i have to tell you, i have no idea how that is. i can never remember anytime in my 40 year lifetime where more cancer cases have surfaced for friends, family members, etc. seems like it's now not a matter of if, but when.

could we have a government cover-up here?

the latest data i've seen indicates that overall, cancer rates are down in the u.s. i have to tell you, i have no idea how that is. i can never remember anytime in my 40 year lifetime where more cancer cases have surfaced for friends, family members, etc. seems like it's now not a matter of if, but when.

could we have a government cover-up here?

It's a matter of perception. The older you get, the more people you know and the more time you've had to be exposed to people that have gotten the big C.