[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dallas won't make the 2008 playoffs

Grits and Shins

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

playoff scenario if season ended today:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

my question is can the Cowboys still make the playoffs if they lose any of the remaining games, namely Philly. What happens if TB loses out,we win the next one, then lose to Philly in the final game?

If Dallas beats Baltimiore and Philly beats Washington next week then Dallas will not make the playoffs if they lose to Philly.

playoff scenario if season ended today:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

my question is can the Cowboys still make the playoffs if they lose any of the remaining games, namely Philly. What happens if TB loses out,we win the next one, then lose to Philly in the final game?

Assuming Dallas goes 1-1 the rest of the way:

If Philly wins out, and Atlanta wins out, Dallas would be out.

If Tampa and Atlanta each lose a game in addition to Dallas, then Chicago (if they win-out) would also be in the mix at 10-6.

Still a lot to be decided.

What's interesting for Dallas is if they, Tampa and Atl all lose next week (not inconceivable). All the tiebreakers have been focused on all three winning out, but if they all lose next week then were to win the final week, could have a four way tie (including Chicago).

My understanding is that in a three way tie, Atl is left out in the cold, but that's based on a tie at 11-5. Not sure if it changes at 10-6, nor how Chicago fits in.

Doesn't matter though as Philly will win week 17 - does matter if both Atl and Tampa lose next week and Dal wins cause then instead of a three (or 4) way tie for 2 spots, could be for one spot.

If Dallas beats Baltimiore and Philly beats Washington next week then Dallas will not make the playoffs if they lose to Philly.

I beleive thats not right....if Tampa goes 0-2, and Atlanta goes 1-1 or 0-2 ....then Dallas and Philly would both make the playoffs.

Philly 10-5-1

Dallas 10-6

Atlanta 10-6 (lose tiebreaker to Dallas)

Tampa 9-7

the dopes on espn last nite said something about Dallas can have a playoff spot wrapped up prior to their week 17 game vs the eagles...call me crazy but that isnt even remotely possible, is it?

edit; and this has nothing to do with wanting or not wanting dallas in...it has to do with those guys should know this crap

Edited by keggerz

the dopes on espn last nite said something about Dallas can have a playoff spot wrapped up prior to their week 17 game vs the eagles...call me crazy but that isnt even remotely possible, is it?

edit; and this has nothing to do with wanting or not wanting dallas in...it has to do with those guys should know this crap

If the Eagles, Tampa, Atlanta and Chicago all lose this week, and Dallas wins:

Dallas 10-5

Tampa 9-6

Atlanta 9-6

Eagles 8-6-1

Chicago 8-7

At that point, even if Dallas loses to the Eagles and Tampa and Atlanta both win Week 17, I beleive Dallas would still get in by virtue of the tiebreaker over the Falcons (who would have another conference loss if they lose to Minnesota this weekend).

So yes, Dallas could conceivably clinch this weekend, though it would take a lot for it to happen.

they are exactly right.

Dallas wins, and Tampa, Atlanta and Philly lose, Dallas is in next week.

In fact Philly doesnt even have to lose.

If Dallas wins and Tampa and Atlanta both lose, Dallas is in.

Scenerio:

Dallas would be 10-5

Atlanta would be 9-6

Tampa would be 9-6

Even if Dallas loses to Philly, the best there could be is a 3 way tie for the 6 seed at seasons end.

Dallas would have H2H on Tampa, and Conference tiebreaker on Atlanta if all 3 teams are 10-6

Scenerio:

Dallas would be 10-5

Atlanta would be 9-6

Tampa would be 9-6

Even if Dallas loses to Philly, the best there could be is a 3 way tie for the 6 seed at seasons end.

Dallas would have H2H on Tampa, and Conference tiebreaker on Atlanta if all 3 teams are 10-6

Wouldn't Chicago, if they too were to finish at 10-6 by winning out, impact that analysis?

I think Dallas would also need Chicago to lose this week to clinch...though I'm not totally sure.

they are exactly right.

