[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fun with Mom

FWmaker

Well all, I'm in the waiting room at NY Presbyterian Hospital for Special Surgery. Mom was taken up about an hour ago. She had a hip replacement done in the beginning of December of 2007. Problem is, "it didn't take." She's been in unbelievable pain ever since and can barely walk. The Doc (new Doc, not the one who did the operation) believes it is due to an infection around the prosthesis. I've come to be very cynical lately and am not sure if it's true or if they don't know what's wrong or if Doc is covering for Doc. Either way, it's been decided to remove the prosthesis for six weeks to allow for healing. This is done by puting in a concrete "spacer" that takes the place of the prothesis. This slab of concrete is infused with antibiotics. She'll be home in about 6 days and on intrevenous at home until they open her up again to put in a new appliance. No matter what I think - whether it's a conspiracy or not - I'm hoping that the procedures go well (obviously) and the mere fact that they are actually opening up mom to see what the hell is really going on, and that she's getting a new appliance, will alleviate her problems. She's been very depressed and that's been a burden on everyone involved. One good thing here...I've got three of my clients that are nurses in this hospital and will be able to look in on her and will feed me info.

I'll be back later. Thanks.

FW,

The best wishes and prayers are coming for your Mom! Moms are special to sons!

FWIW...I was at the Vet's office the other day (We know the whole family real well) and my Vet's Mom had a problem with her Hip replacement also. She slipped on the stairs and somehow it broke some bone and shifted. She got it replaced but will be in a rehab center for at least 2 weeks.

See her as often as possible. Be the brick and keep her spirits high! That's all you can do, but do it!

Keep us apprised of the situation also! My best to you also, as it won't be easy!

rr26

Why couldn't they just fill her up with antibiotics and leave the hip in? Sounds like they're going to pump her full anyways?

Bone infections are extrememly difficult to cure (due to the poor blood supply of bone tissue itself) and having a foreign material (a prosthesis) present in the same area can make it impossible. The fact that patients who need hip replacements are elderly and may not be in the greatest of health makes fighting infection even tougher. While not knowing all the details of her situation, it seems likely that her doc was faced with this scenario and had to take the unfortunate step of removing the first prosthesis and inserting the antibiotic spacer to clear the area of infection. After this occurs he can go back again later to insert a second prosthesis with hopefully better long-term results.

Edited by Chargerz

Thanks for the well wishes and good thoughts. Chargerz hit it on the head. The doctor is well respected in this field from what I understand and he brought up my mom's case and films with some collegues/friends at the Mayo Clinic. They agree with the course of action take. By the way, last night's surgery went ok. Doc said infection did not as yet adversely affect the existing bone or soft tissues in the area. The old prosthesis goes now to pathology for testing and cataloging like the Ark of the Covenent ("Raiders of the Lost Ark"). Labs will be testing for different infections on tissues taken during surgery. Can be aerobic or anaerobic infections - some more difficult than others to screen for.

I'll update when I can. Probably won't be for some time now as we are playing the waiting game.