[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you know anyone unemployed

polksalet

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. Unemployment is based on your last job's salary. Better to stay on unemployment at a high rate than to get a cheesy job that pays less.

Which leads to lower unemployment benefits when you lose the cheesy job.

unless you are SELF EMPLOYED...then you get NO Unemployment

I've never, ever even considered unemployment, whats that like?

good for you....see above

I have to agree with TimC to an extent. Now if you are disabled, then I can understand being unemployed. But for a healthy person to say they cannot find a job is BS. They may go from $100k a year to $30k...but there are plenty of jobs out there if you're willing to get your hands dirty.

I was making around 80K/yr plus bonuses and benefits when I decided to open my own business....once we closed the business this yr due to economic conditions I had to look for work....IF i wanted to relocate I could have jumped right back to that salary range if I moved back to the Philly area....however, I didn't want to relocate....I submitted resumes for jobs I was clearly qualified/over-qualified for and didn't even get a friggin interview......Scotts was one company...they needed a District Merchandising Manager to oversee their layouts in Lowes etc....All I got from them was a thanks for applying(about 4 weeks after I applied)....not even and interview and I have written Merchandising Guidelines for a major retailer that has sales in excess of 2 Billion bucks......7-11 needed a District Manager....with over 8 yrs of Multi Store Management(responsible for as many as 200 stores nationwide..yes 200) and close to 20 yrs in retail I was qualified/over-qualified for the position and again it took 3-4 weeks to get a response saying thanks but no thanks, not even an interview...and then like 3-4 weeks later they were still trying to fill the position...so what do I end up doing...I take a job as a Park Attendant II(second in charge at a county park) with the county....I am making less then 30K a year right now but I do have a job and it is nice to be able to be out in nature as much as I am....but it comes with trade offs....nice benefits, check...good salary, NO....opportunity to move up within the County, HOPE SO.....I was willing to take a part time job at Farm Fresh(grocery store) before I got the county job and Farm Fresh who is always hiring didn't even call me for an interview.

I really hope and pray that none of you lose your job for any reason and have to try and find employment....it really isnt as easy as it sounds/looks.

So I'm the only one here that's ever been turned down for a job for the BS reason of "over-qualified"?

I suppose the Denver market's different?

no you aren't

I can say without equivocation that you are the ONLY one I have ever heard of getting turned down for a job for being over-qualified.

now you know of 2

Edited by keggerz

No, I was turned down for being 'over-qualified". Bummed because I thoguht it could have been a good opportunity to get in with the company.

See above.

This was a concern. I tried to alleviate them but to no avail. The HR person wanted me to come in, the hiring manager did as well, but their boss squashed it.. or so they said.

Not always. I was willing to take the pay being offered for the position that was open, and I was quite interested in the work to be done for the position being offered. Yes. my goal was to use the position as a stepping stone within the company, but that still did not get me an in. I was bummed as the position was at offices about 5 minutes from my house as opposed to the hour I drive now.

i had to interview my ass off to sell to the county why they should hire me when they felt I was much more qualified to find another job(read: a better paying job)...it was not easy and to be honest had I not secured that job(and I know you and a few know how quickly i got that job) I don't know what I would have done...luckily the guy that hired me really likes me and says that his superiors are aware of me and that I am at the top of the list for a promotion when something comes up.....

people that havent been there just really wont be able to grasp it....and trust me I hope you never have to be there because once you walk in those shoes you will know just how frustrating and hard it really is.

Edited by keggerz

As an employer, when we tell someone they are over qualified, what that really means is we think you are an El Guapo and we wouldn't want to work with you, but we are too nice to actually say that. I've never turned down someone for truly being over qualified, but I've used that excuse at least 50 times. The fact of the matter is we have a hard enough time finding qualified people, and we pay about 20% to 30% more than most of our competitors for field superintendents. I'd hire 4 or 5 more right now if I could find them.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

As an employer, when we tell someone they are over qualified, what that really means is we think you are an El Guapo and we wouldn't want to work with you, but we are too nice to actually say that. I've never turned down someone for truly being over qualified, but I've used that excuse at least 50 times. The fact of the matter is we have a hard enough time finding qualified people, and we pay about 20% to 30% more than most of our competitors for field superintendents. I'd hire 4 or 5 more right now if I could find them.

that is a valid point....but also if you are over qualified many times you wont even get the interview :wacko:

I am a recruiter- and you can bet yo azz candidates are turned down for being over-qualified- especially in today's market. Happens all the freakin time, peeps want to change careers, commute less, get into different fields, new challenges, work for a specific company, whatever.

Many employers will not hire an over-qualified candidate b/c they feel they will not be challenged enough and get bored. Over-qualified can be another word for TOO OLD as well- sometimes they want someone younger, on the upward swing of their career. Some HM flat out will not want to hire someone who is going after a position that is not a natural upward progression......... and is a step down from previous gigs.

The fact of the matter is we have a hard enough time finding qualified people, and we pay about 20% to 30% more than most of our competitors for field superintendents. I'd hire 4 or 5 more right now if I could find them.

Same issue in TX as MN, huh? There's a total scarcity of all levels of construction professionals right now. Great field to be in if you're looking to be hired, for sure.

I am a recruiter- and you can bet yo azz candidates are turned down for being over-qualified- especially in today's market. Happens all the freakin time, peeps want to change careers, commute less, get into different fields, new challenges, work for a specific company, whatever.

Many employers will not hire an over-qualified candidate b/c they feel they will not be challenged enough and get bored. Over-qualified can be another word for TOO OLD as well- sometimes they want someone younger, on the upward swing of their career. Some HM flat out will not want to hire someone who is going after a position that is not a natural upward progression......... and is a step down from previous gigs.

I hired a lady who wanted to focus on technology and get out of management altogether. Very good hire.

younger usually equates to a smaller salary too...compared to more experienced individuals

I don't know anyone that is unemployed. The local economy is strong - even Ford is building a facility here. I have a heck of a time recruitiung for open positions. :wacko:

Haven't seen you around for a while, Jimmy. Welcome brack.