Dallas wins, and Tampa, Atlanta and Philly lose, Dallas is in next week.

Scenerio:

Dallas would be 10-5

Atlanta would be 9-6

Tampa would be 9-6

thanks...and as you pointed out a bunch has to happen for them to have week 17 not mean anything ...the way i heard them talking about it was like it wasnt gonna take much more then a win...but i wasnt paying complete attention to them so I should give them the benefit of the doubt but then again they are ESPN and they dont really deserve any

thanks...and as you pointed out a bunch has to happen for them to have week 17 not mean anything ...the way i heard them talking about it was like it wasnt gonna take much more then a win...but i wasnt paying complete attention to them so I should give them the benefit of the doubt but then again they are ESPN and they dont really deserve any

I heard the same thing during ESPN's post-game discussion. Steve Young and Stuart Scott brought up the play-off scenario and quickly agreed that if the Cowboys won their next game that week 17 didn't matter. I thought that was incorrect when I heard them say that.

I tell you what... Whichever team ends up with the #5 seed has a really good chance to beat Arizona. The Cards have looked pretty bad the last few weeks. They are definitely more beatable on the road than whoever wins the NFL Central (assuming that team becomes the #3 seed). I think Dallas can handle Baltimore this weekend, especially if their defense plays as well as it did this past weekend. Then it comes down to the Philly game. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tampa lose to the Chargers, as the Chargers are one of those teams that usually hangs with their opponent no matter who it is. And Minnesota is a tough team to beat in the Metrodome. I truly think things falling Dallas' way this weekend seem likely.

There are three scenarios I figure for the Eagles -

1) they host Dallas in a "winner goes to playoffs, loser goes home" game (based on either Tampa or Atl losing this coming weekend and Philly and Dallas winning)

2) they host Dallas in a "Dallas win, goes to the playoffs, Dallas loss, goes home, unless some miracle happens in the other games, Eagles miss regardless" based on all of Dallas, Atl and Tpa winning this weekend

3) Dallas needs the win to even have a shot, Philly has none (Dal loses this wkend, Atl and Tpa win this wkend)

So, while I'm hoping it's the first one, at least in some fashion we can screw Dallas....

UPDATE

Following a nice win against the Giants the Boys drop a turd in their last game at Texas Stadium. Pretty much eliminates them from the playoffs IMO.

Dallas is now 9-6 and will be on the road next week against Philly.

TBB (9-5) gets two home games against SDC and OAK. I think they win both ... but IF they lose one they will be 10-6

ATL (9-5) may lose to Minnesota but will beat STL .. IF they go 1-1 they will be 10-6

CHI (8-6) could win out

Chicago should defeat Green Bay possibly even Houston ... they will be 9-7 or 10-6

CHICAGO (8-6)

CHI vs GBP

CHI @ HOU

Minnesota is hard to predict ... they could lose both or win both (if the Giants are resting).

MINNESOTA (9-5)

MIN vs ATL

MIN @ NYG

Philadelphia will likely defeat the Skins this week ...

PHILADELPHIA (8-5-1)

PHI @ WAS

PHI vs DAL

NYG wins their division

CAR wins their division

MIN wins their division

ARI wins their division

TBB (11-5) gets the first wild card

That leaves everybody else scruming for the last wild card

ATL (10-6) (7-5 in conference) if they win one of the last two

CHI (10-6) (7-5 in conference) if they win the last two

DAL (10-6) (8-4 in conference) if they defeat PHI

PHI (10-5-1) (8-4 in conference) if they win the last two

As long as Atlanta and Tampa Bay don't win out and Dallas defeats Philly they will back into the play offs. For whatever good that will do them. This week I am a Minnesota fan.

Please fire doughboy Phillips.

I've also come to the conclusion that Romo is probably as good as he is ever going to be.

You've come to this conclusion after 2 1/2 seasons as a starter, with the latter two being under a cream-puff "player's coach" that none of the players listen to? :wacko:

Romo has a ridiculous amount of talent. I'd bet that a coaching staff that forces him to protect the ball and to play within the system would improve his play tremendously.

