[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Retirement Around The Corner?

Footballjoe

In four days I will qualify to retire with full benefits. Been with the company for 26 years. I bought back 4 years from service with another company under the same retirement system. I am not planning on going anywhere but am looking at my options. May go full time with my Handyman Business. May look into doing Insurance Inspections or may try to find a job similiar to what I am doing now in demolition. It feels mighty good to know I can go in most any direction I want. When you are :wacko: this weekend, drink one for me. :D

Curious to know what retirement benefits your company gives you. Do you get a % of your salaray? Any healthcare benefits?

I am under the Virginia Retirement System. Its based on total yrs, age and 3 highest yrs of salary. I am not sure what % I get but as of next week I would get just under $2500.00 a month. Not enough to live off of but a good start. I am only 52. If I stayed here another 10 yrs I could get about $3500 a month based on a 2% increase in salary per year. I can opt to get Health Insurance for a few yrs. My thinking is if I retire and draw the $2500 a month plus get another job I could possibly bring home another $30,000.00 a year. Of course, it would have to be the right job. I have been looking at my options.

In four days I will qualify to retire with full benefits. Been with the company for 26 years. I bought back 4 years from service with another company under the same retirement system. I am not planning on going anywhere but am looking at my options. May go full time with my Handyman Business. May look into doing Insurance Inspections or may try to find a job similiar to what I am doing now in demolition. It feels mighty good to know I can go in most any direction I want. When you are :D this weekend, drink one for me. :D

In about 9 years, I'll feel the same way. Congrats! :D

i cant wait til i can cash my social security checks........

:D

If you have SS. :wacko:

In four days I will qualify to retire with full benefits. Been with the company for 26 years. I bought back 4 years from service with another company under the same retirement system. I am not planning on going anywhere but am looking at my options. May go full time with my Handyman Business. May look into doing Insurance Inspections or may try to find a job similiar to what I am doing now in demolition. It feels mighty good to know I can go in most any direction I want. When you are :wacko: this weekend, drink one for me. :D

I'll drink more than one!! :D:D:D:D

I can't wait to make a similar post in a few years. :D

My wife has told me....

"Because you are the man, you have to work until you are dead"

I need to find a new wife.......

We are apparently married to the same woman. :wacko:

+1

+2 :D

...I am not planning on going anywhere but am looking at my options.

Maybe you could consider starting an internet Fantasy Football advice site ... seems like anybody with a registered domain name can make a living at that these days.

:wacko:

What is this word "retirement" you speak of? :D

You mean if you stay with a company long enough, they pay you after you leave?

Now that's just crazy.

Keep working. Retirement sucks. HELL US RETIREES NEED YOU WORKING SLUGS TO SUBSIDIZE OUR FUN! :slap:

I'll drink more than one!! :D:D:D:D

I can't wait to make a similar post in a few years. :guns:

Hope that's a short few, my friend! :smash:

FJ,

I pulled the pin when I was 53 (30+ years in Jr. High, HS, and college). That was 6 years ago w/ no regrets. I was a college Prof, w/ the cash incentives I'm pulling about 75% of my income when I retired w/ 3% raises every year. Understand that no one gets 100% of their salary. When you consider that I no longer pay 9.5% for retirement, 3% for State Income tax, and no longer pay into 403B's, my cut in pay was less than 10%! Health Insurance is the biggie. W/ additional incentives I pay about $125/ month w/ a decent but not great PPO. When I turn 65 I can pull Medicare (I had time in the private sector plus my own business) and my Health insurance will be secondary at about $55/month. But I have a ways to go to get there.

I taught P/T for awhile (~3 years), but after a couple of bad classes (disinterested students) and the college changing from quarters to semesters, I said the hell with it. I've been bored maybe 3 days in the last 6 years! :D So I maxed out the Photo classes at my old CC, free of charge.

The wife retired 2 years ago (35 years teaching Jr. High Mostly :wacko: ). Initially she was nervous as to what to do w/ her time. She went P/T job hunting, but they were all nights and weekends. She got involved in a local garden club and voila she couldn't care less about a job!

Retirement is like a party. Some people say "The party sucked!" Others at the same party say "I thought it was Great!". It's what YOU make of it.

BTW...the secret answer when some non-retired friend asks you "What do you do all day?". Your answer is "Anything I want!."

When they ask again and say "No...seriously...what do you do all day?." You still answer (with gusto) "A-n-y-t-h-i-n-g I w-a-n-t!." :pokey:

Enjoy, FJ! You earned it, YOU enjoy it anyway you can!

rr26

Keep working. Retirement sucks. HELL US RETIREES NEED YOU WORKING SLUGS TO SUBSIDIZE OUR FUN! :D

Hope that's a short few, my friend! :D

FJ,

I pulled the pin when I was 53 (30+ years in Jr. High, HS, and college). That was 6 years ago w/ no regrets. I was a college Prof, w/ the cash incentives I'm pulling about 75% of my income when I retired w/ 3% raises every year. Understand that no one gets 100% of their salary. When you consider that I no longer pay 9.5% for retirement, 3% for State Income tax, and no longer pay into 403B's, my cut in pay was less than 10%! Health Insurance is the biggie. W/ additional incentives I pay about $125/ month w/ a decent but not great PPO. When I turn 65 I can pull Medicare (I had time in the private sector plus my own business) and my Health insurance will be secondary at about $55/month. But I have a ways to go to get there.

I taught P/T for awhile (~3 years), but after a couple of bad classes (disinterested students) and the college changing from quarters to semesters, I said the hell with it. I've been bored maybe 3 days in the last 6 years! :D So I maxed out the Photo classes at my old CC, free of charge.

The wife retired 2 years ago (35 years teaching Jr. High Mostly :wacko: ). Initially she was nervous as to what to do w/ her time. She went P/T job hunting, but they were all nights and weekends. She got involved in a local garden club and voila she couldn't care less about a job!

Retirement is like a party. Some people say "The party sucked!" Others at the same party say "I thought it was Great!". It's what YOU make of it.

BTW...the secret answer when some non-retired friend asks you "What do you do all day?". Your answer is "Anything I want!."

When they ask again and say "No...seriously...what do you do all day?." You still answer (with gusto) "A-n-y-t-h-i-n-g I w-a-n-t!." :D

Enjoy, FJ! You earned it, YOU enjoy it anyway you can!

rr26

I must be in a screwed up retirement system. From the calculations I got I will get less than 50% of my salary and still have to pay taxes. :D I am still looking at options. I know there will be plenty to do once I do retire but need to get the kids out of college first.