You've come to this conclusion after 2 1/2 seasons as a starter, with the latter two being under a cream-puff "player's coach" that none of the players listen to? :wacko:

Romo has a ridiculous amount of talent. I'd bet that a coaching staff that forces him to protect the ball and to play within the system would improve his play tremendously.

I agree with that.

I'll disagree with this.

Romo may have tremendous physical ability, but there's a lot more to being a stud NFL QB than being capable of throwing the ball all over the yard, or otherwise Jeff George would be a Hall of Famer. Romo makes poor decisions, his leadership skills are almot non-existent, and when the money is on the line he comes up way short. I'd say there is a perception that Romo is a top QB precisely because he is allowed to throw the ball all over the place, and that he is surrounded by some phemoninal talent on offense that makes him look a lot better than he is.

Let's understand, this guy isn't a rookie. He has 6 years in the league now - 3 of those where even his incredible physical gifts couldn't even get him a single regular season pass attempt. He should be right at the point where he is on top of his game and he is leading a team like DAL to championships. Instead, they haven't won a first round game in the playoffs in over a decade and may likely be on the outside looking in this year.

If you go away from a wide open O and force him into a conservative ball control O, I'd argue that you'd be going away from his strengths and playing right into his weaknesses.

I'll disagree with this.

Romo may have tremendous physical ability, but there's a lot more to being a stud NFL QB than being capable of throwing the ball all over the yard, or otherwise Jeff George would be a Hall of Famer. Romo makes poor decisions, his leadership skills are almot non-existent, and when the money is on the line he comes up way short. I'd say there is a perception that Romo is a top QB precisely because he is allowed to throw the ball all over the place, and that he is surrounded by some phemoninal talent on offense that makes him look a lot better than he is.

Let's understand, this guy isn't a rookie. He has 6 years in the league now - 3 of those where even his incredible physical gifts couldn't even get him a single regular season pass attempt. He should be right at the point where he is on top of his game and he is leading a team like DAL to championships. Instead, they haven't won a first round game in the playoffs in over a decade and may likely be on the outside looking in this year.

If you go away from a wide open O and force him into a conservative ball control O, I'd argue that you'd be going away from his strengths and playing right into his weaknesses.

All fair points. I just hope Romo can have a Peytonesque turn around from the guy who cant win a big one to a superbowl winner that plays with confidence now. I am not comparing the 2 because IMO Manning is one of the best to ever play the game but I feel Romo has the tools.

Romo makes poor decisions

Poor coaching instills a lack of discipline.

his leadership skills are almot non-existent,

I don't see any evidence of that.

and when the money is on the line he comes up way short

Many people (including you) were saying that about Peyton for a long time. How'd what work out?

Let's understand, this guy isn't a rookie. He has 6 years in the league now - 3 of those where even his incredible physical gifts couldn't even get him a single regular season pass attempt.

How long was Rich Gannon in the league before he became a Pro Bowl-caliber QB? And how many mediocre QBs were put ahead of him on the depth chart in the early and mid '90s? Romo looks a lot like a young Rich Gannon to me. Romo needs to find his Jon Gruden - somebody to develop him correctly and harness his talent.

He should be right at the point where he is on top of his game and he is leading a team like DAL to championships.

What in the hell are you talking about? He hasn't even been a starter for three full seasons, and he's SUPPOSED to be racking up championships? My God, I can't imagine how you felt about Elway back in the early '90s.

Quarterbacks don't always develop into studs overnight. It wasn't until about 2003 or 2004 that Peyton stopped trying to force balls into double-coverage on 3rd down. And it wasn't until about 2006 that he learned to make throws on the run and to utilize his check-downs as frequently as he should. Steve Young was far from a stud in his first four or five years in the league.

Did the Raiders, Niners, and Broncos use a "wide-open" offense with Gannon, Young, and Elway? No.

I didn't say that the Cowboys need to run the Ravens or Titans offense. I said that they need a coaching staff who will force Romo to stop forcing balls into coverage. There's a big difference.

Edited by Bill Swerski